Jay Carson SLAPPed at the Ballot Box

The jumping off discussion area for the rest of the Deck. All things Lakewood.
Please check out our other sections. As we refile many discussions from the past into
their proper sections please check them out and offer suggestions.

Moderators: Jim DeVito, Dan Alaimo

Michael Deneen

Jay Carson SLAPPed at the Ballot Box

Postby Michael Deneen » Tue Nov 06, 2018 9:27 pm

Mike Skindell handily defeated Jay Carson in Tuesday's race for our local State Rep seat.
Early returns (nine percent) have Skindell with nearly 80 percent of the vote....9575 votes to 2467.
Trends are not expected to change as more votes come in.

As some of you may know, Carson is a leading member of Team Summers and a rabid opponent of the Lakewood Observer.
He and his henchman (who shilled for the Carson via his media website) filed a SLAPP lawsuit in an attempt to shut down the Observer.
The lawsuit failed just as badly as Carson's State Rep campaign.

This marks the third consecutive disastrous election for Team Summers.
Last fall Cindy Marx and Ryan Nowlin became the first council members in 24 years to be ousted from office.
In May Tom Bullock was thumped by Mike Skindell in the State Rep primary......despite having the endorsement of Cuyahoga's formidable Democratic Machine.
Bullock narrowly avoided losing his council seat in the forementioned fall 2017 council race.

Some of you might say "Hey, it's not fair to blame Team Summers for Carson's loss. He was a Republican running in a Blue District".
It's true that this is a "Dem District"....however, Carson had the support of many leading Democrats, including some of the council members who supported the "Build Lakewood" hospital plan.
Sam "The Sham" O'Leary is banking on Team Summers to deliver the Mayor's race to him next year.....he might be having second thoughts.

Bridget Conant

Re: Jay Carson SLAPPed at the Ballot Box

Postby Bridget Conant » Tue Nov 06, 2018 10:13 pm

Perfect thread title!

I guess “the little guy” showed Carson what they thought of him. :lol: :lol:

Bridget Conant

Postby Bridget Conant » Tue Nov 06, 2018 10:59 pm

Near complete reporting shows Skindell garnering four times the number of votes as Carson. I’d call that a tidal wave!

What a shame those Dems who donated to his campaign wasted their money. :wink:

Jim O'Bryan

Postby Jim O'Bryan » Wed Nov 07, 2018 9:01 am

Bridget Conant wrote:Near complete reporting shows Skindell garnering four times the number of votes as Carson. I’d call that a tidal wave!

Hot rumor on the street, from months ago, his next target it the Lakewood Board of Education, and trying to unseat one of the three up next year.

Stay tuned.

Jim O'Bryan
Lakewood Resident

"The very act of observing disturbs the system."
Werner Heisenberg

"If anything I've said seems useful to you, I'm glad.
If not, don't worry. Just forget about it."
His Holiness The Dalai Lama
cmager

Postby cmager » Wed Nov 07, 2018 10:58 am

Bridget Conant wrote:Near complete reporting shows Skindell garnering four times the number of votes as Carson. I’d call that a tidal wave! What a shame those Dems who donated to his campaign wasted their money. :wink:

I wonder if Carson's margin of loss (%) is in the top 10 or so nationwide?

Michael Deneen

Postby Michael Deneen » Wed Nov 07, 2018 12:12 pm

Bridget Conant wrote:So now he can go after the REALLY little guys?

Jay Carson cares about children.
After all, he's a big supporter of the "Little League Beer Garden".

m buckley

Postby m buckley » Thu Nov 08, 2018 8:11 pm

Bridget Conant wrote:Near complete reporting shows Skindell garnering four times the number of votes as Carson. I’d call that a tidal wave!

Tight race. Thisclose.
Can't help wondering... if only Madigan had thrown him another $50 what might have been.
Chin up Mr. Carson there's always opportunity for someone like you in Tiny Town.

" City Council is a 7-member communications army." Colin McEwen December 10, 2015.
Michael Deneen

Postby Michael Deneen » Fri Nov 09, 2018 9:20 am

Despite the help of numerous so-called "Democrats" in Team Summers, Carson's campaign fared no better than other republicans.
In fact, he did far worse than some.

Carson's percentage is almost identical to Jim Renacci's share of the Lakewood vote.
Sherrod Brown got 78.6 percent of the Lakewood vote....benefitting from Renacci's extremely sleazy and deceptive campaign.

Richard Cordray got 72.9 percent of the Lakewood vote....which means that Mike DeWine did significantly better than Carson.

Even Donald Trump -- the most toxic brand in Lakewood politics -- fared far better in 2016 than Carson did in 2018.
Hillary only got 69.7 percent of the Lakewood vote.

So what does all this mean?
It shows that Team Summers failed to move the needle in this year's election.
Given current trends, I doubt they will be able to right the ship by 2019.

cmager

Postby cmager » Fri Nov 09, 2018 2:42 pm

Michael Deneen wrote:Despite the help of numerous so-called "Democrats" in Team Summers, Carson's campaign fared no better than other republicans. In fact, he did far worse than some.

Carson's percentage is almost identical to Jim Renacci's share of the Lakewood vote. Sherrod Brown got 78.6 percent of the Lakewood vote....benefitting from Renacci's extremely sleazy and deceptive campaign.

Richard Cordray got 72.9 percent of the Lakewood vote....which means that Mike DeWine did significantly better than Carson.

Even Donald Trump -- the most toxic brand in Lakewood politics -- fared far better in 2016 than Carson did in 2018. Hillary only got 69.7 percent of the Lakewood vote.

So what does all this mean? It shows that Team Summers failed to move the needle in this year's election. Given current trends, I doubt they will be able to right the ship by 2019.

The most toxic brand in Lakewood is Team Summers and his minions and his privatization/ foundation pals.

Jim O'Bryan

Postby Jim O'Bryan » Mon Nov 12, 2018 10:08 am

cmager wrote:The most toxic brand in Lakewood is Team Summers and his minions and his privatization/ foundation pals.

What is even stranger is their constant cry to "Bring Lakewood Together" yet year after year for more than a decade their policies and attempts at various nightmares and debacles only strive to pit Lakewoodite against Lakewoodite. The residents ask legitimate questions, and the return is how dare you question us, you don't matter and sending thugs in to mess with law abiding residents.

I have a long list of politicians and civic leaders that cried to me before the last three elections about how we bring the community together. After the election and "winning" they could care less about bringing the community together. Instantly they moved on with their hidden agendas.

The Summers administration has done more to divide Lakewood than any other administration, as Mike day after day earns the title of worst Mayor ever.

City Council stands by, quietly allowing it all to happen.

Jim O'Bryan
Lakewood Resident

"The very act of observing disturbs the system."
Werner Heisenberg

"If anything I've said seems useful to you, I'm glad.
If not, don't worry. Just forget about it."
His Holiness The Dalai Lama

Return to “Lakewood General Discussions”