Do Not Use Lakewood's Emergency Room

The jumping off discussion area for the rest of the Deck. All things Lakewood.
Please check out our other sections. As we refile many discussions from the past into
their proper sections please check them out and offer suggestions.

Moderators: Jim DeVito, Dan Alaimo

Dan Alaimo

Re: Do Not Use Lakewood's Emergency Room

Postby Dan Alaimo » Sat Apr 21, 2018 12:09 am

pj bennett wrote:
That's why I insist that, regardless of one's view of how this emergency room came about, and one's thoughts and opinions, the information about what it can and can't do needs to be made public.

I totally agree. The public needs to know.

Perhaps you should speak at the next city council meeting. This way, your concern will be on record. Also, try contacting someone on city council.

In speaking with others, I am surprised at the number of people, who still think that the current 'emergency' facility provides full-service, life-saving techniques. It does not. It will, however, try to stabilize the patient, and then arrange transport to a hospital.

Besides that I don't like meetings, I don't think city government wants to or can do much to clarify what the emergency room can do. Many of them have a very clear position on the Cleveland Clinic and I don't want to say what that position looks like. It's certainly not in the Clinic's interest to provide that information, and anyone who works for the Clinic shouldn't say anything about it. It doesn't hurt the clinic if people waste time going to the Lakewood Emergency Room and end up taking two ambulance rides. What I'd like to see is someone from the community talk about it. I'm sure that qualified people exist out there.

“Never let a good crisis go to waste." - Winston Churchill (Quote later appropriated by Rahm Emanuel)
Bill Call

Postby Bill Call » Wed May 23, 2018 6:44 am

Since the new stand alone emergency room will soon be open for business I thought I would remind people that a stand alone emergency room offers minute clinic services at emergency room prices.

University Hospital recognizes that fact. That is why their stand alone emergency rooms also have an attached urgent care clinic.

Did any of the people involved In the infamous "brain storming" sessions consider that option?

Free standing emergency rooms drive up costs:

http://healthcare.dmagazine.com/2016/05 ... -up-costs/

What affect will changes in Medicare reimbursement to stand alone emergency room treatment have on the viability of the new stand alone emergency room? Those changes could reduce ALL insurance payments to stand alone ER's by $350 per visit.

How much will it cost the Clinic to absorb that cost? $350 doesn't sound like much but it adds up. Lakewood Hospital had about 38,000 ER visits each year. That's and additional cost of $13,300,000 per year in costs.

If the Clinic passes on those costs to the patient and the new ER has 10,000 visitors each year then Lakewood residents are stuck with an additional $3.5 million in medical costs.

Can the new Foundation pay those additional costs?

Bill Call

Postby Bill Call » Fri Jun 29, 2018 7:34 am

The Clinics new office building in Lakewood contains a stand alone emergency room.

Stand alone emergency rooms are minute clinics with emergency room prices. University Hospital recognizes this truth and has urgent care centers next to their stand alone emergency rooms.

I hope the Clinic eventually recognizes that fact as well.

If you are experiencing an emergency call 911 and ask to be taken to an emergency room attached to a hospital.

Return to “Lakewood General Discussions”