Should Tom Bullock Be Recalled?

The jumping off discussion area for the rest of the Deck. All things Lakewood.
Please check out our other sections. As we refile many discussions from the past into
their proper sections please check them out and offer suggestions.

Moderators: Jim DeVito, Dan Alaimo

Michael Deneen

Should Tom Bullock Be Recalled?

Postby Michael Deneen » Thu May 10, 2018 5:52 pm

I've been hearing chatter about a recall effort next year against Tom Bullock.
I guess it's not surprising.....he has been humiliated twice at the ballot box in a span of six months. That is a very rare feat in US politics.

First he narrowly avoided being the first Lakewood council member to lose re-election in 24 years.
Then he gets hammered in the state rep primary by Mike Skindell.
He failed in both these campaigns despite the endorsement and financial backing of the Democratic Establishment.

During his 10+ years on council he has systematically alienated voters across a wide range of issues, and has built a reputation for ambition, dishonesty and phoniness. He shows no core beliefs (beyond the belief that he belongs in higher office) and has consistently sided with corporate interests over citizens. In his most recent race, Bullock teamed up with Martin Sweeney, who ran a homophobic "dog whistle" campaign against Nickie Antonio.

His own council colleagues won't vote him to a leadership position, even though he has significant seniority over all of them. That is a sign of complete disrespect.

Despite these failures, I don't wish to see a Bullock recall launched. I'd rather see efforts focused on next year's Mayoral and ward council elections, where I think very positive change can occur.
Besides, the removal of Bullock could result in another Summers clone like Cindy Marx. I find that idea about as appealing as "President Pence" (which is why I don't want impeachment, either).

I understand the desire to penalize Bullock for his numerous sins -- but I think the best way to punish him is to keep him on council.
He obviously dreads that job. He's been trying to run for higher office for years.
He often shows up late for meetings, and even when he's there, he often diddles around on his phone.

He has spent over ten years serving in a "stepping stone" job that he doesn't want, yet he is obligated to serve for over three more years.
He has been forced to sit and watch others get promoted over him, despite all his efforts to climb the ladder.
He has 42 months remaining on his "sentence"....I think he should serve it.

[img]
bullockandsweeney.png
[/img]
Attachments
bullockandsweeney.png
bullockandsweeney.png (564.67 KiB) Viewed 4386 times

Dan Alaimo

Re: Should Tom Bullock Be Recalled?

Postby Dan Alaimo » Thu May 10, 2018 6:43 pm

It's failure to launch, Lakewood politics style.
Like he's living in the city hall basement, figuratively speaking of course.

Five months into a four-year term and he's a lame duck. I don't see an upside to recalling him either.

“Never let a good crisis go to waste." - Winston Churchill (Quote later appropriated by Rahm Emanuel)
Michael Deneen

Postby Michael Deneen » Fri May 11, 2018 8:31 am

Dan Alaimo wrote:It's failure to launch, Lakewood politics style.

I was thinking "Arrested Development".
Summers fills the Lucille Bluth role quite well.
However, Bullock lacks Buster's likeability.
Attachments
busterbluth.jpg
busterbluth.jpg (71.21 KiB) Viewed 4162 times

Jim O'Bryan

Postby Jim O'Bryan » Fri May 11, 2018 8:33 am

Michael Deneen wrote:He has spent over ten years serving in a "stepping stone" job that he doesn't want, yet he is obligated to serve for over three more years.
He has been forced to sit and watch others get promoted over him, despite all his efforts to climb the ladder.
He has 42 months remaining on his "sentence"....I think he should serve it.

[img]
bullockandsweeney.png
[/img]

Mike

You have to wait a year, but you raise some good points. It would be nice to have a council person that cares just a little more about the city they are in, then where they can go next.

Recalls serve an important duty. It helps elected officials remember who they work for, and holds them accountable through out their term.

Right now, Council seems to be more worried about serving the Mayor, and protecting their asses then serving the public.

At coffee this morning it was noted that even after CCF spent $250,000 dollars, and council and the Mayor lied about every aspect of the Hospital Debacle, it barely squeaked by during the vote.

At some point, the dinner bill comes, and some one has to pay for it all.

Jim O'Bryan
Lakewood Resident

"The very act of observing disturbs the system."
Werner Heisenberg

"If anything I've said seems useful to you, I'm glad.
If not, don't worry. Just forget about it."
His Holiness The Dalai Lama
Michael Deneen

Postby Michael Deneen » Fri May 11, 2018 12:52 pm

Jim O'Bryan wrote:Right now, Council seems to be more worried about serving the Mayor, and protecting their asses then serving the public.

Unless they are complete idiots, it should be very clear to O'Leary, Anderson, and Litten that the Mayor can no longer deliver them re-election.
Will they grow a spine and try to distance themselves from the toxic Summers legacy....or will they double down like Bullock?
Time will tell...but my hunch is that they will go down with the Summers Ship.
Cowards remain cowards.

Stan Austin
Contributor

Postby Stan Austin » Fri May 11, 2018 2:16 pm

A recall campaign can be strenuous and its outcome questionable. Better to laser focus on the individual's public actions and statements and have them highlighted in posts on this outlet and other social media so as to isolate that individual.

Dan Alaimo

Postby Dan Alaimo » Fri May 11, 2018 4:49 pm

Stan Austin wrote:A recall campaign can be strenuous and its outcome questionable. Better to laser focus on the individual's public actions and statements and have them highlighted in posts on this outlet and other social media so as to isolate that individual.

It's not worth going after Bullock. These two elections have damaged him badly although he'll continue to pontificate as always.
The mayor is another matter. He is the one elected official principally responsible for the mess we read about here. Regardless of who takes his place, it's a question of justice that can't be obtained by other means. But it would be a very long slog.

“Never let a good crisis go to waste." - Winston Churchill (Quote later appropriated by Rahm Emanuel)
Jim O'Bryan

Postby Jim O'Bryan » Fri May 11, 2018 6:41 pm

Dan Alaimo wrote:It's not worth going after Bullock. These two elections have damaged him badly although he'll continue to pontificate as always.
The mayor is another matter. He is the one elected official principally responsible for the mess we read about here. Regardless of who takes his place, it's a question of justice that can't be obtained by other means. But it would be a very long slog.

Dan

I would suggest that Mayor Summers is already in his own mental prison. He will be forever remembered as the worst Mayor in Lakewood's history. The Mayor that divided the community with lies, lawsuits and just terrible deals. The man that sold Lakewood to benefit his friends and no one but his friends. I am sure he was played as much as the rest of the city was by his supporters and other politicians that realized he was not that bright. But his stubbornness and unwillingness to learn and lack of any critical thinking will always be his downfall. The grand businessman that merely sold off the family business, came into power in Lakewood and immediately started to do the only thing he knew how to do, sell off the assets, and create the illusion of working. Certainly the worst Mayor ever in Lakewood's history.

I would say the target of a recall should be someone like, the boy who wants to be king, Sam O'Leary. The boy that came in making fun of Tom Bullock and Mayor Summers for being fake Democrats, shills and something he never, ever, ever would be. Got taken to the Mayor's office and shown the private shower used to clean the slime off of one's body, and then got to spin around in the chair, just like a Big Boy, and in an instant he was owned lock stock and barrel. Instantly he forgot his duty to the people, and became another bit player in the charade put on by Mayor Summers and his crew of handlers. While spinning in the chair all of his sense of duty, honor, accountability and democracy left his body as water leaves lettuce in a salad spinner. And when they stopped the chair up stood, the forever boy who could be the next Tom Bullock. Hell he even rose faster than snake oil Tom. He became Council President, not based on credentials, not based on intelligence but solely based on the fact his idol, was so unloved and not trusted, and loathed by his fellow councilmen, Sam was the obvious slap in the face.

No if a person is target for recall, it should be Sam, at least a lesson might be taught that would last a long time, and maybe, just maybe could turn him into a man, of honor.

Jim O'Bryan
Lakewood Resident

Werner Heisenberg

Dan Alaimo

Postby Dan Alaimo » Fri May 11, 2018 7:30 pm

So if a gangster robs a bank and gets caught, he can be defended by claiming he's stupid, stubborn and duped by others?

Comey said of Trump that voters should live with, and learn by, their mistake. I don't buy that either.

I'm good with a thorough house cleaning, but cut off the head of the snake.

Jim O'Bryan

Postby Jim O'Bryan » Fri May 11, 2018 8:23 pm

Dan Alaimo wrote:So if a gangster robs a bank and gets caught, he can be defended by claiming he's stupid, stubborn and duped by others?

Comey said of Trump that voters should live with, and learn by, their mistake. I don't buy that either.

I'm good with a thorough house cleaning, but cut off the head of the snake.

Dan

I guess I was thinking more of your long slog, comment.

Most effective use of time and energy.

Bullock has been beaten down. Summers bitter and the Worst Mayor, best use of time is teaching the youth a lesson.

Jim O'Bryan
Lakewood Resident

Werner Heisenberg

Pam Wetula

Postby Pam Wetula » Fri May 11, 2018 8:57 pm

Jim O'Bryan wrote:
Dan Alaimo wrote:It's not worth going after Bullock. These two elections have damaged him badly although he'll continue to pontificate as always.

Dan

I would suggest that Mayor Summers is already in his own mental prison. He will be forever remembered as the worst Mayor in Lakewood's history. The Mayor that divided the community with lies, lawsuits and just terrible deals. The man that sold Lakewood to benefit his friends and no one but his friends. I am sure he was played as much as the rest of the city was by his supporters and other politicians that realized he was not that bright. But his stubbornness and unwillingness to learn and lack of any critical thinking will always be his downfall. The grand businessman that merely sold off the family business, came into power in Lakewood and immediately started to do the only thing he knew how to do, sell off the assets, and create the illusion of working. Certainly the worst Mayor ever in Lakewood's history.

I would say the target of a recall should be someone like, the boy who wants to be king, Sam O'Leary. The boy that came in making fun of Tom Bullock and Mayor Summers for being fake Democrats, shills and something he never, ever, ever would be. Got taken to the Mayor's office and shown the private shower used to clean the slime off of one's body, and then got to spin around in the chair, just like a Big Boy, and in an instant he was owned lock stock and barrel. Instantly he forgot his duty to the people, and became another bit player in the charade put on by Mayor Summers and his crew of handlers. While spinning in the chair all of his sense of duty, honor, accountability and democracy left his body as water leaves lettuce in a salad spinner. And when they stopped the chair up stood, the forever boy who could be the next Tom Bullock. Hell he even rose faster than snake oil Tom. He became Council President, not based on credentials, not based on intelligence but solely based on the fact his idol, was so unloved and not trusted, and loathed by his fellow councilmen, Sam was the obvious slap in the face.

No if a person is target for recall, it should be Sam, at least a lesson might be taught that would last a long time, and maybe, just maybe could turn him into a man, of honor.

Jim

I so agree with you. O'Leary is the one. His City Council position is the longest job he has ever held and as Summers' "Atta boy!" he has moved up quickly. He needs to be brought down as quickly as possible before he inflicts more damage to Lakewood.

Frankly, afraid of his shadow Anderson and the invisible man Litten should go too but I believe the residents will take care of that at the polls the next time around.

Thanks for the DECK and your regular contributors are so appreciated.

Michael Deneen

Postby Michael Deneen » Sun May 13, 2018 7:55 am

Pam Wetula wrote:I so agree with you. O'Leary is the one. His City Council position is the longest job he has ever held and as Summers' "Atta boy!" he has moved up quickly. He needs to be brought down as quickly as possible before he inflicts more damage to Lakewood.

I must admit, the "Recall O'Leary" idea has some merit.
His misdeeds certainly deserve removal from public office.
As a Ward 2 resident, I think he would lose if he runs for re-election next year.
Ward 2 is a hotbed of local activists that are working for change....and O'Leary has no base of support and very little record to run on.
He might run for Mayor just to avoid the embarrassment of losing a Ward election.

Return to “Lakewood General Discussions”