Tony George Outspoken in LGBTQ Controversy

The jumping off discussion area for the rest of the Deck. All things Lakewood.
Please check out our other sections. As we refile many discussions from the past into
their proper sections please check them out and offer suggestions.

Moderators: Jim DeVito, Dan Alaimo

Bridget Conant

Tony George Outspoken in LGBTQ Controversy

Postby Bridget Conant » Sat Sep 15, 2018 9:39 am

Local restauranteur Tony George recently blasted pending legislation outlawing discrimination against LGBTQ persons claiming if it passed he’d move his businesses out of Cuyahoga County.

Many centered their objections around transgender women being able to use women's restrooms, including several local pastors and restaurateur Tony George, who said he and other Cuyahoga County business owners would move their establishments elsewhere if the legislation passes.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/articles.cleveland.com/metro/index.ssf/2018/09/cuyahoga_county_legislation_th.amp

Tony, hate to burst your self-centered bubble, but don’t let the door hit you in the a$$ on the way out. As it stands, you’re already going to lose business over your homophobic stance - you’re all over social media and it’s not in your favor.

Dan OMalley

Re: Tony George Outspoken in LGBTQ Controversy

Postby Dan OMalley » Sat Sep 15, 2018 9:47 am

Bridget Conant wrote:Local restauranteur Tony George recently blasted pending legislation outlawing discrimination against LGBTQ persons claiming if it passed he’d move his businesses out of Cuyahoga County.

Many centered their objections around transgender women being able to use women's restrooms, including several local pastors and restaurateur Tony George, who said he and other Cuyahoga County business owners would move their establishments elsewhere if the legislation passes.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/articles.cleveland.com/metro/index.ssf/2018/09/cuyahoga_county_legislation_th.amp

Tony, hate to burst your self-centered bubble, but don’t let the door hit you in the a$$ on the way out. As it stands, you’re already going to lose business over your homophobic stance - you’re all over social media and it’s not in your favor.

The irony is that he is already operating several businesses in cities like Lakewood and Cleveland with human rights ordinances/commissions even stronger than the one being proposed for the county.

Dan O'Malley
Bridget Conant

Postby Bridget Conant » Sat Sep 15, 2018 1:11 pm

Bill Call wrote:Does that mean he won't be selling marijuana to the LGBT community?

You win the Internet today! :lol:

Amy Martin

Postby Amy Martin » Sun Sep 16, 2018 8:27 am

As a gay person, I'd like for someone to list all of the establishments that Tony George is involved with to ensure that we don't patronize any of them.

Brian Essi

Postby Brian Essi » Sun Sep 16, 2018 11:54 am

Amy Martin wrote:As a gay person, I'd like for someone to list all of the establishments that Tony George is involved with to ensure that we don't patronize any of them.

As a straight person, I'd like for someone to list all of the establishments that Tony George is involved with to ensure that I don't ever patronize any of them.

I've had dealing with Tony George and I can express my opinion here without reservation, he is a viscous and mean spirited bully.

I wouldn't step foot in a Harry Buffalo before I met him because the food sucks. I won't step foot in any business he or his family owns, including Crop, Town Hall or Barley House.

David Anderson has no legitimate answers
dl meckes

Postby dl meckes » Thu Sep 20, 2018 12:17 am

September 17, 2018

Dear Members of the Cuyahoga County Council, TownHall guests, friends, and community members:

My father, Tony George, recently testified before you in opposition to the Cuyahoga County Human Rights ordinance. I was unaware this was going to happen and was shocked when I found out.

I disagree with my father strongly on this issue and wholeheartedly support the Human Rights ordinance. My father does not speak for me, nor does he speak for TownHall, Barley House, REBoL, or any of my other businesses with which he is not affiliated.

Equal access to and opportunities for employment, housing, and public accommodations is a fundamental right for everyone, regardless of a person's race, color, religion, military status, national origin, disability, age, ancestry, or gender. And if it is a right for everyone, it must also be a right regardless of sexual orientation and gender identity.

No one should be denied opportunities based on who they are or who they love. The fact that this has not been codified into law and enforced at every level is a shameful relic of bigotry and ignorance and I wholeheartedly support Cuyahoga County's efforts to correct it—starting with passing the proposed ordinance.

This ordinance is absolutely the type of issue that Cuyahoga County government should address—especially when political leaders in Washington, D.C. and Columbus are trying to move us in the wrong direction on issues of diversity and inclusion. Discrimination is worth fighting at every level, not just through the state and federal governments.

My father's claim that this ordinance will have a negative effect on economic development is equally misguided. TownHall is part of the Ohio City neighborhood, where our LGBTQ+ neighbors enrich the entire community. In my experience, customers run to establishments in communities where diversity is valued; they don't run away from them. The ordinance will help economic development by showing people nationally that we have in Cuyahoga County an inclusive and caring community.

The proposed Cuyahoga County Human Rights ordinance is not a political issue. And at its core, it’s not even an economic-development issue. It's an issue of fundamental human rights and basic human decency. I applaud County Council for its efforts and urge everyone who cares about fairness, justice, and Cuyahoga County to join me in supporting this ordinance and the LGBTQ+ community.

I plan to come to the next Council meeting considering the ordinance to testify in support of it. I hope other business leaders will join me.

Sincerely,

Robert George
Owner
TownHall

“One of they key problems today is that politics is such a disgrace. Good people don’t go into government.”- 45
Bridget Conant

Postby Bridget Conant » Thu Sep 20, 2018 7:13 am

That letter is completely disingenuous, and he’s being called out for it on social media.

According to business filings on record with the Ohio Secretary of State, Tony George is either an owner or agent of the companies that are invested in that business, which means he does own part of it.

I’m sure if you asked Tony to list the “37 businesses” that he’s threatening to move, Townhall would be on that list.

Bobby distances himself from Tony when it’s convenient for him - like when they held a big fundraiser for Trump at Townhall. Bobby was on the invite until he got some blowback then he removed his name and pretended it was all his dad’s doing.

Valerie Molinski

Postby Valerie Molinski » Thu Sep 20, 2018 8:34 am

Bridget Conant wrote:That letter is completely disingenuous, and he’s being called out for it on social media.

According to business filings on record with the Ohio Secretary of State, Tony George is either an owner or agent of the companies that are invested in that business, which means he does own part of it.

I’m sure if you asked Tony to list the “37 businesses” that he’s threatening to move, Townhall would be on that list.

Bobby distances himself from Tony when it’s convenient for him - like when they held a big fundraiser for Trump at Townhall. Bobby was on the invite until he got some blowback then he removed his name and pretended it was all his dad’s doing.

Completely agree with this. Some other things have come out about that business group in the last 2 years, most recently several female ex-employees saying they were sexually harassed by Bobby. I haven't patronized any of their restaurants in over a year and I am glad that I didn't now more than ever.

Matthew Lee

Postby Matthew Lee » Thu Sep 20, 2018 8:55 am

As mentioned upthread, does anyone have a list of the George establishments? Would like to make sure our family's money doesn't support them. Thank you!

Brian Essi

Postby Brian Essi » Thu Sep 20, 2018 9:06 am

dl meckes wrote:September 17, 2018

Dear Members of the Cuyahoga County Council, TownHall guests, friends, and community members:

My father, Tony George, recently testified before you in opposition to the Cuyahoga County Human Rights ordinance. I was unaware this was going to happen and was shocked when I found out.

I disagree with my father strongly on this issue and wholeheartedly support the Human Rights ordinance. My father does not speak for me, nor does he speak for TownHall, Barley House, REBoL, or any of my other businesses with which he is not affiliated.

Equal access to and opportunities for employment, housing, and public accommodations is a fundamental right for everyone, regardless of a person's race, color, religion, military status, national origin, disability, age, ancestry, or gender. And if it is a right for everyone, it must also be a right regardless of sexual orientation and gender identity.

No one should be denied opportunities based on who they are or who they love. The fact that this has not been codified into law and enforced at every level is a shameful relic of bigotry and ignorance and I wholeheartedly support Cuyahoga County's efforts to correct it—starting with passing the proposed ordinance.

This ordinance is absolutely the type of issue that Cuyahoga County government should address—especially when political leaders in Washington, D.C. and Columbus are trying to move us in the wrong direction on issues of diversity and inclusion. Discrimination is worth fighting at every level, not just through the state and federal governments.

My father's claim that this ordinance will have a negative effect on economic development is equally misguided. TownHall is part of the Ohio City neighborhood, where our LGBTQ+ neighbors enrich the entire community. In my experience, customers run to establishments in communities where diversity is valued; they don't run away from them. The ordinance will help economic development by showing people nationally that we have in Cuyahoga County an inclusive and caring community.

The proposed Cuyahoga County Human Rights ordinance is not a political issue. And at its core, it’s not even an economic-development issue. It's an issue of fundamental human rights and basic human decency. I applaud County Council for its efforts and urge everyone who cares about fairness, justice, and Cuyahoga County to join me in supporting this ordinance and the LGBTQ+ community.

I plan to come to the next Council meeting considering the ordinance to testify in support of it. I hope other business leaders will join me.

Sincerely,

Robert George
Owner
TownHall

By reputation, Bobby George is even more ruthless than his father and he apparently cares more about bad publicity for his business. The carefully crafted pr/lawyerly statement appears to be damage control.

Don’t expect alpha male Tony George to back down on his businesses.

David Anderson has no legitimate answers

Return to “Lakewood General Discussions”