LO_14_08 Online On The Streets! New Series!

The jumping off discussion area for the rest of the Deck. All things Lakewood.
Please check out our other sections. As we refile many discussions from the past into
their proper sections please check them out and offer suggestions.

Moderators: Jim DeVito, Dan Alaimo

Jim O'Bryan

LO_14_08 Online On The Streets! New Series!

Postby Jim O'Bryan » Tue Apr 17, 2018 2:04 pm

“Leadership by deception isn’t leadership. It’s fraud.” - DaShanne Stokes

Download it here: http://media.lakewoodobserver.com/issue_pdfs/Observer_Vol_14_Issue_08.pdf

Another great issue, written by Lakewood residents and businesses, with their Observations of life in and around Lakewood!

This issue starts with a program I mentioned at the beginning of the year, "Guest Writer." So many people have asked about professional writers, and "real journalists" so as we aim to please and keep this community happy, we have opened our door, and in they come. We have a whole host of big names, and professional journalists who are ready to work, write and photograph alongside our residents in an effort to create the best Lakewood Observers of all time!

In the past we have had the benefit of some of the best in their fields, legal, non-profit, health, education, art etc., partnering with some of the finest photographers in the community, but this is the start of a new era for this project. With the crash and burn of so many professional journalism projects, and our upturn in backing from local advertisers, we are working to bring some of the best professionals and most recognizable names to the Lakewood Observer.

The first one is Erin O'Brien, who was recently the editor of Freshwater, and has written for decades for the Scene, FreeTimes, Cleveland Plain Dealer and now the Observer Media Project. Erin lived in Lakewood for nearly a decade and spends a lot of time here, as did her brother, John O'Brien, author of "Leaving Las Vegas." Both spent many days here and in her first of many pieces for the Lakewood Observer, Erin takes a look back at "Hidden Lakewood, The Gold Coast." It is a great read, and a great way to kick off a summer of fun and getting to know Lakewood better than ever. We also have a host of new residents lining up to showcase their work alongside Lakewood Observer regulars as this history making project continues to grow.

I would like to thank the editors, writers, photographers and of course advertisers who continue to turn out issue after issue of this project. We appreciate the support and the fact that everyone is doubling down in their dedication with every passing day, letter, phone call and discussion.

peace/love

Jim O'Bryan
Lakewood Resident

"The very act of observing disturbs the system."
Werner Heisenberg

"If anything I've said seems useful to you, I'm glad.
If not, don't worry. Just forget about it."
His Holiness The Dalai Lama
mjkuhns

Re: LO_14_08 Online On The Streets! New Series!

Postby mjkuhns » Tue Apr 17, 2018 2:34 pm

Jim O'Bryan wrote:With the crash and burn of so many professional journalism projects, and our upturn in backing from local advertisers, we are working to bring some of the best professionals and most recognizable names to the Lakewood Observer

This is great to see happening, and very well timed. Congratulations.

I encourage everyone to read "Hidden Lakewood: The Gold Coast." About a third of the way in, it turns delightfully spicy. Great fun.

:: matt kuhns ::
Dan OMalley

Postby Dan OMalley » Tue Apr 17, 2018 2:34 pm

Thank you for the fascinating piece on the Gold Coast. I suspect Ms. O'Brien could have filled several more pages with stories.

Dan O'Malley
Michael Deneen

Postby Michael Deneen » Tue Apr 17, 2018 4:40 pm

Here we go again...... the Observer gives away free print space to racist liar Tom Bullock and his double-dipping budd Martin Sweeney.
Sweeney even gets the front page.

The Observer continues to aid and abet the very people who are trying to put it out of existence. Frankly, it's embarrassing.

Jim O'Bryan

Postby Jim O'Bryan » Tue Apr 17, 2018 5:36 pm

Michael Deneen wrote:Here we go again...... the Observer gives away free print space to racist liar Tom Bullock and his double-dipping budd Martin Sweeney.
Sweeney even gets the front page.

The Observer continues to aid and abet the very people who are trying to put it out of existence. Frankly, it's embarrassing.

Mike

What is embarrassing is you on this rant every time something happens with the paper you do not like.

First off I am not the editor, but we have a written policy for 14 years about how we handle election things. Simply because you do not agree with them, or that they are trying to put us out of business does not stop it from going in. We are stronger than that. We are smarter than that.

Jim O'Bryan
Lakewood Resident

Werner Heisenberg

Michael Deneen

Postby Michael Deneen » Tue Apr 17, 2018 5:53 pm

Jim O'Bryan wrote:MikeWhat is embarrassing is you on this rant every time something happens with the paper you do not like.

I am not ashamed of standing up against the blatant racism and corruption of Tom Bullock and his pals.
This is not about giving "both sides of a story".
This is about the fundamental difference of honesty vs. corruption, facts vs. lies, and tolerance vs. bigotry.

Jim O'Bryan

Postby Jim O'Bryan » Tue Apr 17, 2018 6:24 pm

Michael Deneen wrote:
Jim O'Bryan wrote:MikeWhat is embarrassing is you on this rant every time something happens with the paper you do not like.

I am not ashamed of standing up against the blatant racism and corruption of Tom Bullock and his pals.
This is not about giving "both sides of a story".
This is about the fundamental difference of honesty vs. corruption, facts vs. lies, and tolerance vs. bigotry.

Mike

This is really embarrassing you of all people should know, write the story.

When have you been denied space in the LO print edition?

Never

Far easier to write a couple nasty nasty lines on the Deck about an editor, who might have a different view of things than you and me.

I back the LO Rules, I back my editors and advertisers, and I back my writers. I do not make any decisions based on my wishes. NONE.

The way I see it you could have change this paper 3 different ways. 1) Write a story, seniority would have gotten it in. 2) Write a full page of school sports, that might have kept the stories out, based on space and promises. 3) Become and editor and lobbied with the other editors for what goes in the paper.

The least effective way to do it, is to whine to me after the paper is printed, I am not really part of the process.

What is embarrassing I have told you this many times.

Jim O'Bryan
Lakewood Resident

Werner Heisenberg

Return to “Lakewood General Discussions”