Memorial Day & Veteran's Day

The jumping off discussion area for the rest of the Deck. All things Lakewood.
Please check out our other sections. As we refile many discussions from the past into
their proper sections please check them out and offer suggestions.

Moderators: Jim DeVito, Dan Alaimo

Mark Crnolatas

Memorial Day & Veteran's Day

Postby Mark Crnolatas » Thu May 24, 2018 3:23 pm

Monday is Memorial Day. It's a day set aside to honor those that gave their lives for our country.

Veterans' Day is a day set aside to honor the Veterans of wars.

That being said, Monday, give those that gave their all a moment of silence. Perhaps a prayer for the people they left behind.

Take a look at Arlington. There are over 400,000 white crosses there. Those are the real heros.

Someone was asked who were the toughest "guys" in the military. The Navy SEALS? Army Delta Force? USAF Spec.Ops?, The guys and gals we
don't even know exist, yet they work silently and beneath the radar to keep our country safe?
Not really. The toughest guys and gals are those who can shed a tear for those who are no longer with us, regardless of their backround.

Hand.......SALUTE!

Mark Allan Crnolatas Sr.
In God We Trust
Gary Rice

Re: Memorial Day & Veteran's Day

Postby Gary Rice » Thu May 24, 2018 6:35 pm

Mark,

Thank you for your service sir.

This would be a good time to remind Lakewood's veterans about a special memorial veterans service being offered this Sunday at Grace Presbyterian Church (Rosewood at Madison/Hilliard) at 10 a.m. I think this will be their 51st year doing the service. The service honors ALL vets of ALL faiths. The Sanctuary is filled with flags, and it will be one of the times that I will be putting the banjo aside and picking up a drum to play with well known area bagpiper Jeff Sandlin for the processional, recessional and selected pieces during the service.

I would love to see all Lakewood vets there.

Gary Rice
Member, Sons of the American Legion

Peter Grossetti

Postby Peter Grossetti » Thu May 24, 2018 8:17 pm

I think I speak for the vast majority of my fellow veterans (U S Coast Guard 1979-1988): there is NO more solemn or profound holiday than Memorial Day.

NONE.

Please, oh please ... don’t confuse the difference between Memorial Day and Veterans Day.

"So, let's make the most of this beautiful day.
Since we're together we might as well say:
Would you be mine? Could you be mine?
Won't you be my neighbor?"

~ Fred (Mr. Rogers) Rogers
Gary Rice

Postby Gary Rice » Sat May 26, 2018 4:55 pm

Just reminding all about the 10 a.m. Sunday (tomorrow) service at Grace Presbyterian at Madison and Rosewood honoring all veterans, and particularly those who have gone on and are resting in hallowed ground.

If you are a veteran or a member of your family was a veteran, this is a very special service. Please consider coming to church. The church has big rafters, so I'm pretty sure they will not fall in if you've been away from church for awhile. :wink:

Don't forget that access to the church parking lot is off Rosewood, but that Rosewood no longer extends up to Madison. You'll need to either come up Rosewood from Detroit, or over from Orchard Grove.

I am hoping to see you there. Let's remember the fallen tomorrow as a community.

Back to the pipes and drum. :D

Gary Rice

Postby Gary Rice » Sun May 27, 2018 5:50 pm

Just a follow-up, thanking those of you who came to the service today.

It was a beautiful and meaningful morning.

Tomorrow and indeed, always, please remember the fallen.

Thank you veterans, for your service.

Return to “Lakewood General Discussions”