Garfield Principal Named Next Lakewood High Principal

The jumping off discussion area for the rest of the Deck. All things Lakewood.
Please check out our other sections. As we refile many discussions from the past into
their proper sections please check them out and offer suggestions.

Moderators: Jim DeVito, Dan Alaimo

Jim O'Bryan

Garfield Principal Named Next Lakewood High Principal

Postby Jim O'Bryan » Thu Jun 14, 2018 7:52 am

The Lakewood Board of Education ​approved this morning in a special session the appointment of Garfield Middle School Principal Mark Walter as the next Principal of Lakewood High School effective August 1.

Walter, who is replacing Keith Ahearn, is a 1982 graduate of Lakewood High and joined the District in1998 as a science and language arts teacher. After teaching at the middle school level for six years, he joined the administrative ranks as Assistant Principal at the former Emerson Middle School.The following year he was named Principal at the former Horace Mann Middle School. He then landed at Garfield, where he as served as Principal for the past 11 school years.

As both a teacher and administrator, Walter has been involved in many Lakewood education teams and committees such as the Lakewood Local Professional Development Committee (LPDC),Entry Year Teacher Committee, and curriculum development. He received his undergraduate degree from Kent State University and his Master’s in Education from Cleveland State University. Along with his teaching credentials and administrator licenses, Walter also completed the work to attain National Board Teaching Certification.

“I am deeply honored , humbled, and excited to have the is opportunity to further my career at Lakewood High School,” Walter said. “It is truly a privilege to be named the principal of my alma mater in the community where my roots are and my heart lies.”

“I am grateful to all of my colleagues at Garfield and throughout the District who work so hard to ensure student growth and success. I am extremely appreciative of the Lakewood Board of Education, Superintendent Patterson, Assistant Superintendent Ramsey-Caserio and our incoming administrators Dr. Michael Barnes, and Mrs. Maggie Niedzwiecki for their confidence in me and for providing me with this unique opportunity."

Dr. Barnes, the District’s next Superintendent said, “I am incredibly excited that Mark Walter will be the next Principal at Lakewood High School. Mark is an exceptional leader that is extremely kid-centered. As a Lakewood High School graduate himself,Mark truly understands the value that this community places on the development of the whole child. I look forward to working and supporting Mark Walter as Lakewood High School's next Principal.”

Jim O'Bryan
Lakewood Resident

"The very act of observing disturbs the system."
Werner Heisenberg

"If anything I've said seems useful to you, I'm glad.
If not, don't worry. Just forget about it."
His Holiness The Dalai Lama
Gary Rice

Re: Garfield Principal Named Next Lakewood High Principal

Postby Gary Rice » Thu Jun 14, 2018 9:44 am

I can think of no finer choice for this position than Mark Walter. :D

I've worked with him for years as a volunteer retired teacher at Garfield, so I've seen how he's handled a myriad of professional educational situations, and with ALL of those situations, he has done exceedingly well with students, parents, and staff.

His ever-present smile is infectious. His positive student-oriented attitude is spot-on, and his rapport with everyone is just fantastic. He knows how to, and constantly goes, the extra mile. His naturally positive attitude helps him to handle whatever comes along with grace and wisdom.

I've known Mark all of his life. His parents and mine were the best of friends. His mom and mine were weekly bridge partners and his dad taught with my dad at Harding. I might add that his own father's exemplary and pioneer work with students who needed extra help was an instrumental factor regarding my own formation towards going into that same type of teaching. In fact, back in the day, many times I was called to be a substitute teacher at Harding for Mark's dad, in the days before I accepted a full time teaching position in another district.

I even taught young Mark how to play the guitar when he was a lad, and he enthusiastically continues that hobby.

You might be tempted to call me biased with these admittedly gushing and positive remarks, but the honest truth be told, even had I not known Mark for as long as I have known him, I would still be able to objectively state professionally that he is the finest school administrator I've ever known. :D

Congratulations to Mr. Walter and to Lakewood High School! :D

Back to the banjo. :D

Return to “Lakewood General Discussions”