Student speech against gun violence

The jumping off discussion area for the rest of the Deck. All things Lakewood.
Please check out our other sections. As we refile many discussions from the past into
their proper sections please check them out and offer suggestions.

Moderators: Jim DeVito, Dan Alaimo

Dan Alaimo

Student speech against gun violence

Postby Dan Alaimo » Sun Feb 18, 2018 3:44 pm

This has gone way viral, but it has a place here. It happened in Florida, but it has real local relevance.
Powerful stuff. https://youtu.be/JMxG0reODQY (I have trouble making these embeds work.)
[youtube]https://youtu.be/JMxG0reODQY[/youtube]

“Never let a good crisis go to waste." - Winston Churchill (Quote later appropriated by Rahm Emanuel)
james fitzgibbons

Re: Student speech against gun violence

Postby james fitzgibbons » Mon Feb 19, 2018 3:33 pm

Thanks for that Dan. Thank God for that girls voice. Very Emotional.

We need to ban assault rifle sales, and enact more restrictions about obtaining guns.
We also need to ban Trump and other politicians who take money from the NRA.

Everything she expressed is true. I am so proud of her.

Will any politicians do anything to stop the killing of our school children? Not likely.

Trump is such a dolt. He thinks only about himself. I wish he would prove me wrong.

Dan Alaimo

Postby Dan Alaimo » Mon Feb 19, 2018 4:29 pm

james fitzgibbons wrote:Thanks for that Dan. Thank God for that girls voice. Very Emotional.

We need to ban assault rifle sales, and enact more restrictions about obtaining guns.
We also need to ban Trump and other politicians who take money from the NRA.

Everything she expressed is true. I am so proud of her.

Will any politicians do anything to stop the killing of our school children? Not likely.

Trump is such a dolt. He thinks only about himself. I wish he would prove me wrong.

Emotional, yes, but in a good, very powerful way. Not the dismissive way our local leaders throw the word around.

She spoke truth to power - and more effectively than many so-called adults.

Unfortunately, it's now very obvious: it can happen here. And what Emma Gonzalez said applies in Lakewood OH as much as in Parkland FL. Let's see some appropriate governmental action before it does.

“Never let a good crisis go to waste." - Winston Churchill (Quote later appropriated by Rahm Emanuel)
Stan Austin
Contributor

Postby Stan Austin » Mon Feb 19, 2018 5:25 pm

compare the high school students' studied expressions to the so- called president's childish tweets

Richard Baker

Postby Richard Baker » Tue Feb 20, 2018 11:05 am

It's obvious that schools have failed to teach their students the reason for each of the Amendments in the Constitution that we learned in fifth grade civics in 1950s. The Constitution grants US citizens individual rights that protect them from the government and the qualms of society. There is also a process of changing the Constitution without Congress passing unconstitutional laws, look it up. The Second Amendment was included to ensure the government did not remove our individual rights to protect us from enemies both foreign and domestic.

The definition of an assault weapon [what the military uses] is any weapon that can fire automatically when the trigger is pulled and keeps firing until the trigger is released. If you have served in the military and fired automatic weapons you would know the difference. Contrary to widespread ignorance promoted by the media, the definition of assault weapon has nothing to do with its appearance. Cruz did not use an assault weapon because it was a semi-automatic rifle and he had to pull the trigger each time to fire the weapon.

Why did 17 people lose their lives? The FBI fumbled again like they have in other mass killings, the Sheriff did not file charges against Cruz during the 30 calls for domestic violence when he was living with his mother and the School District did nothing to report his violence to the police. All three government agencies failed to protect the students by addressing the warning signs and violence behavior from an evil violent teenager and they should be held accountable

Amy Martin

Postby Amy Martin » Tue Feb 20, 2018 11:46 am

the standard excuse - BLAME ANYONE BUT NOT THE GUN!

I heard something earlier on TV - a commentator said something like:

If people kill people and not guns, then why don't we just send out soldiers to fight without weapons?

Brian Essi

Postby Brian Essi » Wed Feb 21, 2018 9:56 am

Amy Martin wrote:the standard excuse - BLAME ANYONE BUT NOT THE GUN!

I heard something earlier on TV - a commentator said something like:

If people kill people and not guns, then why don't we just send out soldiers to fight without weapons?

Ms. Martin,

I agree something should be done.

According to Robert Mueller and a good chunk of the US media, there is a raging "war" that threatens our democracy---and its being fought without guns.

In fact, according to the NYT, a Russian bot "ARMY" is fighting along side the students in latest chapter of the gun control debate.

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/02/19/tech ... oting.html

It troubles me that the Russians are trying to take advantage of our children and a grief stricken community.

If we make a crazy assumption that there are 300M guns in the US and about 10K murders each year, and that a separate gun killed each victim then, .00003333 of the guns were to involved the murders. Does that mean that 99.9996667 of the guns out there are "innocent" guns? I assume that in all 10K murders, there was at least on person pulling the trigger and the 10,000 guns didn't act alone. What makes those 10,000 gun owners different than the other?

As an owner of 30+ guns that have never killed anyone, I am all in for reasonable gun control.

However if and when gun law changes ever happens, how do we insure that the other 299,900,010 existing guns out there don't become involved in murders?

Absent from the gun control debate, is the "people control" debate.

We are living in a society where people don't take care of people anymore, and people don't value people anymore.

And this "people problem" seems to me to be an even bigger problem than the number of guns already existing in our society and those yet to be manufactured and sold.

David Anderson has no legitimate answers
Amy Martin

Postby Amy Martin » Wed Feb 21, 2018 11:42 am

I believe a common-sense approach is best, so let's treat guns like cars . . .

You must have a license to own a gun
In order to get that license, you must take a class and pass a written and actual shooting range class
Once you pass the tests and get your license, you must register all of your guns
Every gun that you own and register will be taxed via a registration fee yearly in order to keep your registration active
You must "gun insurance" to cover any and all liability associated with said gun ownership
You are personally liable for any damage cause by your gun whether or not you actually shot it yourself

Can't we start somewhere rather than bemoan "what about all of the guns that are already out there?" This is a common NRA-led excuse.

Stan Austin
Contributor

Postby Stan Austin » Wed Feb 21, 2018 12:45 pm

I'm watching these "kids" right now speaking in Tallahassee, FL the State's capital. Damn---- they are impressive. I put kids into quotes because age-wise they might be but in maturity and intellectual rigor-- the best of the best.

Bridget Conant

Postby Bridget Conant » Wed Feb 21, 2018 12:57 pm

Stan

They are making me proud!

Meanwhile, Lakewood High students are walking out and the school is marking them as “unexcused absence” so they won’t be allowed to mske up their work from today.

Jim O'Bryan

Postby Jim O'Bryan » Wed Feb 21, 2018 1:53 pm

Bridget Conant wrote:Stan

They are making me proud!

Meanwhile, Lakewood High students are walking out and the school is marking them as “unexcused absence” so they won’t be allowed to mske up their work from today.

Bridget

We posted photos and videos in another thread...

Photos and videos of the Protest http://lakewoodobserver.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=24604

Also I spoke with administrators and what you posted is not accurate. They support the protest and as long as students did not leave the campus they will not face any penalty or loss of testing, grades, etc. IF THEY RETURNED TO CLASSES, and their parents notified the administrators.

Jim O'Bryan
Lakewood Resident

"The very act of observing disturbs the system."
Werner Heisenberg

"If anything I've said seems useful to you, I'm glad.
If not, don't worry. Just forget about it."
His Holiness The Dalai Lama
Mark Crnolatas

Postby Mark Crnolatas » Mon Mar 05, 2018 10:45 pm

The count of views of this thread is 666. This post makes it 667. Ahh, I feel better already. :wink:

Mark Allan Crnolatas Sr.
In God We Trust

Return to “Lakewood General Discussions”