Losing Lakewood Hospital - Online Document Archive

The jumping off discussion area for the rest of the Deck. All things Lakewood.
Please check out our other sections. As we refile many discussions from the past into
their proper sections please check them out and offer suggestions.

Moderators: Jim DeVito, Dan Alaimo

Mark Kindt

Re: Losing Lakewood Hospital - Online Document Archive

Postby Mark Kindt » Thu May 03, 2018 9:13 am

Subidium Advises Key LHA Decision-makers That Clinic Offer Had No Material Advantage To Community

This is the most amazing document. It is dated September 24, 2014. It tells members of the LHA Step-Two Committee that the offer from the Cleveland Clinic "had no material advantage for the community".

On the date this analysis was provided, Metro Health System had a pending proposal/offer to operate Lakewood Hospital and invest $100,000,000 over a ten year period that was being studiously ignored by the LHA Step-Two Committee. Let's not forget that this committee had two members who were actually Cleveland Clinic Foundation trustees (!) Other conflicts have been noted in other comments that I have written.
Attachments
No Material Advantage to CCF Offer.pdf
(1.89 MiB) Downloaded 445 times

Mark Kindt

Postby Mark Kindt » Tue May 08, 2018 9:22 am

Appraisal of Former Hospital Site Dated May 7, 2018

Here is a copy of the appraisal report provided to city council on the day that it voted to enter into the term-sheet with the selected developer for the former hospital site. The appraisal report itself explains that it is incomplete and will be supplemented at a future date.
Attachments
Ritley Lakewood Hospital Appraisal Letter 05072018.pdf
(69.71 KiB) Downloaded 438 times

Mark Kindt

Postby Mark Kindt » Wed May 09, 2018 3:44 pm

Council Vote On May 7th Provides Further Support For Keeping TRO In Place To Protect Hospital

On May 7, 2018, city council voted (5 -2) on an "emergency" ordinance to authorize the mayor to proceed with contracting with the selected developer to redevelop the site of Lakewood Hospital.

Today, the Taxpayers argued in the attached Response In Opposition that the city council vote justified "Maintaining the TRO and/or granting the preliminary injunction [...]". Given the authority provided to the mayor under the ordinance, "The threat to Lakewood Hospital is imminent unless the TRO is maintained to preserve the status quo."
Attachments
2018.05.09_Relators' RIO to Mtn to Dissolve TRO & Preliminary Injunction w Affidavit.pdf
(380.34 KiB) Downloaded 443 times

Mark Kindt

Postby Mark Kindt » Wed May 16, 2018 2:58 pm

Ohio Court of Appeals Affirms Decision of Lower Court

On May 10, 2018, a three-judge panel of the Ohio Eighth Circuit Court of Appeals affirmed the dismissal of the lawsuit brought by Lakewood taxpayers to protect Lakewood Hospital.
Attachments
Journal Entry and Opinion Ohio Eighth Circuit Court of Appeals.pdf
(520.04 KiB) Downloaded 416 times

Mark Kindt

Postby Mark Kindt » Sun Feb 17, 2019 10:47 am

Key Document Clearly Establishes That City of Lakewood Owned Lakewood Hospital

In this memorandum, the law firm of Thompson Hine (outside legal counsel for the City of Lakewood) summarizes the existing contracts that the City had relating to Lakewood Hospital.

This memorandum clearly establishes that the City of Lakewood was leasing its hospital / hospital business and had unique and valuable ownership and contract rights related to its hospital.

This document was produced on February 8, 2019 (three years after the closure of the hospital) as a result of a court order from the Eighth Circuit Court of Appeals (Ohio).

It took two sets of public interest lawyers (including one former Ohio Attorney General) almost three years to secure multiple court orders against the City that finally forced the City to comply with Ohio public records laws that it intentionally disregarded and then continued to recklessly abrogate.

Please download and save this document. It is historic.
Attachments
T-H Memorandum to City 4-21-2015.pdf
(3.36 MiB) Downloaded 425 times

Stan Austin
Contributor

Postby Stan Austin » Sun Feb 17, 2019 2:26 pm

The document seems pretty straight forward. The highlighted sections are pertinent. But where are the cops? Exactly what or whom triggers the criminal or unfulfilled contract complaints? We all knew this was "bent" from day one but nothing happens.

Mark Kindt

Postby Mark Kindt » Tue Feb 09, 2021 10:01 am

One Year Into A National Pandemic

As it what was happening, most of us understood that closing Lakewood Hospital was a disaster in the making.

With the Covid-19 pandemic a year old or more and with virus variants rapidly spreading, now we know the true scale of that disaster -- epic imbecility across all of the participants.

Rather than drive by the immense hole in the ground that was once an award-winning acute care public hospital, just flip through the obituary pages--more pages each week.

Last summer, I told a councilman that I really admire that I didn't want to win my arguments on healthcare with my own obituary.

At the time that was said in levity, now I am not so sure.

Mark Kindt

Postby Mark Kindt » Fri Apr 16, 2021 10:27 am

Hospital Demolished -- Records Gone Too

This Online Document Archive is now the only publicly accessible set of documents that relate to the closure of Lakewood Hospital. It is only a partial archive.

This morning I searched the City of Lakewood Website for the May 2018 "90-Day-Connectivity Study". It is no longer posted.

I found 8 links to hospital-related documents out of tens of thousands previously posted.

I would encourage someone else to double-check this. If I am wrong, I will post a correction.

Mark Kindt

Postby Mark Kindt » Tue May 04, 2021 11:51 am

One More For The Files

2014.07.03.Summers-Donley.LTR-ProtestRehabMoveSelect.jpg
2014.07.03.Summers-Donley.LTR-ProtestRehabMoveSelect.jpg (474.53 KiB) Viewed 6826 times

Here is the PDF, also.

By this time both LHA and LHF were well on their way to "shit-canning" Lakewood Hospital behind the public's back.

See next post.
Attachments
2014.07.03.Summers-Donley.LTR-ProtestRehabMoveSelect.pdf
(40.01 KiB) Downloaded 175 times

Mark Kindt

Postby Mark Kindt » Tue May 04, 2021 12:21 pm

Here Are The Key Subsidium Slide Decks Related To Winding Down Lakewood Hospital

Remember that these same consultants also told the City that the community was receiving no material value for its hospital.

Subsidium Slides 1 of 2.pdf
(803.09 KiB) Downloaded 197 times

Subsidium Slides 2 of 2.pdf
(2.37 MiB) Downloaded 211 times

Return to “Lakewood General Discussions”