Trailer Park theme for beer garden - this is real

The jumping off discussion area for the rest of the Deck. All things Lakewood.
Please check out our other sections. As we refile many discussions from the past into
their proper sections please check them out and offer suggestions.

Moderators: Jim DeVito, Dan Alaimo

Matthew Lee

Re: Trailer Park theme for beer garden - this is real

Postby Matthew Lee » Fri Jun 08, 2018 12:10 pm

Michael Deneen wrote:Many citizens and community members care, but kids are obviously not a high priority for city leadership.
This is particularly true in the area of athletics and recreation, which I've been covering for 13 years for the Observer.

Your initial quote was "Lakewood has a very low regard for its children" not "Lakewood city leadership has a very low regard for its children". Those are two very, very different statements.

Bridget Conant

Postby Bridget Conant » Fri Jun 08, 2018 4:37 pm

I think the implication WAS the administration and not individual residents. At least, that’s what I thought when I read it.

I recall curfews being imposed, hoops removed, the Kauffman Park issue, the library issue, and it all led me to a similar conclusion when I read that the Planning Commission thought it would be just fine to move kids’ t-ball games to accommodate a bar and drinkers.

So, not everyone thought Mike meant most Lakewood residents like you did.

Matthew Lee

Postby Matthew Lee » Fri Jun 08, 2018 4:42 pm

Bridget Conant wrote:I think the implication WAS the administration and not individual residents. At least, that’s what I thought when I read it.

I recall curfews being imposed, hoops removed, the Kauffman Park issue, the library issue, and it all led me to a similar conclusion when I read that the Planning Commission thought it would be just fine to move kids’ t-ball games to accommodate a bar and drinkers.

So, not everyone thought Mike meant most Lakewood residents like you did.

So, from now on, any time someone on this forum says "Lakewood" we should assume they mean "Lakewood administration"? How does that help new browsers of the forum?

If there is any wonder why this forum has lost so many posters, this might be the answer. Post what you mean, not what you think others will interpret what you mean.

cameron karslake

Postby cameron karslake » Wed Jun 13, 2018 3:41 pm

Just some food for thought:

I've been by the Edwards/Detroit intersection a bunch of times since this idea came to light. Each and every time there was a T-ball game, there were about 20 cars in the lot in question. Anybody give any thought to where those families are going to park their cars when they come to a game. They fill the lot about 3/4 full. Are there enough park spaces on Detroit to absorb these cars? Are the residents of Edwards prepared to give up their spaces for these families? Will anyone speak for them, the FAMILIES?\

Isn't there enough alcohol and food establishments in this town already?

Bridget Conant

Postby Bridget Conant » Wed Jun 13, 2018 3:44 pm

But a Beer Garden is HIP, NEW, APPEALS TO MILLENIALS!- all the things Team Summers so desperately wants to be associated with. He needs some way to win back all the younger people in the city who totally opposed his ridiculous BSL stance.

He’s in trouble and he knows it.

Jim O'Bryan

Postby Jim O'Bryan » Wed Jun 13, 2018 4:03 pm

Bridget Conant wrote:

But a Beer Garden is HIP, NEW, APPEALS TO MILLENIALS!- all the things Team Summers so desperately wants to be associated with. He needs some way to win back all the younger people in the city who totally opposed his ridiculous BSL stance.

While he has gained about 244 21-24 year olds, he no WE are losing on every other age group.

Friday night is food truck night here, Thursday night there, Tuesday night here, and...

Well at least here it makes sense!

Jim O'Bryan
Lakewood Resident

"The very act of observing disturbs the system."
Werner Heisenberg

"If anything I've said seems useful to you, I'm glad.
If not, don't worry. Just forget about it."
His Holiness The Dalai Lama
Brian Essi

Postby Brian Essi » Wed Jun 13, 2018 5:03 pm

Jim O'Bryan wrote:
Bridget Conant wrote:

While he has gained about 244 21-24 year olds, he no WE are losing on every other age group.

Friday night is food truck night here, Thursday night there, Tuesday night here, and...

Well at least here it makes sense!

Great Picture Dr. O'Bryan

Food trucks are just so beautiful! ART in the heart of Lakewood!

Folks working out at the Y can see all those pretty colors through the window, think about what they want to order and then stroll over for some healthy food after the workout. A little sand from the pretty beach the night before is good for your constitution.

Perhaps the Healthy Lakewood Flounderation can lend financial support for this "big thinking" Voters 4 Progress plan.

Food service is a changing....we've gotta keep up with the times.

David Anderson has no legitimate answers
Kate McCarthy

Postby Kate McCarthy » Wed Jun 13, 2018 8:30 pm

cameron karslake wrote:Just some food for thought:

I've been by the Edwards/Detroit intersection a bunch of times since this idea came to light. Each and every time there was a T-ball game, there were about 20 cars in the lot in question. Anybody give any thought to where those families are going to park their cars when they come to a game. They fill the lot about 3/4 full. Are there enough park spaces on Detroit to absorb these cars? Are the residents of Edwards prepared to give up their spaces for these families? Will anyone speak for them, the FAMILIES?\

There were T-Ball games before the lot was empty so parking for the park isn't a huge problem until you add the parking needs for a 300 or so capacity venue. The planning commission heard plenty from residents, councilpersons, the Community Recreation and Education department, and other local business owners. They simply don't care. They approved a hasty redesign and the city's planning department was all in from the get go.

Bridget Conant

Postby Bridget Conant » Wed Jun 13, 2018 8:54 pm

The planning commission heard plenty from residents, councilpersons, the Community Recreation and Education department, and other local business owners. They simply don't care. They approved a hasty redesign and the city's planning department was all in from the get go.

So I see nothing has changed since the West End debacle - when people asked how traffic would be directed from 90 to the new “mall,” the planning department said they were going to use Larchmont, a very narrow street. When people pointed that out - that it was narrow and likely couldn’t handle a lot more traffic, they said they had a traffic study that said all would be fine. So my neighbor and I trotted down to City Hall and asked to see the “traffic study.” Guess what? THEY DID NOT HAVE ONE.

The “traffic study” was a complete fabrication. From that point on I realized it ALL was a fantasy from people who just had to get their way and damn everyone else.

This sounds like yet another “great idea” that won’t be so great for residents. Honestly, why don’t they put an open air bar and food trucks down in the Lagoons? Now THAT is an idea!

Jim O'Bryan

Postby Jim O'Bryan » Thu Jun 14, 2018 6:56 am

Bridget Conant wrote:
The planning commission heard plenty from residents, councilpersons, the Community Recreation and Education department, and other local business owners. They simply don't care. They approved a hasty redesign and the city's planning department was all in from the get go.

So I see nothing has changed since the West End debacle - when people asked how traffic would be directed from 90 to the new “mall,” the planning department said they were going to use Larchmont, a very narrow street. When people pointed that out - that it was narrow and likely couldn’t handle a lot more traffic, they said they had a traffic study that said all would be fine. So my neighbor and I trotted down to City Hall and asked to see the “traffic study.” Guess what? THEY DID NOT HAVE ONE.

The “traffic study” was a complete fabrication. From that point on I realized it ALL was a fantasy from people who just had to get their way and damn everyone else.

This sounds like yet another “great idea” that won’t be so great for residents. Honestly, why don’t they put an open air bar and food trucks down in the Lagoons? Now THAT is an idea!

Bridget

You leave so many of the lies they told and tell out of this post. How could you forget when questioned about "their world class multi-use strip mall" that after questioning the wisdom of the Larchmont lie, they said with a straight face to the voters, "People will exit south on McKinley, head to the Hillard Bridge, drive west on Hillard, North on Wooster, then recross the Detroit Bridge to go to their world class multi-use strip mall!" When laughed at over that they simply smiled and lied some more. "No we will have signs directing people to go that way," was their answer. IT was just amazing.

Then there was the great lie, "The Cedar Lee Theater is coming." When called the owners of the Cedar Lee said one he was never even spoken to about it, and that he had no plans of coming to Lakewood." More lies on top of more lies on top of more lies. No studies, and when studies were finally made, they had nothing to do with what was being prepared, or those doign the studies were told what to put down.

My question to you, I realize that the new residents of Lakewood would be fooled into thinking City Hall, and their sycophants are honest. Most people want to beilive City Hall is honest. And most people realize that there are people who cost is so little a smile, and a small favor can buy them, But how do you a person that knows firsthand the same group of compulsive liars, sycophants and very, very, very small in the box thinkers would change? They lied about MArc's Plaza, they lied about the WestEnd, they lied about Kauffman Park, they lied about 5 Guys Burgers, why would they not lie about the biggest fuck-up in their and now our history. The liquidation of a $200 million dollar nebulous asset and single largest employer for a Rec Center, errr no a tech corridor, errr no, Soccer Fields, err no "damn we got caught again," ahhh errr ahh "'One Lakewood' the best multi-use strip mall EVER!" A place for us to have offices to see over the millions and millions we have scammed from you, the good people of Lakewood.

It is rare, really rare when you can see so many people work and lie so hard to come up with a plan so bad in every way, that the community would have been over $100 million better off just locking the doors and doing nothing.

Had the City done nothing We would still have $178 million dollar physical asset, that could have been done something, anything other than the thing that according to best forecasts will lose $2million a year. We would have still had parking, and space to develop in Lakewood. We would have had nearly $100 million in private foundation money that was collected to benefit the health of Lakewoodites, not the county or even farther. That is this would have been put into the simplest of safe holding areas the interest along would have been nearly the same as the taxes, and far better than the $2 million project loss. We would still have the $7 million from Dick Jacobs, as it would not have had to been spent to take attention away from what was really going on.

And most importantly we might have had a City Hall that was honest, transparent and accountable. And we are quickly finding out, the lose of that is massive.

Jim O'Bryan
Lakewood Resident

"The very act of observing disturbs the system."
Werner Heisenberg

"If anything I've said seems useful to you, I'm glad.
If not, don't worry. Just forget about it."
His Holiness The Dalai Lama

Return to “Lakewood General Discussions”