DinerBar OPEN - Better Than I Remembered

The jumping off discussion area for the rest of the Deck. All things Lakewood.
Please check out our other sections. As we refile many discussions from the past into
their proper sections please check them out and offer suggestions.

Moderators: Jim DeVito, Dan Alaimo

Jim O'Bryan

DinerBar OPEN - Better Than I Remembered

Postby Jim O'Bryan » Wed Aug 15, 2018 4:12 pm

And that is saying a lot as I was a huge fan of The Clifton Diner. I was more than a little sadden by its closure. Maybe one of the reasons I was looking forward to the new and improved version at 11801 Clifton "DinerBar on Clifton."

Well it opened today with a soft opening that turned hard immediately! The breakfast crowd was larger than anticipated but the new crew, and the new staff handled it all perfectly, and all I heard were rave reviews about the breakfast. I had no time to wait so I stopped back around 2:30pm, usually a slow time for restaurants on a weekday. They had recovered from the "crazy busy" breakfast. Deb and I ordered a light lunch, from the menu (at the bottom of this page) She ordered her favorite, "Risotto Balls" from the Appetizer menu, and I ordered the "Gorgonzola Burger" which we split.

Risotto Balls are one of Deb's favorite street foods from Italy where she spent a lot of time as a kid.

She declared them perfect! As good as anything she had back in Italy, and even thought the Parmigiano-Reggiano might have been overkill back here in the states but very authentic, and loved it.

I was not familiar, and would have never order them personally, but damn! They were delicious, and I can see why they would make for great streets food, like fish and chips in the UK, and hot dogs here in the States. Tasty, very filling.

The Gorgonzola Burger with french fries, pickles and a grainy mustard mayo.

I prefer my burgers medium rare, especially with blue cheese, but Deb prefers medium, so we ordered medium and they nailed it perfectly. So perfectly, it was still very juicy. It was pleasantly offset with the "soft fluffy bun" and sliced red onion.

Service was top notch, I heard a couple of the servers talking as we were finishing up. "How are you holding up?" "I have to admit that morning rush was crazy, but I am holding up well." Coming back to the table with the bill, our server mentioned the dessert cabinet featuring some amazing desserts. Deb and I were full but we stopped by for a look. I had not seen such a selection of decadence since Max's Deli in Rocky River, which was known far and wide for amazing desserts. Annabella handles the pastry at DinerBar, and I am sure she will add to its fame as the two items we ordered to take home were amazing! I can see stopping there late after a show or hitting the clubs just for a dessert, and nightcap.

I have a feeling that Perry and Jim have created yet another legendary food spot, and a place to hit both late and night and early in the morning. Or for that matter all day long!

Food, amazing.
Staff, Amazing.
Location and views, great.
Prices, very affordable.
Ambiance, all you want from a diner and much much more!

Don't take my word for it. Check it out yourself!
11801 Clifton Blvd.
7:00am - 11:00pm daily.

Menu

Jim O'Bryan
Lakewood Resident

"The very act of observing disturbs the system."
Werner Heisenberg

"If anything I've said seems useful to you, I'm glad.
If not, don't worry. Just forget about it."
His Holiness The Dalai Lama
Jim O'Bryan

Re: DinerBar OPEN - Better Than I Remembered

Postby Jim O'Bryan » Thu Aug 16, 2018 4:26 am

Chocolate Carmel Tart by Annabella.

Annabella is a young pastry chef that has an amazing future, and an illustrious history already.

We were too full to enjoy dessert while we were there, so took a slice of this home. It is not runny as it appears, it is just staged perfectly, with an amazing balance of chocolate, caramel, and a crumbly chocolate crust.

Do not leave without a pastry!

Her cakes, pies, cookies, looked amazing, and if they tasted anywhere as near as good as they looked...

DinerBar on Clifton will be a success, the food, the service, the price and desert by Annabella will make it so.

Check it out.

Jim O'Bryan
Lakewood Resident

"The very act of observing disturbs the system."
Werner Heisenberg

"If anything I've said seems useful to you, I'm glad.
If not, don't worry. Just forget about it."
His Holiness The Dalai Lama

Return to “Lakewood General Discussions”