As A Senior...

The jumping off discussion area for the rest of the Deck. All things Lakewood.
Please check out our other sections. As we refile many discussions from the past into
their proper sections please check them out and offer suggestions.

Moderators: Jim DeVito, Dan Alaimo

Jim O'Bryan

As A Senior...

Postby Jim O'Bryan » Wed Sep 12, 2018 7:01 am

I am trying to figure out why, Lakewood Senior Officials are working flat out to develop every square inch of Lakewood at a feverish pitch, with ZERO PLANS? While the youth of this City and in the Administration not asking them to slow down or at least make plans with some sort of logic that creates logical, sustainable steps forward? Why must this administration, the one that has been development blocked for a decade, shoot their wad so to speak, on mindless, uninspiring multi-use strip mall after multi-use strip mall? What makes this particular group of "leaders" that have failed at all their other projects, believe they now have the answer in their decade old ideas?

Just curious after some of us noticed Lakewood's future is being squandered by old people in their 60s and 70s.

Jim O'Bryan
Lakewood Resident

"The very act of observing disturbs the system."
Werner Heisenberg

"If anything I've said seems useful to you, I'm glad.
If not, don't worry. Just forget about it."
His Holiness The Dalai Lama
Edward Favre

Re: As A Senior...

Postby Edward Favre » Thu Sep 13, 2018 8:48 am

Not just the 60-70 group. Plenty of 30-40-50s of the same mind and have no historical knowledge.

Jim O'Bryan

Postby Jim O'Bryan » Thu Sep 13, 2018 1:05 pm

Edward Favre wrote:Not just the 60-70 group. Plenty of 30-40-50s of the same mind and have no historical knowledge.

Ed

I had the pleasure of knowing a couple of the people in Planning before they got their jobs with the City. Some of them had wonderful visions, out of the box thinking that was not entrenched in the mindset of upper level management.

It seems to me, that planning is working off of a 30 year-old idea of what Lakewood needs, not the vision of youth.

McKinley Place was not dreamed up by the people I know, but it was carried out by them, on what I would imagine are orders.

Multi use strip malls are not the dreams of youth. Or the sane. But of people that have fought to build them all over Lakewood for decades.

Jim O'Bryan
Lakewood Resident

"The very act of observing disturbs the system."
Werner Heisenberg

"If anything I've said seems useful to you, I'm glad.
If not, don't worry. Just forget about it."
His Holiness The Dalai Lama
Dan Alaimo

Postby Dan Alaimo » Fri Sep 14, 2018 12:22 am

Jim O'Bryan wrote:I am trying to figure out why, Lakewood Senior Officials are working flat out to develop every square inch of Lakewood at a feverish pitch, with ZERO PLANS? While the youth of this City and in the Administration not asking them to slow down or at least make plans with some sort of logic that creates logical, sustainable steps forward? Why must this administration, the one that has been development blocked for a decade, shoot their wad so to speak, on mindless, uninspiring multi-use strip mall after multi-use strip mall? What makes this particular group of "leaders" that have failed at all their other projects, believe they now have the answer in their decade old ideas?

Just curious after some of us noticed Lakewood's future is being squandered by old people in their 60s and 70s.

I have experience with people in their 30s-40s who are aggressively noncommittal. Just schools, services and big downtown parties, please. They really, strongly don't want to hear about how the sausage gets made. And their attitude toward people who do care is, at best, like a reaction to Jehovah's Witnesses at the door.

“Never let a good crisis go to waste." - Winston Churchill (Quote later appropriated by Rahm Emanuel)
Bridget Conant

Postby Bridget Conant » Fri Sep 14, 2018 8:38 am

I have experience with people in their 30s-40s who are aggressively noncommittal. Just schools, services and big downtown parties, please. They really, strongly don't want to hear about how the sausage gets made. And their attitude toward people who do care is, at best, like a reaction to Jehovah's Witnesses at the door.

That really applies to a wide swath of people. The hospital issue was complicated and required a time and energy commitment to read all the information and make sense of it. Let’s face it, most people didn’t (and don’t) want to do that.

As long as trash is picked up, there’s some fun things to do, and they aren’t getting robbed, most people are happy enough. It’s human nature.

Return to “Lakewood General Discussions”