It's Fish Fry Season Again!!

The jumping off discussion area for the rest of the Deck. All things Lakewood.
Please check out our other sections. As we refile many discussions from the past into
their proper sections please check them out and offer suggestions.

Moderators: Jim DeVito, Dan Alaimo

Gary Rice

It's Fish Fry Season Again!!

Postby Gary Rice » Sun Feb 11, 2018 9:43 am

Good Friends in Lakewood Land,

Well, it's that time again. A number of our local institutions are once again planning those Lenten fish fry events, and as Ash Wednesday is right around the corner, so too come the ubiquitous fish fry Fridays. :D

As in the past, here on the 'Deck, I am announcing the Lakewood Masonic Temple's fish fry. I plan to be there as well with some friends, perhaps even with a little banjo pickin'... :D

If I recall correctly, the times for the weekly Lakewood Temple Friday fish fry events during Lent start at about 4:30 p.m. and go to around 7:30 p.m.. The historic Lakewood Masonic Temple is located at 15300 Detroit Ave. at Andrews. Entrance is around back at the Andrews door, with plenty of parking in their own lot. Normally, they have a pretty good selection of food too, and tours of that magnificent building should also be available.

Any other fish fry announcements? 8)

Back to the banjo. :D

Michael Deneen

Re: It's Fish Fry Season Again!!

Postby Michael Deneen » Sun Feb 11, 2018 12:53 pm

Let's not forget the good folks at St. James Catholic Church on Detroit.
Good selection of items, and the money goes to help the "resurrected" parish

Jim O'Bryan

Postby Jim O'Bryan » Mon Feb 12, 2018 10:09 am

and

There used to be at least 5 of these in town, with dwindling churches and parishes, we are down to two, maybe three if St. James does it again.

Jim O'Bryan
Lakewood Resident

"The very act of observing disturbs the system."
Werner Heisenberg

"If anything I've said seems useful to you, I'm glad.
If not, don't worry. Just forget about it."
His Holiness The Dalai Lama
Gary Rice

Postby Gary Rice » Fri Feb 16, 2018 12:38 pm

Just a bump here....

For those of you who believe that there's something REALLY fishy going on in this town, and at the Lakewood Masonic Temple particularly? You would be absolutely correct! :D

Tonight's the first fish fry fundraiser of the Lenten season there, starting at 4:30 and going 'till about 7:30. :D

Why not come down and enjoy some good fish, and perhaps take a tour of our historic old Masonic Temple? 8)

My friends and I will be on hand with a bit of music for your pleasure, as well. :D

Hoping to see you there! :D

Back to the banjo. :D

Matthew Lee

Postby Matthew Lee » Fri Feb 16, 2018 2:26 pm

I hope everyone enjoys the fish fry of their choice. Unfortunately, to me, there are not too many smells worse than a fish fry. But, definitely enjoy and have a thoughtful Lenten season.

Jim O'Bryan

Postby Jim O'Bryan » Fri Feb 16, 2018 6:38 pm

St. James finally gets in the game!

Jim O'Bryan
Lakewood Resident

"The very act of observing disturbs the system."
Werner Heisenberg

"If anything I've said seems useful to you, I'm glad.
If not, don't worry. Just forget about it."
His Holiness The Dalai Lama
mjkuhns

Postby mjkuhns » Fri Feb 16, 2018 6:53 pm

Speaking of St. James, I feel like asking for local opinions on something.

Their menu features baked fish (and fried shrimp, so still maybe not any better for Mr. Lee).

Is this locally regarded as a proper fish fry?

I didn't really grow up with the fish fry tradition, so I can't really say, though I've discussed this with a Catholic friend from St. Louis and his reaction was something like "??!"

Opinions?

:: matt kuhns ::
Bridget Conant

Postby Bridget Conant » Fri Feb 16, 2018 11:14 pm

I’d say a traditional fish fry consists of fried fish. But today, with so much interest in “healthy” eating, baked fish is often offered as an alternative. Not so much in years gone by.

cmager

Postby cmager » Sat Feb 17, 2018 12:51 pm

mjkuhns wrote:Speaking of St. James, I feel like asking for local opinions on something.
Their menu features baked fish (and fried shrimp, so still maybe not any better for Mr. Lee).

Is this locally regarded as a proper fish fry? I didn't really grow up with the fish fry tradition, so I can't really say, though I've discussed this with a Catholic friend from St. Louis and his reaction was something like "??!" Opinions?

So it's a Fish Bake! Frying is certainly the norm, but I'll bet the St. James kitchen has ovens and no fryers. Sounds like a nice, more health-conscious option, though.

Gary Rice

Postby Gary Rice » Fri Mar 16, 2018 10:54 am

Just bumping this up to the top again...

Whether supporting Lakewood's Masonic Temple, (where I'll be with the banjo tonight) or supporting our fine neighborhood churches, why not come out and help support any of these local institutions with your presence, while munching down some awesome fish?

We'll be doing some music at the Temple tonight again, and also providing tours of that amazing historic building at your request. View and learn about some fascinating and mysterious symbolism STILL visible in Lakewood Temple's century old Lodge room. See the original wire hangers under those old seats where those beaver skin top hats were kept. Stand at the very spot where Air Corps General Curtis E. LeMay once stood when he received his Masonic degree in WWII. View the magnificent marble grand entrance staircase where once, hundreds of Masonic Knights Templars processed. Speculate on the possible connections of Masonic Templary with the original Knights Templars of old. Learn about the state-of-the-art Templar Superfine Car that was designed and built right here in Lakewood! Was that too connected to the Masons?

Here's a link to an article about how some of this comes together that I wrote awhile back for the LO:

http://lakewoodobserver.com/read/2009/0 ... ument-look

Finally, will Gary REALLY be wearing his iconic all-seeing-eye triangle Lakewood Observer sweatshirt tonight? :shock:

There is much to discover on Fish Fry night in Lakewood. :shock:

Back to the banjo... :wink:

Gary Rice

Postby Gary Rice » Fri Mar 23, 2018 1:59 pm

Just gotta keep "carping" about our fish fry season here, :lol: by reminding you to come down while you can to Lakewood's Fish Fry offerings. In particular, I'll be at Lakewood Masonic Temple again tonight, offering tours and music for those interested. :D

Their fish fry will be held this evening and next Friday, but likely no music next week. :shock:

Just fish, chowder, mac and cheese, pierogi, and desserts while they last. 4:30- 7:30 ish. :D

Sorry, no carp in the offering down there either, and no carp whatsoever have been harmed, (to my knowledge) by our fish fry. :roll:

As much as Lakewood seems to love conspiracy theories, why not come on down to the mysterious Lakewood Masonic Temple and partake of some good food and fellowship, while enjoying a visit to one of our city's historic structures? :D

You can carp all you'd like there, too... :lol:

Park in rear, no steps, enter Andrews door, lower level banquet room, and thanks to all who have already come and made this event a success! :D

Back to the banjo... :D

Gary Rice

Postby Gary Rice » Fri Mar 30, 2018 2:53 pm

Howdy All,

Bumping time... :D

This will be the last time this season to come and enjoy fish at Lakewood's Historic Masonic Temple TONIGHT(15300 Detroit Ave at Andrews) from 4:30-7:30 ish.

Looking forward to seeing good friends, old and new. Rear Andrews entrance. :wink:

Back to the banjo... :D

Return to “Lakewood General Discussions”