Can Public Officials Regulate Social Media Criticism?

The jumping off discussion area for the rest of the Deck. All things Lakewood.
Please check out our other sections. As we refile many discussions from the past into
their proper sections please check them out and offer suggestions.

Moderators: Jim DeVito, Dan Alaimo

Mark Kindt

Can Public Officials Regulate Social Media Criticism?

Postby Mark Kindt » Fri Nov 09, 2018 10:26 am

This link may be of interest to Lakewood residents who have had comments deleted on local social media sites.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/local/pu ... 09692b7240

Jim O'Bryan

Re: Can Public Officials Regulate Social Media Criticism?

Postby Jim O'Bryan » Fri Nov 09, 2018 12:01 pm

Mark Kindt wrote:This link may be of interest to Lakewood residents who have had comments deleted on local social media sites.

Mark

This is something we looked at long and hard when we started this up. At the time, the Lakewood Public Library, Lakewood Schools, and City Hall all took an active part for many, many, many reasons. One of the largest was they realized if it was perceived they were controlling the message, it would tarnish everything. In other words, start to edit, and control the message and it becomes nothing more than a propaganda piece, that only the simple minded would believe. It would tarnish everything that followed. At the same time all realized they had no legal ability to edit, censor, or delete messages without breaking First Amendment Issues. Where those issues disappear for the most part on a privately owned enterprise.

But many people in Lakewood are ignorant, or prefer to be sheep. They attacked us over 1st Amendment Issues, when non-existed. Yet none of them hold the schools or City Hall accountable, when they really exist. Some of this might come from just hideous public officials that have refused to produce public documents but sue, or go after private groups to produce their documents. My favorite was Councilman Shawn Juris, when I questioned a group receiving Lakewood funds to produce their books, entirely legal, the BMOC Juris demanded my books be opened. I invited him to look at mine if he brought the public groups with him. He was a no show.

For some reason, perhaps the sports like way politics have become, win at all costs. People are unwilling to hold their government, and publicly funded groups accountable. Instead they prefer to bully private citizens, blow up and attack businesses and boards, while making the weakest excuses possible for City Hall and others to regulate conversations, get rid of or go after "troublemakers," and control the message until we have the same mess here we have on a national level. Elected officials pumping out fake news, while attacking those trying to create fact based reporting. Cheered on by sycophants and criminals on their knees to please those in power.

It is an interesting court case, I hope it gets decided as it should, holding public officials accountable, and keeping public space open to open discussion.

Jim O'Bryan
Lakewood Resident

"The very act of observing disturbs the system."
Werner Heisenberg

"If anything I've said seems useful to you, I'm glad.
If not, don't worry. Just forget about it."
His Holiness The Dalai Lama
Mark Kindt

Postby Mark Kindt » Sun Nov 11, 2018 10:25 am

Mark Kindt wrote:This link may be of interest to Lakewood residents who have had comments deleted on local social media sites.

Just to be clear, I am referring to Lakewood residents (or others) who have had comments deleted or who have been blocked on social media sites related to Lakewood by public employees or those acting under the instruction or guidance of public employees.

Jim O'Bryan

Postby Jim O'Bryan » Mon Nov 12, 2018 5:29 pm

Mark Kindt wrote:

Just to be clear, I am referring to Lakewood residents (or others) who have had comments deleted or who have been blocked on social media sites related to Lakewood by public employees or those acting under the instruction or guidance of public employees.

Mark

I was wondering...

The FBI and DOJ have an understanding that any business started or created with illegal funds, is NEVER a legitimate business.

Would this not be the same for Social Media started by Lakewood City Hall then turned over to "friends" to run on their behalf?

Yet once again the Summers Administration has us asking questions about the difference between them and the MOB and a Banana Republic.

Who would of thought just 15 years from an open, fun loving community we would fall into this abyss?

Jim O'Bryan
Lakewood Resident

Werner Heisenberg

Mark Kindt

Postby Mark Kindt » Thu Nov 15, 2018 3:59 pm

Attached below is the full legal brief filed by the Knight First Amendment Institute

Here are some key pages from that brief:

Knight_Davison_Brief 27.jpg
Knight_Davison_Brief 27.jpg (291.78 KiB) Viewed 3122 times

Knight_Davison_Brief 28.jpg
Knight_Davison_Brief 28.jpg (247.5 KiB) Viewed 3122 times
Attachments
Knight_Davison_Brief.pdf
(345.06 KiB) Downloaded 172 times

Jim O'Bryan

Postby Jim O'Bryan » Fri Nov 16, 2018 9:48 am

Mark Kindt wrote:Attached below is the full legal brief filed by the Knight First Amendment Institute

Here are some key pages from that brief:

Knight_Davison_Brief 27.jpg

Knight_Davison_Brief 28.jpg

Mark

Time and time again, the courts have said that All of these political, non-profit, school, library, and City run discussion boards are to be treated as "public space."

Time and time again, the Administration at City Hall has proven they do not care about laws, courts, or the concept of public space.

Jim O'Bryan
Lakewood Resident

Werner Heisenberg

Return to “Lakewood General Discussions”