Skindell & Antonio primary success: thanks

The jumping off discussion area for the rest of the Deck. All things Lakewood.
Please check out our other sections. As we refile many discussions from the past into
their proper sections please check them out and offer suggestions.

Moderators: Jim DeVito, Dan Alaimo

mjkuhns

Skindell & Antonio primary success: thanks

Postby mjkuhns » Wed May 09, 2018 8:16 pm

Last night was another long evening of election-returns drama for Lakewood.

Board of Elections reports Michael J. Skindell winning the Democratic nomination for our state representative, with 5,370 to his opponent's 4,272. Mike's message this morning was "I thank Democratic voters for their support on Tuesday and I thank all the volunteers and donors who made our win a reality."

Having been very involved in the campaign I will just say that there was no coasting; Mike and some incredible people worked very hard to earn this nomination. I am proud of having been part of that, and of being part of a campaign that stayed positive.

The Democratic primary for our state senate district was possibly a story for the ages. It can probably best be summarized by saying that Lakewood basically reported last; if you look at this chart you may guess why it was a long and anxious evening that was transformed suddenly by the results from 44107:

Lakewood voters decided this contest, in favor of Nickie Antonio. As above, it's an honor to have been part of this campaign and to have met this kind of response.

It turns out that both Antonio & Skindell will be opposed on the November ballot, so I hope supporters will follow through in the general election.

Meanwhile there were some interesting results for County Democratic Party Central Committee, one or two of them noted already. I believe we can peek at the future of Lakewood in some of the first-time candidates who ran for these offices, both successfully and not.

I'm going to hold off a bit on any more specific interpretation, but I will agree with a friend who commented after the results that something is brewing.

P.S. The results for Issue 1 were not dramatic in the sense of being suspenseful, but they were dramatic in the sense of being remarkable. More than 82% for Yes! Ohio is going to terminate gerrymandering—with extreme prejudice.

:: matt kuhns ::
Jim O'Bryan

Re: Skindell & Antonio primary success: thanks

Postby Jim O'Bryan » Wed May 09, 2018 8:43 pm

Matt

First thank you for all of your hard work on Issue 1, and getting people informed and out to vote. You are a political machine.

On a personal level thank you for your hard work for Michael Skindell, the most honest, transparent hard working politician to ever come out of Lakewood. And Nickie Antonio a political machine on her own, and good Lakewood politician.

One of the things I noticed in your chart was the high turnout in Lakewood and Parma. Two cities where the Observer has big impact with large delivery and participation by residents of both communities.

Thanks again for everything especially your participation here.

Jim O'Bryan
Lakewood Resident

"The very act of observing disturbs the system."
Werner Heisenberg

"If anything I've said seems useful to you, I'm glad.
If not, don't worry. Just forget about it."
His Holiness The Dalai Lama
Michael Deneen

Re: Skindell & Antonio primary success: thanks

Postby Michael Deneen » Wed May 09, 2018 9:58 pm

Big thanks to Matt, not just for his work on Issue 1, but also his efforts for Skindell.
Skindell, who broke his leg a few months ago and is about to undergo surgery, would not have won without Matt.

Jim O'Bryan wrote:One of the things I noticed in your chart was the high turnout in Lakewood and Parma. Two cities where the Observer has big impact with large delivery and participation by residents of both communities.

Very true. This is why the Political Machine hates the Observer.....corruption thrives in an environment of secrecy and low voter turnout.

Return to “Lakewood General Discussions”