Is recycling still worthwhile for Lakewood?

The jumping off discussion area for the rest of the Deck. All things Lakewood.
Please check out our other sections. As we refile many discussions from the past into
their proper sections please check them out and offer suggestions.

Moderators: Jim DeVito, Dan Alaimo

Tim Liston

Re: Is recycling still worthwhile for Lakewood?

Postby Tim Liston » Sun Jun 09, 2019 7:10 am

I've tried a couple times to learn what ultimately happens to the material that goes in our blue bins. I never did get a response to my email from the refuse department. My follow-up email (in March) was to my councilperson who promptly responded by saying that it all goes to a facility on Ridge Road and that "I do not think there is any way to determine what percent of material collected via Lakewood recycling bins is actually recycled...."

Now we're hearing the new mantra from the latest mailing: "When in doubt, throw it out."

To the question posed by the OP, my guess is that the answer is "no". And that we're now just going through the motions, at substantial taxpayer expense. After all, if it's the case that we cannot know the effectiveness of our recycling program, why do we still undertake it?

Richard Baker

Postby Richard Baker » Sun Jun 09, 2019 12:38 pm

Simple:
Eliminate disposable plastic products, especially land fill drinks including water and plastic packaging, when practical. Paper bags by all retail stores, Use glass, aluminum, tin and cardboard, all of which can be separated easily and have a market. Require, commercial establishments, clubs and companies, etc to recycle with separate dumpsters, millions of pounds of aluminum and plastic or glass are thrown into dumpsters to be buried in a land fill.

I remember deposits on bottles, it was significant at the time when you consider the average wages paid then and people returned them to the store. You didn't see many bottles laying around then but it will never happen, Americans, including the green nuts, are too damn spoiled and lazy to take their trash further than their driveway.

The last thing we need is some "Green" fee or another hidden tax by Democrats that is just another revenue source they can waste. After all it's their motto, if it can't be taxed you don't need it. They will hire some family member to expand or create a recycle department and hope the tax base will be able support the extra retirement expense. Or buy more expensive and exclusive water in plastic bottles for their staff meetings that will be throw into a dumpster to be buried in a land fill.

Does the City of Lakewood's city hall and their other buildings recycle?

Dan Alaimo

Postby Dan Alaimo » Sun Jun 09, 2019 1:11 pm

More rules infringing on personal freedom, but no taxes. How Republican of you.

“Never let a good crisis go to waste." - Winston Churchill (Quote later appropriated by Rahm Emanuel)
Dan Alaimo

Postby Dan Alaimo » Sun Jun 09, 2019 1:53 pm

A month or two ago there was a presentation at the Lakewood Dem Club from the county about plastic bags. I questioned how much of a problem it was in Lakewood - just in Lakewood. I realize, understand and will cooperate with the global problem which is very severe. But in asking that question I felt like I was breaking with Democratic Orthodoxy. We reuse or recycle all bags that come into our house, especially for our large dogs. Parochially speaking - not globally - i just don't see it as a Lakewood problem.
Here's George Carlin's take (I hope the embed works.)

“Never let a good crisis go to waste." - Winston Churchill (Quote later appropriated by Rahm Emanuel)
Stan Austin
Contributor

Postby Stan Austin » Sun Jun 09, 2019 4:45 pm

When I take tear out or salvage up to Able Scrap Metals on W. 140 they are up front in what they will pay me. I think such transparency is an essential first requirement as to the City's contract with any buyer of recyclables. It would be of financial benefit to the buyer of the materials along with our participation as participants.
I think this transparency should already exist or be part of the newly proposed legislation presented by Councilperson George.

Richard Baker

Postby Richard Baker » Sun Jun 09, 2019 4:50 pm

[quote="Dan Alaimo"]More rules infringing on personal freedom, but no taxes. How Republican of you.[/quote]

Actually, I'm independent, something you will never understand. If Republicans were doing the same screwed up policies as the Democrats that are now destroying our city, I would still speak out. I suggest that you look at the issues rather than your one lever vote. You have no concept of life in the US in the fifties and sixties.

There were no "rules, you made a deposit on all the bottles that you bought. You were given credit or cash for bottle you returned. The same bottle that were pickup up by the trucks delivering the fill product were sent back to the plant. The bottles were washed and refilled and it was the ultimate in recycling. It was not RULES it was called free enterprise, something that you don't understand. I give you a clue, my mom, God rest her soul, would make my brothers and I western cotton shirts out of feed sacks, she would get a dishes at the grocery store and she save green stamps. When we move to the orchard, my bothers and I had to sort hog beans for supper. Do you have any idea of being poor, of course not.

You also have no concept of how of how people struggled after the WWII and Korean War to make a living in the USA do you? There was no safety nets for the lazy, incompetent or the "you owes me", however, there was true charity by the various religious orders that require no patronage from those that needed it unlike the Hollywood BS. Not to worry, a rich privilege president came along form a family made it's wealth for running illegal booze during probation that wanted a generations of welfare at taxpayers expense. I dread the day JFK was shot, I live in Dallas at the time, because only Johnson would have been able to produce the welfare by the guilty rich privilege to spending taxpayers money and burden the middle calls that work supporting their families to give to those that won't.

I set with my dad in NM when Eisenhower announced on the radio to explain the "Farm Bill" and my Dad was visibly upset and said it would eliminate the small farmer in America. It's history, and now corporations are receiving million of dollars in farm aid that produce nothing who are buying up tillable land. In the meantime banks manage to bankrupt farmers that they encourage by to borrow for new tractors and equipment and the the second failed crop allowed the corporate farm to buy up the land in cents rather than dollars. Be proud as a Democrats it was you that ruined the USA small farmer for the corporation.

What would you like to debate that has happened since 1953 when I was ten years old? I lived it and sadly, you were only given a liberal indoctrination by a vested educational interest and opinions are like flatulence, a lot of smell and no substance.

Now what would like to discuss, I would be happy to give my opinion based on my real time observance at the time it occurred, I had the a vantage of a news media that prided themselves with professionalism. I can remember when a newscaster got the facts wrong, they apologized instead of making asinine excuses.

Stan Austin
Contributor

Postby Stan Austin » Sun Jun 09, 2019 4:59 pm

(Hiccup past the most recent post) Also, if Able won't take my scrap such as freon based compressors I am free to go one shop North and get their offer. This is a free market that is transparent and should be the same for Lakewood residents.

michael gill

Postby michael gill » Mon Jun 10, 2019 6:38 am

First, while I understand that waste removal is a cost to the city, and that revenue from recyclables can lessen the cost, it shouldn't be about the money. We need to clean up after ourselves. Full stop. Our mother taught us to do this. All the more or less permanent crap we leave around the planet is an insult to our mothers, and a long term real physical and environmental problem.

Second, while there is a lot of partisan garbage above (especially that bit aboutdemocrats and bottled water, which is simply hilarious), I agree with Richard Baker on this:

"Simple:
Eliminate disposable plastic products, especially land fill drinks including water and plastic packaging, when practical. Paper bags by all retail stores, Use glass, aluminum, tin and cardboard, all of which can be separated easily and have a market. Require, commercial establishments, clubs and companies, etc to recycle with separate dumpsters, millions of pounds of aluminum and plastic or glass are thrown into dumpsters to be buried in a land fill."

Tim Liston

Postby Tim Liston » Tue Jun 25, 2019 8:15 pm

I think it’s just about official….

Up to 90% of recyclables in Cleveland go to the trash (click here).

A FOX 8 I-Team investigation has found nearly all recycling collected by city crews in Cleveland (85% to 90%) ends up simply dumped with all of the garbage collected.

and….

Mayor Frank Jackson and Darnell Brown, the city's chief operating officer, both told the I-Team on camera, the city's recycling program has completely broken down.

It took a weeks-long surreptitious investigation to uncover what really was happening to material that was presumed to be recycled. I can’t imagine it’s any different here in Lakewood. I believe both cities use the same facility on Ridge Road to receive material that was presumed to be recycled.

Bridget Conant

Postby Bridget Conant » Tue Jun 25, 2019 8:46 pm

Tim Liston wrote:I think it’s just about official….

Up to 90% of recyclables in Cleveland go to the trash (click here).

A FOX 8 I-Team investigation has found nearly all recycling collected by city crews in Cleveland (85% to 90%) ends up simply dumped with all of the garbage collected.

and….

Mayor Frank Jackson and Darnell Brown, the city's chief operating officer, both told the I-Team on camera, the city's recycling program has completely broken down.

It took a weeks-long surreptitious investigation to uncover what really was happening to material that was presumed to be recycled. I can’t imagine it’s any different here in Lakewood. I believe both cities use the same facility on Ridge Road to receive material that was presumed to be recycled.

I think you are correct to surmise that Lakewood recycle materials are also being sent to a landfill.

Richard Baker

Postby Richard Baker » Tue Jul 02, 2019 5:36 pm

Yes, recycling is always profitable to the environment. I'm a conservative independent but I don't care what it costs, if we leave behind less of our waste and filth, we are God's stewards of his gift of existence to us.

I also think that the most effective way of controlling plastic is to put a 10 cent deposit on each plastic drink bottle or 5 cents on each aluminum container and require commercial stores to accept and rebate them. In the case of aluminum they must also have to pay the scrap weight. If the commercial establishment doesn't want to accept those terms they can't sell plastic or aluminum containers, it's their choice.

In the days of glass bottles, google it, there was a deposit on all bottles. You didn't find a lot of bottles in the fifties and sixties laying around, people were not the effluent pigs of today, they would pick them up and take them to stores for the rebate.

In addition, women plastic tampon containers should have a tax applied on them for the sewer treatment plants handling and the gross amount of those floating in Lake Erie. I been sailing the lake for years and ladies, it's disgusting.

Simple solutions from a simple mind.

Richard Baker

Postby Richard Baker » Tue Jul 02, 2019 5:36 pm

Yes, recycling is always profitable to the environment. I'm a conservative independent but I don't care what it costs, if we leave behind less of our waste and filth, we are God's stewards of his gift of existence to us.

I also think that the most effective way of controlling plastic is to put a 10 cent deposit on each plastic drink bottle or 5 cents on each aluminum container and require commercial stores to accept and rebate them. In the case of aluminum they must also have to pay the scrap weight. If the commercial establishment doesn't want to accept those terms they can't sell plastic or aluminum containers, it's their choice.

In the days of glass bottles, google it, there was a deposit on all bottles. You didn't find a lot of bottles in the fifties and sixties laying around, people were not the effluent pigs of today, they would pick them up and take them to stores for the rebate.

In addition, women plastic tampon containers should have a tax applied on them for the sewer treatment plants handling and the gross amount of those floating in Lake Erie. I been sailing the lake for years and ladies, it's disgusting.

Simple solutions from a simple mind.

Return to “Lakewood General Discussions”