Appointments

The jumping off discussion area for the rest of the Deck. All things Lakewood.
Please check out our other sections. As we refile many discussions from the past into
their proper sections please check them out and offer suggestions.

Moderators: Jim DeVito, Dan Alaimo

mjkuhns

Appointments

Postby mjkuhns » Sun Jul 15, 2018 11:04 am

Rumors make the rounds in Lakewood. It's a constant background to life. I'm personally reluctant to comment on rumors for which I have no solid evidence, and not all lend themselves to simple attempts at confirmation.

That said, I find no reason why I shouldn't revisit a topic that has been "out in the open" for nearly a decade, and add my own views to the record.

This 2009 post collected the following statements from several citizen voices, a number of them still active.

“I thought the answer was that we regular moms and dads and residents make sure that everyone is registered to vote, and then make sure that everyone does vote. But if the people we elect are going to step down and appoint more insiders, with their narrow vision of what is "good" for the city, what are we supposed to do?

Betsy Voinovich”

As diverse as Lakewood is, I'm not sure our elected officials (as a group) are equally as diverse in their attitudes. The trouble comes in when everyone in power thinks the same and opposing opinions are disregarded, then the vision does not reflect that of the entire community.

Meg Ostrowski

Even more troubling is all of the talk about appointments, long running programs of stepping down, and moving along. Candidates with little experience getting large amounts of votes even though they have never been to my door or to the doors of our friends in the city. Almost like a machine is running the entire process on all levels. Candidates remaining silent and having other politicians coming in to speak for them!

Ken Wilder

“I hope the rumors are wrong about one getting in unopposed and retiring to allow someone different to step in. Again. Because that would be wrong no matter how the charter is written.
Justine Cooper

Iwas under the impression it was a public process to appoint a successor? Posted here on the Deck as Matt Markling stated. Are you saying there was another list that was intended to subvert the process? And this is the first time the general public is hearing about it. If the public knew sooner, there might be challengers to the unopposed. Too late now.
Charlie Page

Who will be the secret replacement if she wins? Who will be Councilman Bullocks replacement if he wins? Who will replace the Mayor if he seeks appointment next year to Countywide office? Those unanswered questions make it more important than ever to have one or two independent voices on council.
Bill Call

Vote for whomever you please.

But something is WAY not right here, at least in my opinion.
Gary Rice

I would like to add that in my capacity as a humble, private citizen of Lakewood, I think that the practice of appointed incumbency should end. I believe that it is, at best, open to abuse. At worst it invites cynical manipulation for the purpose of thwarting a fair, equally open to all democratic process. There should only be one, front, door to elected office. So long as side and back doors exist, meanwhile, any occasion of their use should be subject to intense scrutiny.

:: matt kuhns ::
Bridget Conant

Re: Appointments

Postby Bridget Conant » Sun Jul 15, 2018 2:36 pm

So who is rumored to be leaving?

Last rumor I heard was Bullock looking for DC job. :lol:

Stan Austin
Contributor

Postby Stan Austin » Sun Jul 15, 2018 3:00 pm

Press Secretary's coming up. Gotta be lucid,coherent, and punctual. Perfect match.

Michael Deneen

Postby Michael Deneen » Sun Jul 15, 2018 3:30 pm

Stan Austin wrote:Press Secretary's coming up. Gotta be lucid,coherent, and punctual. Perfect match.

Bullock would be an ideal Press Secretary for Trump.
He's been lying on behalf of corporate and Republican interests for over 10 years.

He has all the key traits necessary for the job:

*Complete willingness to ignore facts
*An absence of any conscience or human empathy
*Loves being in front of the camera
*The shameless ability to declare himself a "victim" while he bullies others

[img]
bullockhospital.jpg
[/img]
Attachments
bullockhospital.jpg
bullockhospital.jpg (294.46 KiB) Viewed 2334 times

Mark Kindt

Postby Mark Kindt » Sun Jul 15, 2018 3:46 pm

I do not know any rumors, but I do have the courage to speculate and speculate I shall.

Mr. Kuhns' observation on the undesirability of such appointments would be vindicated should former council-member Marx be appointed to fill any council seat that might become vacant.

The will of the electorate in 2017 would be completely frustrated should Ms. Marx be appointed to an open council seat in 2018. It would just be too bizarre.

I use this only as an example of the kind of situation that would exemplify using such appointment powers as an abuse of democracy.

Should this by chance occur, it will only reinforce the need for municipal reform in Lakewood.

This is all conjecture on a late Sunday afternoon. I will resume some serious writing later in the week.

Michael Deneen

Postby Michael Deneen » Sun Jul 15, 2018 4:00 pm

Mark Kindt wrote:Mr. Kuhns' observation on the undesirability of such appointments would be vindicated should former council-member Marx be appointed to fill any council seat that might become vacant.The will of the electorate in 2017 would be completely frustrated should Ms. Marx be appointed to an open council seat in 2018. It would just be too bizarre.

As cynical as I am about "Team Summers", even I don't think they would be foolish enough to appoint Marx.
They can see the election results....they realize that her name is poison to the Lakewood electorate.
Not only was she humiliated in fall 2017 (first council member to lose re-election in 24 years)…..but six months later she lost the vote for Democratic Precinct Rep IN HER OWN NEIGHBORHOOD!
That is an absolutely breathtaking fall from grace....arguably even worse than Bullock's. (and Bullock is the guy presumabley being pushed out of town)

A Marx appointment would be a political anchor around the necks of O'Leary, Anderson, Litten, and any other "Team Summers" nominees in 2019.
Team Summers' most logical play would be to appoint a fresh face to fill the seat...someone who doesn't carry any "Hospital Baggage".

Bridget Conant

Postby Bridget Conant » Mon Jul 16, 2018 11:04 am

There’s also the rumor out there that Summers will “retire” and a successor will be put in to get the jump on the next election.

They have a nasty habit of pulling that stunt here in Lakewood.

Return to “Lakewood General Discussions”