Lakewood Voters No Longer Needed

The jumping off discussion area for the rest of the Deck. All things Lakewood.
Please check out our other sections. As we refile many discussions from the past into
their proper sections please check them out and offer suggestions.

Moderators: Jim DeVito, Dan Alaimo

Brian Essi

Re: Lakewood Voters No Longer Needed

Postby Brian Essi » Sat Feb 10, 2018 10:02 am

james fitzgibbons wrote:What are they Brian?

They are in the growing local and national party of "Hypocrats"!

David Anderson has no legitimate answers
Mark Kindt

Postby Mark Kindt » Sat Feb 10, 2018 11:48 am

Ms. McCarthy -- Yes, I acknowledge that Mr. Essi is a Republican. I acknowledge the fine work of Mr. Call, but I do not actually know his party affiliation. As I have written previously, the critique of the city administration is non-partisan and broadly citizen-based. Mr. Essi, Mr. Call, and many others (yourself included) have been essential to this critique.

Mr. Kuhns -- As always, I appreciate your thoughtful commentary and analysis. I am aware of all of the historical points that you make with respect to the history of the Democratic Party.

My "small editorial" was focused on what I have experienced with the Ohio Democratic Party from the time that I stood in a crowd as a 7-year old boy with my grandfather listening to John F. Kennedy campaign in 1960 to hearing my father celebrate his meeting with Senator Barrack Obama in 2006. These are bookends to a life (mine) spent in government, law, and study of American political history.

All I am asking is that we judge local elected officials on both their successes and their failures, irrespective of political affiliation.

For Ms. Marx, Mayor Summers, and Council-member Bullock their recent public policy failures speak volumes with respect to their political ideals and their commitment to the needs of ordinary folks.

That sentence is not a compliment to them, but a rebuke.

If they and the rest of the 2015 city council did not have the moral courage and political wisdom to fight to save an invaluable community hospital, how can we rely upon them to fight for anything of importance that many of us old Democrats need --- like, for instance, healthcare.

I do respect the fact that each of them chose to run for public office and serve as elected officials, however, I am disappointed in the outcomes achieved. The path to those outcomes and the mentality associated with those outcomes would have many elder Democrats, many now deceased, simply rolling in their graves.

Maybe Ms. Marx, Mayor Summers, and Council-member Bullock have done great and incredible things for Lakewood.

Me? I only see the bulldozers rumbling to demolish valued civic infrastructure built by generations of Lakewood citizens.
Last edited by Mark Kindt on Sat Feb 10, 2018 12:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mjkuhns

Postby mjkuhns » Sat Feb 10, 2018 11:56 am

Mark Kindt wrote:Mr. Kuhns -- As always, I appreciate your thoughtful commentary and analysis. I am aware of all of the historical points that you make with respect to the history of the Democratic Party.

Had every expectation that you would be. (Whereas I had to stop and think about it before I even realized who "James Earl Carter" is… a good test of who's paying attention, that one!)

:: matt kuhns ::
m buckley

Postby m buckley » Sat Feb 10, 2018 2:56 pm

Kate McCarthy wrote:
Brian Essi wrote:The expression on Marx’ face is priceless!

The expression of someone who has sold her soul.

A great post. You nailed it.
Worthy of a bump.

" City Council is a 7-member communications army." Colin McEwen December 10, 2015.
Kate McCarthy

Postby Kate McCarthy » Sat Feb 10, 2018 4:34 pm

Mark Kindt wrote:Ms. McCarthy -- Yes, I acknowledge that Mr. Essi is a Republican. I acknowledge the fine work of Mr. Call, but I do not actually know his party affiliation. As I have written previously, the critique of the city administration is non-partisan and broadly citizen-based. Mr. Essi, Mr. Call, and many others (yourself included) have been essential to this critique.

I have no idea what this is in reference to.

Mark Kindt

Postby Mark Kindt » Sat Feb 10, 2018 4:39 pm

I value each contributor to the Deck and, if I have misstated your opinions (or involvement) with regard to local government issues, I withdraw the reference. Unfortunately, the format of the Deck does not permit me to edit that specific text now.

Hope this is sufficient clarification.

Looking back, I now realize my mistake. I meant to direct my reference to M. Buckley's post.

Old eyes get tired in the digital realm...
Last edited by Mark Kindt on Sat Feb 10, 2018 4:52 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Dan Alaimo

Postby Dan Alaimo » Sat Feb 10, 2018 4:41 pm

I think Mike Deneen pointed out that one of the problems with our local government is the lack of Republicans. I may disagree with them on various issues, but I agree that we need them. Single party dominance never seems to work out.

We certainly can do without the Hypocrats at all levels of government.

“Never let a good crisis go to waste." - Winston Churchill (Quote later appropriated by Rahm Emanuel)
Kate McCarthy

Postby Kate McCarthy » Sat Feb 10, 2018 5:46 pm

Mark Kindt wrote:I value each contributor to the Deck and, if I have misstated your opinions (or involvement) with regard to local government issues, I withdraw the reference. Unfortunately, the format of the Deck does not permit me to edit that specific text now.

Hope this is sufficient clarification.

Looking back, I now realize my mistake. I meant to direct my reference to M. Buckley's post.

Old eyes get tired in the digital realm...

No problem, I thought I missed something.

But slightly related, I am terrible at bringing information from various threads together, especially when a topic also contains indisputable, first hand documentation as posted by Brian Essi earlier in this thread. I have encountered people on social media outside of Lakewood that actually still believe Bullock is a progressive candidate and would love to direct them to what I think of as Bullock's greatest hits...first hand evidence of his duplicity. The document here shows an alignment with Martin Sweeney, a document people who are up in arms about the county dems endorsing Sweeney over Antonio need to see. I try to point out Sweeney and Bullock are one in the same, but they seem to feel the Bullock endorsement over Skindell is not as problematic.

The best hope for Lakewood is Bullock doesn't move on to another office and gets voted out of council in his next bid.

Dan Alaimo

Postby Dan Alaimo » Sat Feb 10, 2018 6:46 pm

Could someone here fill in the gaps in the csndidate's CV? They go back to before the beginning. For instance, I recall one of the attempts to develop Kauffman Park during his first campaign and how he took the political expediency of opposing it, then shortly after he was elected he flip-flopped. I recall how he was the council member to first back the leashed dogs in the parks initiative, but his incompetency was the main reason this relatively simple matter took a year and a half. Then there was a matter where he was reprimanded by council for comments about Nickie Antonio (I can't find the details, but I know they are in the public record.)

And he was just getting started.

Who can add to the list, and compile a more complete one?

“Never let a good crisis go to waste." - Winston Churchill (Quote later appropriated by Rahm Emanuel)
m buckley

Postby m buckley » Sun Feb 11, 2018 10:26 pm

Brian Essi wrote:
james fitzgibbons wrote:What are they Brian?

They are in the growing local and national party of "Hypocrats"!

Mr. Essi
Hypocrats. That's right. That's defining.
And there's plenty of it going around on both sides.

Just gimme me the truth. Insist on the truth. Insist on transparency.
That's what I respect.That's what matters to me.

And in Lakewood that's the rub. Because Summers, Butler, Bullock, O'Leary and all of them and all that they represent, don't just fall short of the truth, they subvert the truth. They turn it upside down and inside out.
It's their nature. It's what Hypocrats do.

" City Council is a 7-member communications army." Colin McEwen December 10, 2015.

Return to “Lakewood General Discussions”