Disastrous "Economic Development" Policies Coming From First Suburbs Consortium

The jumping off discussion area for the rest of the Deck. All things Lakewood.
Please check out our other sections. As we refile many discussions from the past into
their proper sections please check them out and offer suggestions.

Moderators: Jim DeVito, Dan Alaimo

Jared Denman

Disastrous "Economic Development" Policies Coming From First Suburbs Consortium

Postby Jared Denman » Mon Jul 09, 2018 12:43 pm

I have been interested in discovering when and where this reckless "economic development" policy that has been pursued by the City since the Westend Project originated. While this may be no surprise to many of you who have been here longer, it appears they have been following the "Lakewood Community Vision" that was promulgated in the late 90s and backed by the First Suburbs Consortium. In my research I found this gem in a study titled, "Solving Sprawl: Models of Smart Growth in Communities Across America" by the Natural Resources Defense Council.
Attachments
First Suburbs and Main Street.jpeg
First Suburbs and Main Street.jpeg (108.52 KiB) Viewed 3551 times

Jared Denman

Re: Disastrous "Economic Development" Policies Coming From First Suburbs Consortium

Postby Jared Denman » Mon Jul 09, 2018 12:49 pm

From the First Suburbs Consortium's 2016 990. Dru Siley is also on the board.

Summers and First Suburbs.jpg
Summers and First Suburbs.jpg (131.84 KiB) Viewed 3546 times

Jared Denman

Re: Disastrous "Economic Development" Policies Coming From First Suburbs Consortium

Postby Jared Denman » Sat Jul 14, 2018 8:31 pm

Some things I meant to highlight from the excerpt from "Solving Sprawl:"

1) The Main Street Connections program "was financed and coordinated solely by the First Suburbs Consortium."
2) "The consortium retained a retail development consultant to study two shopping districts in each member municipality..."
3) The resulting studies, "...yielded a set of recommendations for each district, such as zoning and coding changes, financial packaging options, streetscape and marketing improvements, and changes to the tenant mix
4) "The Consortium also plans a development council, which will provide 'one-stop shopping' for developers interested in investing in any First Suburbs municipality."

Mark Kindt

Postby Mark Kindt » Sun Jul 15, 2018 9:57 am

I want to briefly highlight another issue related to this "quasi governmental non-profit organization" --The First Suburbs Consortium.

Once this kind of governmental decision-making process is moved behind the closed doors of a separate non-profit organization, that decision-making process goes "dark" from public review or participation.

The citizens essentially lose their statutory rights under Ohio law to have open and transparent government.

Mark Kindt

Postby Mark Kindt » Tue Jul 17, 2018 9:30 am

Mr. Denman, could you clarify for us whether or not there are directors of the First Suburbs Consortium who are not public officials? Does the First Suburbs Consortium have private or non-public members?

Bill Call

Postby Bill Call » Wed Jul 25, 2018 6:31 am

Mark Kindt wrote:Mr. Denman, could you clarify for us whether or not there are directors of the First Suburbs Consortium who are not public officials? Does the First Suburbs Consortium have private or non-public members?

Here is the 2016 990:

first suburbs.pdf
(1.12 MiB) Downloaded 196 times

Mayor Summers appears to be the only elected official on the Board.

It seems the First Suburbs Consortium doesn't do much more than pay salaries and benefits.

I suspect the purpose of the First Suburbs Consortium is to give the appearance of action. "WE HAVE BANDED TOGETHER TO DEFEND OUR INTERESTS!" And then..nothing.

Does anyone recall the FSC taking a stand on any development project, freeway widening scheme or the transfer of jobs to Lorain County?

It's possible that the FSC offers a venue and email options to allow members to discuss local issues that should be open to the public and subject to open records laws. However, Mayor Summers and our Lakewood City Council have proven that those are laws dead letter laws so I don't see the point.

Return to “Lakewood General Discussions”