Bob Evans is Closing - Fast Food Drive Thru is Opening

The jumping off discussion area for the rest of the Deck. All things Lakewood.
Please check out our other sections. As we refile many discussions from the past into
their proper sections please check them out and offer suggestions.

Moderators: Jim DeVito, Dan Alaimo

Bill Call

Bob Evans is Closing - Fast Food Drive Thru is Opening

Postby Bill Call » Sat Aug 25, 2018 2:59 pm

Bob Evans will be replaced by a fast food drive thru that serves chicken fingers. There will not be enough parking to comply with City code and the City will have to ignore its drive thru ordinances before the drive thru restaurant could be built.

I suspect the developers will be given carte blanche. Let nothing stand in the way of making Lakewood the Healthiest City in America!

What Rally's is to burgers,

Canes is to chicken fingers.

https://www.raisingcanes.com/

Bridget Conant

Re: Bob Evans is Closing - Fast Food Drive Thru is Opening

Postby Bridget Conant » Sat Aug 25, 2018 8:56 pm

Councilman Tristan Rader has posted the plans on his Facebook page. Council will not be voting on this, it will be handled by the Arch Review Board.

Jim O'Bryan

Postby Jim O'Bryan » Sun Aug 26, 2018 9:52 am

Bridget Conant wrote:Councilman Tristan Rader has posted the plans on his Facebook page. Council will not be voting on this, it will be handled by the Arch Review Board.

What is to vote on? They clearly promised no more drive-thrus. They basically made Starbucks buy Burger King just to get a drive-thru. Detroit and the neighborhood cannot handle this constant assault, they let this one in, we know there will be more.

After all, they never keep their word to residents, merely have public discussions to place blame elsewhere, anywhere, just never taking responsibility, accountability themselves.

:roll:

Jim O'Bryan
Lakewood Resident

"The very act of observing disturbs the system."
Werner Heisenberg

"If anything I've said seems useful to you, I'm glad.
If not, don't worry. Just forget about it."
His Holiness The Dalai Lama
Bill Call

Postby Bill Call » Sun Aug 26, 2018 12:40 pm

Jim O'Bryan wrote:
Bridget Conant wrote:Councilman Tristan Rader has posted the plans on his Facebook page. Council will not be voting on this, it will be handled by the Arch Review Board.

What is to vote on? They clearly promised no more drive-thrus. They basically made Starbucks buy Burger King just to get a drive-thru. Detroit and the neighborhood cannot handle this constant assault, they let this one in, we know there will be more.

After all, they never keep their word to residents, merely have public discussions to place blame elsewhere, anywhere, just never taking responsibility, accountability themselves.

:roll:

Well... I remember that Taco Bell wanted to tear down their old building and build a new building. They were told at the time that a new building could not have a drive thru so they tore down everything but one wall and called it a remodeling.

I wonder, did the people at Cane's commit to spending $2 million on the purchase, demolition, site preparation and construction BEFORE they had a commitment from the City to allow a drive thru?

Could it be that the decisions have already been made in secret and the votes have already been taken in secret?

Could it be that the upcoming public meetings are a mere legal formality?

Where have we seen this before?

Do laws mean anything? I mean besides open records laws which we now know mean nothing.

Stan Austin
Contributor

Postby Stan Austin » Sun Aug 26, 2018 1:03 pm

Maybe they can get a subsidy of say $1 million to paint the arrows on the asphalt? I mean fair is fair.

Dan Alaimo

Postby Dan Alaimo » Sun Aug 26, 2018 9:33 pm

Bridget Conant wrote:The parcel is under one acre -.9 to be exact, and it’s worth 1.05 million.

Hmmm

...with a structure on it that, if I understand correctly, either needs to be extensively renovated or torn down.

“Never let a good crisis go to waste." - Winston Churchill (Quote later appropriated by Rahm Emanuel)
Bill Call

Postby Bill Call » Mon Aug 27, 2018 7:24 am

The drive through at the Cains in Strongsville is very busy. The police have to be on hand to direct traffic. Did anyone tell the investors that land in Lakewood is worth less than a dollar per acre?

o.jpg
o.jpg (131.41 KiB) Viewed 5232 times

bentleymike

Postby bentleymike » Mon Aug 27, 2018 9:22 am

I personally think the Bob Evans in that location is subpar form a service and quality standpoint. Raising Cane's is good for what it is. Do you need drive thru? Probably not. The one on Ohio State's campus is not a drive thru from what I remember, the last time I was down there. Does that change the idea of Raising Cane's going in? I'd hope not, but, I'm okay with it either way.

Mike Bentley
Bill Call

Postby Bill Call » Mon Aug 27, 2018 10:13 am

bentleymike wrote:I personally think the Bob Evans in that location is subpar form a service and quality standpoint.

That Bob Evans was really subpar. I don't know if other Bob Evans' are as bad.

cmager

Postby cmager » Mon Aug 27, 2018 4:38 pm

Bill Call wrote:
bentleymike wrote:I personally think the Bob Evans in that location is subpar form a service and quality standpoint.

That Bob Evans was really subpar. I don't know if other Bob Evans' are as bad.

Bob Evans has gone subpar - they ain't my daddy's Bob Evans.
Raising Cane's locations all have drive-thru and they are often slammed both drive-thru and sit down. Channeling my inner high schooler, those chicken fingers and fries are good. Damn good.

Amy Martin

Postby Amy Martin » Tue Aug 28, 2018 4:42 am

Please see the caloric content of Raising Cane's menu items below (specifically the combos, which is how they typically sell most of their menu items). So much for the Mayor's claim in the Lakewood flyer that we all received last month about trying to make Lakewood "America's Healthiest City":

https://raisingcanes.com/sites/default/ ... 20Info.pdf

Return to “Lakewood General Discussions”