Historical or Hysterical?

The jumping off discussion area for the rest of the Deck. All things Lakewood.
Please check out our other sections. As we refile many discussions from the past into
their proper sections please check them out and offer suggestions.

Moderators: Jim DeVito, Dan Alaimo

Jim O'Bryan

Historical or Hysterical?

Postby Jim O'Bryan » Sat Feb 17, 2018 9:39 am

In a community that has torn down historical home after historical home, historical building after historical building declaring this late 1950s single floor, flat roof structure historical, and thus saving it from a wrecking ball or other use, historical or hysterical?

Stay tuned, more to come on this latest scheme.

Jim O'Bryan
Lakewood Resident

"The very act of observing disturbs the system."
Werner Heisenberg

"If anything I've said seems useful to you, I'm glad.
If not, don't worry. Just forget about it."
His Holiness The Dalai Lama
Jim O'Bryan

Re: Historical or Hysterical?

Postby Jim O'Bryan » Sat Feb 17, 2018 10:56 am

Michael Loje wrote:Some of us don't know the story here. What is it?

Michael

Right now that is the story. Seems simple enough at this point.

Is this building worthy of Historical Designation? It is being PUSHED through the process.

At this point that is the story, as the "story" develops it could be worth talking about.

Jim O'Bryan
Lakewood Resident

Werner Heisenberg

T Peppard

Postby T Peppard » Sat Feb 17, 2018 1:11 pm

Why isn’t our hospital designated as a historical landmark?

This is a joke if this building is being pushed through the process.

Jim O'Bryan

Postby Jim O'Bryan » Sun Feb 18, 2018 9:51 am

T Peppard wrote:Why isn’t our hospital designated as a historical landmark?

This is a joke if this building is being pushed through the process.

It appears the signs are down, has phase two of the latest 3-Card Monte already begun?

How many people can make money from the sale of a building that couldn't be given away?

Anyone want to guess the names of the players?

New people? Or same old same old?

3-card-monte is easy, just find the Queen. But then it is also one of the oldest street hustles in the world.

Feeling lucky?

Jim O'Bryan
Lakewood Resident

Werner Heisenberg

Richard Baker

Postby Richard Baker » Sun Feb 18, 2018 7:46 pm

Lets not be so negative, you have to admitted the building somewhat blends in with the stacked container storage townhouses on the west side. It also has more redeeming features that the townhouses don't have; a curved surface, real brick facade instead of plastic laminate materials and more green space combined than the two latest townhouse developments. I'm beginning to wonder if the planning department, architectural review board and city council members are legally blind.

Valerie Molinski

Postby Valerie Molinski » Mon Feb 19, 2018 9:04 am

I have been eyeing this building but I didn't have a reason to buy. Glad someone is. I also love the Educator's music building. Same era. It is also pretty fab.

It takes a LOT to get something on the national historic register versus something that is deemed 'historic' based on local history. Just because a pile of bricks or sticks are old and were built before 1900 doesn't make a building have any historical value- it's usually either by construction methods, significant or rare building type, a district that is a representation of a specific style or notable event or persons that may have occupied the building.

I would also argue that just because 50's/60's buildings are not considered 'old,' doesn't mean it isn't worth saving, however. I am tired of this argument, as there are a LOT of 50s/60s being devalued or being pulled down that are fantastic and really great examples of their times. It's just that they feel more familiar to us because they aren't as old.

But we are now talking 70 year old buildings... which is about right, to start figuring out if they are worth saving and why. In my opinion, people that argue they aren't worthy because they aren't 'Victorian looking' or from the 1800's are just ill-informed.

Jim O'Bryan

Postby Jim O'Bryan » Mon Feb 19, 2018 10:24 am

Valerie Molinski wrote:I have been eyeing this building but I didn't have a reason to buy. Glad someone is. I also love the Educator's music building. Same era. It is also pretty fab.

But we are now talking 70 year old buildings... which is about right, to start figuring out if they are worth saving and why. In my opinion, people that argue they aren't worthy because they aren't 'Victorian looking' or from the 1800's are just ill-informed.

Valerie

Well call me ill-informed, though I was basing my thoughts on many things not because it doesn't look like it was built in the 1800s. But if you choose to stand near someone painting with a very broad brush, one should expect to get a little of the paint on themselves.

I was thinking more of the many "old and very historic buildings" left to fall to the wrecking ball, and the magic tricks going on behind the scenes of this one. "Fab" short for "Fabulous" hmmmmmm beauty is in the eye of the beholder, and very few flat roof structures do I find "fab," but variety is the spice of life. Any idea what the Historical Society is doing with the Curtis Block, after fighting for it, it seems lost in the shuffle to declare yet another "fab" structure historical.

It would be nice to see some rhyme or reason for this hit and miss madness, but then, that would not be the Lakewood Way, when you can bring so much more into an equation of use, misuse, and other mischief into a decision.

Jim O'Bryan
Lakewood Resident

Werner Heisenberg

Valerie Molinski

Postby Valerie Molinski » Mon Feb 19, 2018 11:25 am

Jim O'Bryan wrote:
Valerie Molinski wrote:I have been eyeing this building but I didn't have a reason to buy. Glad someone is. I also love the Educator's music building. Same era. It is also pretty fab.

Valerie

Well call me ill-informed, though I was basing my thoughts on many things not because it doesn't look like it was built in the 1800s. But if you choose to stand near someone painting with a very broad brush, one should expect to get a little of the paint on themselves.

Any idea what the Historical Society is doing with the Curtis Block, after fighting for it, it seems lost in the shuffle to declare yet another "fab" structure historical.

So be it- I'm Jackson Pollock then. Even extremely significant buildings of that era (50's/60s) a have been lost because of, as I mentioned, familiarity or lack of appreciation for the architecture. I find it incredibly frustrating. And some have been preserved not because of their perceived aesthetic value- but perhaps because of other considerations. Some 'brutalist' buildings in this very own region come to mind.

I have seen/heard this for years and I have not always seen eye to eye on things that people freak out over to 'save' for which there is no discernable reason, other than 'it's old.' Old does not equal historic. There is room for change and progress. I live in an 1890's Victorian and while I feel that I am a caretaker of it, the plaster on the walls or the knob and tube are not sacred parts of it, for example, simply because it is old or 'original.'

Last I heard the Curtis block was being rehabbed by the building owners. Historical Society doesn't own it.

Jim O'Bryan

Postby Jim O'Bryan » Tue Feb 20, 2018 9:01 am

Valerie

I will get back to your comment in a moment.

But two things
1) IT is my understanding the only reason they need to move is that the city was negligent in their up keep of the Oldest Stone House, which they are bound to through a contract.

2) The City of Lakewood, well more to the point Mayor Summers promised the Historical Society to rebuild the skate house, adding a second floor tinted windows and air conditioning, to rebuilding the building. At one point when the Mayor while he was shilling and stumping for votes to close the hospital he had made overtures on a refreshment area for the skate park and vintage baseball and area for the children of Lakewood to come and learn about Lakewood's grand and glorious history.

But alas, so many promises broken, now that the hospital deal was done.

Back after Clinic opening at Lakewood High.

Jim O'Bryan
Lakewood Resident

Werner Heisenberg

Valerie Molinski

Postby Valerie Molinski » Tue Feb 20, 2018 9:57 am

Jim O'Bryan wrote:Valerie

But two things
1) IT is my understanding the only reason they need to move is that the city was negligent in their up keep of the Oldest Stone House, which they are bound to through a contract.

2) The City of Lakewood, well more to the point Mayor Summers promised the Historical Society to rebuild the skate house, adding a second floor tinted windows and air conditioning, to rebuilding the building. At one point when the Mayor while he was shilling and stumping for votes to close the hospital he had made overtures on a refreshment area for the skate park and vintage baseball and area for the children of Lakewood to come and learn about Lakewood's grand and glorious history.

But alas, so many promises broken, now that the hospital deal was done.

Back after Clinic opening at Lakewood High.

Who is moving? Based on the Old Stone Church comment, I assuming you are referring to Lakewood Historical Society? When I was on the board a few years ago, the staff offices were shoe horned into the basement and it was not ideal. They were taking up valuable storage and/or display space and was never meant to be a permanent solution. And if I remember correctly, the upkeep of the Old Stone House and Nicholson House was the responsibility of LHS via their own operating budget as well as city funds earmarked for both properties. The city is not involved in those properties beyond that, if I remember correctly. They operate fairly independently. So, I don't think your understanding is completely correct.

I believe that I left the board around the time the skate house discussions were starting, but I remember discussions of it getting assessed. Based on my background in architecture with a dabble in preservation, the skate house as it stands needs a ton of work and likely wasn't worth saving. I don't remember hearing about a second floor and tinted windows either... but using the skate house as is and trying to add all of those things to it? That would be a tall order. I'd be all for a new structure and a better master plan for that area if the city and LHS has the money for it.

Valerie Molinski

Postby Valerie Molinski » Tue Feb 20, 2018 10:03 am

Jim O'Bryan wrote:Valerie

But two things

The original conversation was about if you felt the property in the original post was worthy of being saved or even being on a preservation list. I do not know the history of the building, but I appreciate its design and aesthetic, so I took issue with your dismissal of its worthiness. However, I do think you are muddying the waters here with your last comment.

But if you are saying that The Historical Society is the one buying this property and trying to get it on the registry, I guess my next question is... so? Why do you care? Why are you denigrating them for wanting to do that? How does this affect your life in any way and why are you so outraged about it?

I also want to add that ANYONE who buys an older property can apply for Historic Tax credits to rehab a building. The owners of the Veronika building on Madison Ave. applied for and received monies (both from Ohio and federal) for their project. http://lakewoodobserver.com/read/2016/0 ... n-lakewood
The tax credits are through the state of Ohio and are NOT a register of protected properties. Are you confusing the two?

Jim O'Bryan

Postby Jim O'Bryan » Tue Feb 20, 2018 10:37 am

Valerie Molinski wrote:The original conversation was about if you felt the property in the original post was worthy of being saved or even being on a preservation list. I do not know the history of the building, but I appreciate its design and aesthetic, so I took issue with your dismissal of its worthiness. However, I do think you are muddying the waters here with your last comment.

But if you are saying that The Historical Society is the one buying this property and trying to get it on the registry, I guess my next question is... so? Why do you care? Why are you denigrating them for wanting to do that? How does this affect your life in any way and why are you so outraged about it?

I also want to add that ANYONE who buys an older property can apply for Historic Tax credits to rehab a building. The owners of the Veronika building on Madison Ave. applied for and received monies (both from Ohio and federal) for their project. http://lakewoodobserver.com/read/2016/0 ... n-lakewood
The tax credits are through the state of Ohio and are NOT a register of protected properties. Are you confusing the two?

Valerie

I never said the Historical Society was buying it. You are putting a cart before a horse, no one ever said they were buying it.

Also the other parts matter, because if the city had upheld their commitments, this never would have entered the picture, in anyway shape or form.

The need arose as properties that were to be kept up and rehab, and even projects pimped to historical members in an effort to BUY votes, we cast to the wayside, it all matters. In any magic trick, and/or three card monte, never tack your eyes off of wither hand.

OR YOU WILL LOSE, again, and again, and again, and again, and again, and again.

Jim O'Bryan
Lakewood Resident

Werner Heisenberg

Return to “Lakewood General Discussions”