And Then There Was 137

The jumping off discussion area for the rest of the Deck. All things Lakewood.
Please check out our other sections. As we refile many discussions from the past into
their proper sections please check them out and offer suggestions.

Moderators: Jim DeVito, Dan Alaimo

john crino

Re: And Then There Was 137

Postby john crino » Thu Sep 20, 2018 9:49 am

A few years back I read an article on a company that bought most of an empty downtown (somewhere out west) which consisted of a couple linear blocks of attached storefronts and moved the whole company into the downtown.
So the barbershop was the CEO office and next door, the old hotel was the lunchroom, next to that was the old general store was now the companies HR. then I believe they connected them all internally as well.
Good idea for repurposing. Not sure how financially feasible it is. I know building new is usually easier.
Could be done in Lakewood though on a smaller scale.

Michael Loje

Postby Michael Loje » Thu Sep 20, 2018 10:25 am

A good example of repurposing would be the Christian Science church at Arthur and Detroit. The Building was quietly acquired and built out by Roundstone Insurance. Many real estate "professionals" had considered the building to be a teardown. But, a forward-thinking company went against conventional wisdom and now the building is home to tax-paying employees.

john crino

Postby john crino » Thu Sep 20, 2018 11:19 am

A few years back I read an article on a company that bought most of an empty downtown (somewhere out west) which consisted of a couple linear blocks of attached storefronts and moved the whole company into the downtown.
So the barbershop was the CEO office and next door, the old hotel was the lunchroom, next to that was the old general store was now the companies HR. then I believe they connected them all internally as well.
Good idea for repurposing. Not sure how financially feasible it is. I know building new is usually easier.
Could be done in Lakewood though on a smaller scale.

and while Im at it. They are going to build condos across from the get go.....who is living there?

cmager

Postby cmager » Thu Sep 20, 2018 11:45 am

Bridget Conant wrote:She said, “oh wait, is that in Lakewood? I don’t go east of Westgate.”

I'm most shocked that Westgate is a destination.

Jim O'Bryan

Postby Jim O'Bryan » Fri Sep 21, 2018 8:02 am

Matthew Lee wrote:[quote="Jim O'Bryan]

The way I sum this culture is up. Sitting in the West End Tavern one night, next to two millenials/hipsters (not a slam). One turns to the other and said, "How did you like that beer?" "Well it was OK, but I would never order it again, how about you, did you like the one you got?" "Naw I would never order it again!" A this point I turned and asked as the old man at the bar, "Why would you order beers you do not like?" What followed was a discussion about trying new things, trendy things, things they had read about, and finding the new gem to put out on social media. "One turned to me and asked, "So what are you drinking?" I responded, "Glenlivet it is the bicycle I ride, quality and taste are always there, and I know exactly how long I can ride it."

[/quote]

Not sure how you are summing up a culture here. Are you saying that it is GOOD not to try new things? You specifically write that you asked "Why would you order beers you do not like?" yet your story clearly says that they tried something new. Ergo, obviously they did not know they did not like it until they tried it.

Are you saying that everyone should just eat and drink what they are comfortable with and never get out of their comfort zone? How could anything new EVER survive with that attitude?[/quote]

Matt/Val

Not saying that.

I'm saying that it becomes nearly fool hardy to chase trends, when looking at a community and the future.

Especially, in this day and age.

I don't care what people drink, eat spend their time.

I do care what the City does with spending, laws, regulations etc.

I do find it silly spending money on bad tasting items, but it's their money not mine.

Jim O'Bryan
Lakewood Resident

"The very act of observing disturbs the system."
Werner Heisenberg

"If anything I've said seems useful to you, I'm glad.
If not, don't worry. Just forget about it."
His Holiness The Dalai Lama
Bill Call

Postby Bill Call » Sun Sep 23, 2018 7:37 am

I am not sure why there is any resistance at all to the idea that there is only so much business to go around.

Sure, people came from all over to visit Melt, Barraco Grill, Barrio but then they built a Melt, Barraco Grill and Barrio downtown or at Crocker or in Avon. Then what? Then those restaurants have to live on the business that Lakewood provides.

The sad fact is that people West of Lakewood very rarely come here to eat or drink. Tens of thousands of them once came to this town to visit Lakewood Hospital but now they just go to Avon. There was always talk of the East West divide in Cleveland where the border was the Cuyahoga River. The East West divide on the boarder of the Rocky River is just as relevant.

Are we really at the point in this town where we are going to fight to get restaurant jobs to the exclusion of all else?

What industry would provide 1,500 high paying jobs? What industry would attract 100,000 visits to Lakewood each year? I wonder.

Jim O'Bryan

Postby Jim O'Bryan » Mon Sep 24, 2018 7:57 am

Bill Call wrote:What industry would provide 1,500 high paying jobs? What industry would attract 100,000 visits to Lakewood each year? I wonder.

Bill

The answer at least by nearly every city around us that depends on more than living space is one thing. Medical.

That boat has sailed.

Our City Officials and Civic leaders instead invested heavily on magic beans for our future.

Which is odd, they have often chased away high income bases for retail and food service jobs thinking that there is an undiscovered pot of gold there. OR, thinking it made their lives more convenient and fun. Always at the expense of those living on the margins. Economic margins, living margins butting up against commercial areas, wherever. Always looking away and never studying anything that would be huge, but could affect their idyllic lives.

Savannah's Peninsula poo pooed by the powers to be because of the wrong last name in its designer, and NIMBY, though it not only delivered in spades everything they coveted, but also many of the things they went on to try half assed after it was introduced. Some of the largest most successful developers in the county came through and saw that plan and declared it a winner. Even some of the civic leaders declared it a winner under their breaths but parroted "no way," when in public.

Rebuilding the lakefront, another huge winner that those along the lake are dying to do, but here, it is a no go. Even when small developments and upgrades are made to himes those in power fight it every inch of the way. NIMBY!

Rebuilding or extending the Gold Coast another proven winner whose time has probably passed as well, declared a no go, because those on the planning commission live to close for comfort.

So it is back to more food and grub. At least when they fail and start and fail and start it gives them something new to discover. :roll:

Jim O'Bryan
Lakewood Resident

"The very act of observing disturbs the system."
Werner Heisenberg

"If anything I've said seems useful to you, I'm glad.
If not, don't worry. Just forget about it."
His Holiness The Dalai Lama
Bill Call

Postby Bill Call » Tue Sep 25, 2018 5:52 am

Jim O'Bryan wrote:

That boat has sailed.

Our City Officials and Civic leaders instead invested heavily on magic beans for our future.

Never forget. Next year there will be local elections.

Return to “Lakewood General Discussions”