My 1968 Lakewood Time Machine...

The jumping off discussion area for the rest of the Deck. All things Lakewood.
Please check out our other sections. As we refile many discussions from the past into
their proper sections please check them out and offer suggestions.

Moderators: Jim DeVito, Dan Alaimo

Gary Rice

My 1968 Lakewood Time Machine...

Postby Gary Rice » Fri Jan 05, 2018 10:43 am

Good Friends in Lakewood Land:

As I settle comfortably into January’s arm chair world of Geezerdom, it is amazing what a time machine I have in my mind. As I hop into bed at night, I can practically assure myself that before too long, those dreams will come along, and I will step through the portals of time, and once again enter the dim distant past; only that past will very much seem like the present, all over again.

Sometimes, in my dreams, I will be traveling with my parents, or enjoying one of many vacation destinations. Sometimes, and surprisingly often, I will find myself back in the classroom, preparing another lesson for the students. Oftentimes, I will be transported back in time to some Florida pawn shop where I'll be wheeling and dealing for some old musical instrument that I found way up high on some dusty old shelf. I sure wish I could re-visit that old Panama City pier where the aromatic oyster bar sat right where the fishing boat pier met the sidewalk. You could get a dozen fresh hot Oysters Rockefeller for a couple of bucks, right from off that same boat. You had to get there by 3, because they were gone by 5. The proprietor had only part of an ear too. It was said that a shark got the other part of it, but no one was ever brave enough to ask him about it. Sorry, but I blissfully digress here.

And then, yes, sometimes, there are those other nightmare dreams of tragedies, close calls, and triggered unhappy memories of those times when, but for the Grace of God, things could have ended up far worse in my life. Lots of those dreams involve either me, or some loved one, and I will wake up absolutely traumatized by the visions that my mind provided to me.

Dreams, as all of us know, don't just happen in the night. Sometimes, those random thoughts and memories flood back to us when we open a drawer, look at some picture, notice some object, or hear some expression on TV, or whatever else might cause the past to come alive uninvited into our minds. You young ones will have these thoughts someday, if you live long enough; but again, I digress here.

It was written long ago in that Great Book, regarding the last days, that our sons and daughters would prophesy, our young men would see visions, our old men would dream dreams, and that whole time frame thing has certainly rung true in my own life. As a young man, I sure took changing the world seriously. I saw many visions indeed, and tried to make as many of them as possible come true. Did quite a bit of prophesying m’ self too, particularly with my songwriting. My guitar, banjo, and drums were not so much objects of entertainment, but serious social machines; purchased to effect change. It certainly was a starry-eyed quest on my part back then.

The thing was, yes, I actually was able to help to change a lot of things for the better over the years. I tried to rise and either tame, or slay, every dragon that came along.

Anyway, I was just thinking about a time, 50 years ago, in 1968, that I dream about probably more than other times, because it truly was a time when this writer, as a 16-17 year old, came of age. In my own life, and in the life of our nation, terrible and traumatic things happened that caused everyone who survived that year to understand that something indeed had happened. There's an old saying that when we lose innocence, we gain experience. :shock:

That happened to all of us, dear friends, in 1968. As Buffalo Springfield played and Stephen Stills sang in 1967, there WAS something happening here...even in Lakewood. If you think times are strange now? You needed to be here then, and perhaps you were... :roll:

For me personally, I had an unfortunate experience back then with someone whom I thought was a good friend that really affected my life; leaving me confused and shaken to the point that it would be a long time before I would ever trust anyone again. Come to think of it, I'm still not a very trusting person, but I digress here.

Coming of age? Oh yeah. :shock:

Our country too, was also being severely traumatized in 1968. At the beginning of the year, the Battle of Khe Sanh in Vietnam, followed weeks later by the Tet Offensive, showed all of us that the Vietnam War was far from over. Those North Koreans were at it again too, seizing a U.S. Navy ship; the Pueblo. Our confidence in how the Vietnam War was being waged would soon be further shaken by events like the My Lai massacre. (an incident that would not fully be disclosed until the following year)

Colleges erupted in protests over the need for more Afro-centric studies, and of course, the Vietnam War too. The dream of nonviolent protests died with the assassinations of Martin Luther King and Bobby Kennedy, and the Summer of '68 became a bloodbath, as American cities burned with fire and protest.

Later in the year, Richard Nixon would be elected to the Presidency, replacing (in January, 1969) Lyndon Johnson.

Oh yeah, and for what it was worth to y'all, I finally got REALLY serious about playing the guitar, or rather bass. In '68, Dad got me a bass guitar. The first tunes that I learned on it were the Surfari's "Wipeout" and "Snoopy and the Red Baron". I used that bass in school, and in several garage bands, before I traded it off to a friend who played professionally around Cleveland for years. That bass went through a few more hands before coming back to me several years ago. It still works well, and is sitting right next to me by the piano, to this very day!

At the beginning of 1968, I was a very confused kid. At the end of 1968, I was becoming quite an activist. As a semi-constructive way of dealing with my outrage, I would later major in Political Science in college, at least when I was not raising cain on the Rock and Roll and social protest stages of life. (My own fight mostly centered on rights for people with disabilities) Whether in college, or on bass, guitar, banjo, or on my double-bass set of drums, I was ready to change the world! (or, as the old saying goes, I was trying to make sure that I would not be changed by the world!) :D

I learned a great deal in 1968. One of the best things I learned was how to SURVIVE people, places, events, and indeed, life itself. In 1968, indeed, I, and the rest of the world, grew up and came of age...Lakewood High too, was changing. Student styles were morphing from tucked-in button-down shirts and beehive hair-dos to wide belts, mini-skirts, paisley shirts, hop sack jeans, and of course, for guys and gals, long stringy hair, and the longer, the better. :D

What I personally took from all of that social stuff was that no longer would it be possible to stand on the sidelines of life and look on passively. You were in the middle of it, like it or not. No doubt about that. You were either going to be a part of life's problems, or life's solutions. There would be no in-between. No compromise. No surrender.

Later on, of course, I would learn that compromise is possible and even sometimes desirable, but never at the expense of human rights, human dignity, human respect, and human freedom. :D

Of course, all of that finesse stuff indeed, would come later. You also have to learn to pick your fights. :D

In 1968, it was pure war, and quite honestly, it was a war from which few of us have fully recovered. :shock:

Photo attached: Gary, playing for a dance at Horace Mann School, with Lakewood's SKIE Band, circa 1968.

How about you all? Any memories from back then that you'd like to share? :D

Happy New Year All, :D

Gary Rice
Attachments
'60's Gary.jpg
'60's Gary.jpg (1.76 MiB) Viewed 4987 times

mjkuhns

Re: My 1968 Lakewood Time Machine...

Postby mjkuhns » Fri Jan 05, 2018 7:25 pm

This is some heavy stuff. A combination of timeless, and all too timely. Thank you for sharing it.

:: matt kuhns ::
Gary Rice

Postby Gary Rice » Fri Jan 05, 2018 8:36 pm

Thanks, Mr. Kuhns,

I think, in some ways, (knowing the way that you like to get involved in constructive change) that you and I may be kindred spirits from two different generations. :D

By the way, for what it's worth to all here?

The past is an interesting place to visit, but a lousy place to live in. :roll:

Back to the present day. :D

Gary Rice

Postby Gary Rice » Fri Jan 05, 2018 9:47 pm

OK, just a few more memories from 1968... :shock:

From the song "Smoke on Blue", by Gary Rice (SKIE Band)

Written after we lost Bobby Kennedy... :shock:

In the Year of '68, we saw a leader rise.
He promised comfort to our war-torn land.
Before he could come on, a killer's bullet struck him down.
Like his brother who had gone five years before him...

Ah, but we may never know the heavens...
But why must we do what we must do?
Where are all the leaders of tomorrow?
And why is there smoke, when skies are blue?

Here's a link to a very touching video posting that I found, remembering RFK in his words. For those too young to understand what 1968 was like, and for those who are old enough to remember, this is one reason, I believe, why kids finally took to the streets for change...Whether anything REALLY changed would be put to a severe test in 1970, next to a building called Taylor Hall, at a place called Kent State...but's that's a story for another time... :shock:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=THGhFcGNh0Q

"Some men see things as they are and say "Why?". I dream things that never were, and say "Why not?"

Robert Kennedy 1968

In my Lakewood Observer columns, I've also written of my personal experiences in the South during this time, and earlier.

In places like Birmingham, Montgomery, Anniston, Gadsden, and other places, there are many stories I COULD tell, and many stories that I have ALREADY told, and some I just can't talk about at all anymore. :shock:

Then, in 1968, there was Memphis; a scant two months before Bobby was killed...

I was NOT there, but many others were. That's where Martin Luther King was killed.

Martin was lost in April, 1968. Bobby was lost in June, 1968.

A half-century ago ...that seems like yesterday to me. :shock:

Peter Grossetti

Postby Peter Grossetti » Fri Jan 05, 2018 11:39 pm

Gary - Good stuff! I turned 11 years old in 1968, but I remember being so engaged by Buffalo Springfield’s “For What It’s Worth” ... probably more so from a musical standpoint, as the lyrics really didn’t resonate with my unsophisticated childish mind. Isn’t it wonderful that as we grow older we get also gain perspective?

I think Buffalo Springfield is one of the most under appreciated collections of talent ever assembled.

"So, let's make the most of this beautiful day.
Since we're together we might as well say:
Would you be mine? Could you be mine?
Won't you be my neighbor?"

~ Fred (Mr. Rogers) Rogers
Jim O'Bryan

Postby Jim O'Bryan » Sat Jan 06, 2018 8:33 am

Peter Grossetti wrote:Gary - Good stuff! I turned 11 years old in 1968, but I remember being so engaged by Buffalo Springfield’s “For What It’s Worth” ... probably more so from a musical standpoint, as the lyrics really didn’t resonate with my unsophisticated childish mind. Isn’t it wonderful that as we grow older we get also gain perspective?

I think Buffalo Springfield is one of the most under appreciated collections of talent ever assembled.

For What It Is Worth
Buffalo Springfield

There's something happening here
What it is ain't exactly clear
There's a man with a gun over there
Telling me I got to beware

I think it's time we stop, children, what's that sound
Everybody look what's going down

There's battle lines being drawn
Nobody's right if everybody's wrong
Young people speaking their minds
Getting so much resistance from behind

It's time we stop, hey, what's that sound

What a field-day for the heat
A thousand people in the street
Singing songs and carrying signs
Mostly say, hooray for our side

It's s time we stop, hey, what's that sound

Paranoia strikes deep
Into your life it will creep
It starts when you're always afraid
You step out of line, the man come and take you away

We better stop, hey, what's that sound
Stop, hey, what's that sound
Stop, now, what's that sound
Stop, children, what's that sound

Songwriter:Stephen Stills

Probably the band's short life less than 2 full years had more to do with Neil Young, than Stephen Stills leaving to form Crosby, Stills and Nash. Which later also featured his life long "friend" Neil Young before breaking up soon afterwards. Hmmmmmmmmmm

Another important band and song of the time, from a true super group with Lakewood connections is...

Jim O'Bryan
Lakewood Resident

"The very act of observing disturbs the system."
Werner Heisenberg

"If anything I've said seems useful to you, I'm glad.
If not, don't worry. Just forget about it."
His Holiness The Dalai Lama
Gary Rice

Postby Gary Rice » Sat Jan 06, 2018 9:21 am

Great points and post, all... :D

And now, for all you conspiracy theorists out there...or, for those of you who like to discover unlikely links on the Lakewood chain of life generally, and events, particularly....

How much, exactly, did those bands, and particularly those Lakewood-related bands like SKIE, HAZE, and so many others back then influence even present-day Lakewood, with all of their strongly-worded hard messaging musical material? :shock:

Case in point?

Well, let us first consider that there's always the Law of Unintended Consequences, or if you prefer, that whole Chaos Theory thing, where the butterfly flaps those wings, supposedly causing a hurricane somewhere in the following week... :shock:

See, It occurs to me that many, if not MOST of the people who ended up being involved in ALL sides of Lakewood's present epic controversy were members of Horace Mann Jr. High's human contribution to the future LHS Class of '72, and even more than that, were likely kids right there in the audience that night, while SKIE was playing! :shock:

SKIE did indeed, like to play "music for change" and get kids all riled up, so that they too felt that they could make a difference in the world. :roll:

Gee, do you suppose I could have had an indirect part of starting all this uproar, 50 years ago? :shock:

Little old "back to the banjo", peacemaking me and the band? :roll:

Were YOU standing there in front of my drums that night? :shock:

I suppose we'll never know, will we? :shock:

Or, paraphrasing Faulkner, sometimes the past isn't past... :shock:

Or, as Robert Plant later sang with Zep, does the song indeed, remain the same? :wink:

Back to the history books... :D

Brian Essi

Postby Brian Essi » Sat Jan 06, 2018 11:15 am

Gary Rice wrote:What I personally took from all of that social stuff was that no longer would it be possible to stand on the sidelines of life and look on passively. You were in the middle of it, like it or not. No doubt about that. You were either going to be a part of life's problems, or life's solutions. There would be no in-between. No compromise. No surrender.
Gary Rice

Ah, Yes Mr. Rice--our synapses cross again.

The Late Great 1968.

No Rachmones!

"I never was a conservative, until I had something to conserve."

As a "conservative" fighting for the most vulnerable among us and working class Lakewoodites, I find no compromise, no surrendering of principles I acquired in 1968 and hone ever since.

https://youtu.be/8mWukk4BHoo?t=9m31s

There is a Revolution taking place in Lakewood---standing on the sidelines of life and looking on passively supports to "Establishment".

David Anderson has no legitimate answers
Gary Rice

Postby Gary Rice » Sat Jan 06, 2018 3:55 pm

Howdy, Brian my friend,

And yes, having met and socialized with you, I do consider you to be a friend, along with many other people on ALL sides of that pesky hospital/city ethics issue whom I also consider to be my friends. :D

I can and will be friends with as many people as possible in my life. I may disagree with them personally or professionally, but unless some rubicon gets crossed, I'll be happy making friends with just about anyone. :D

Indeed, I like the old saying that people are like diamonds, having many sides. Some sides are bright and clear. Some are dull and dingy, but yes, I TRY to look at their bright sides. :D

Now admittedly, there are a few people who may confuse my acceptance of friendship as being a sort of "peace at any price" kind of guy, but that's not true, necessarily. :shock:

Having a preference for peace in no way means that I will always accept someone else's terms of acceptance for that lofty ideal... :shock:

In short, yes, I can be every inch as much a scrapper as anyone else can be. :shock:

That point made... :D

Being "Guitar Guy" Gary back in the '90's, helping The Rock Hall to care for their musical instruments, I remember a conversation that I had with Arlo Guthrie regarding my fixing up his legendary father's, (Woody Guthrie's) mandolin. Many remember Arlo for some of his songs during those wild times of the '60's. Seems I recall Arlo making a great point that people who REALLY CARED about stuff, whatever their political position might be, had a great deal more in common than people who are simply content to sit on the sidelines of life.

Arlo would later actually lean Republican, no kidding, and more to the point, my own political positions have also shifted all over the place over the years. I was actually a very happy mainstream Republican until some their supporters started looking at our teachers' unions and pensions. Being a then-retired teacher, I flipped over to the Democrats, and even found myself writing a campaign song for Ted Strickland!

My impression of principal party differences? Republicans seem to eat better, but Democrats seem to have WAY more fun. :D

Look, I've looked all over my body and have yet to find a permanent label stuck on me, so I don't label myself a liberal, a conservative, or whatEVER.

Fact is, I've found good points on most sides of Lakewood's political debates too...I therefore, these days, quietly support people and positions I like. :D

Well...USUALLY quietly. :lol:

But that word "revolution"? That implies a whole lot.... :roll:

That could well take us back to an "unintended consequences" conversation... :shock:

Back to the E-Z chair... :D

Brian Essi

Postby Brian Essi » Sat Jan 06, 2018 8:22 pm

Gary Rice wrote:
My impression of principal party differences? Republicans seem to eat better, but Democrats seem to have WAY more fun. :D

Hmmm Huh?

Let me see if I can make a comparable generalization.

My impression of 1968 Guitar players vs. the 1968 Banjo players? The Guitar players inhaled, ate more and had WAY more fun---the Banjo players were happier and made more friend
1968 Guitar Player:
IMG_0298.JPG
IMG_0298.JPG (4.91 MiB) Viewed 4642 times
1968 Banjo Player hanging out with friends:
IMG_0267.JPG
IMG_0267.JPG (4.01 MiB) Viewed 4642 times

David Anderson has no legitimate answers
Gary Rice

Postby Gary Rice » Sun Jan 07, 2018 8:26 am

Wow Brian,

That's WAY cool. I am (virtually) rolling on the floor laughing! (and longing for those crystal clear turquoise Gulf waters, Oysters Rockefeller, Conch soup, and perhaps later, some Lobster bisque, as well. :D

Gee, could this be my old Republican roots showing again? :lol:

Yes, I loved playing guitar. :shock:

Moreso, banjo now.... :D

...and that's probably a good thing, considering your apt analogy.... :D

...because banjo players (those turtles) are now a protected species. :D

Those lobster guitarists, on the other hand? :?:

Bisque. :shock: '

Back to that peace-lovin', trouble-makin' banjo. :D

Tim Liston

Postby Tim Liston » Sun Jan 07, 2018 11:49 pm

Though no Lakewood connection I know of, certainly emblematic of the late 1960's. RIP Ray Thomas....

Just months before his induction into the R&R HOF with the Moody Blues. The musicians of our youth are passing all too quickly....

Gary Rice

Postby Gary Rice » Tue Jan 09, 2018 9:10 am

Some of you sharp-eyed 'Deckers may have noticed that I replied to this a couple of times, only to take down my posts a few minutes later... :shock:

Sometimes, I'm just not sure WHAT to post...particularly regarding responses having to do with the past. :shock:

As I've said, Faulkner's point about the past not always being past rings so true in my mind. 1968 was a particularly significant time in my life. :shock:

Tim, I loved the Moody Blues song "You and Me" from their "Seventh Sojurn" album. In spite of you and I having a few differences over the years, ( :lol: ) it would seem that we share many common interests. :D

I too lament the loss of Ray Thomas from the Moody Blues. So many musicians from our time are leaving the stage of life... :shock:

A Lakewood connection to the music world was Declan Simon, drummer for the rock band HAZE. I was the drummer for SKIE, of course, and we battled Declan's fantastic band to a tie in 1970 on the Lakewood Park Bandstand, marking a kind of high water mark for Lakewood's '60's rock scene. Many years later, at the LHS Class of '69's 40th anniversary reunion, Declan would play drums with the re-formed SKIE band (pictured here in a photo taken by Dad at our Around The Corner reunion, featuring me on guitar, Linc Chamot on bass, and Mark "Shane" Phillips, vocals and guitar) Note: Declan's purple and gold sticks!

Declan's been gone now for a few years, and Shane is presently going through some really tough medical times, so please keep him in your prayers. Life is so precious. :!:

As the 'Deck has recently been discussing auto racing, another 1968 memory for me is that I was quite the bike enthusiast back then. I succeeded in getting Lakewood to approve bicycle races during their Lakewood Day celebrations, and I served as chairperson of the event for several years until it was discontinued. Many years later, others would reintroduce Lakewood bicycle racing, but that too, has been discontinued.

I'll attach a shot from a few years ago of me with a bike, taken by my dear late father. I did not race, except AGAINST m'self, and that, dear 'Deckers, is perhaps the most important race of all. :D

Back to the bicycle. :D
Attachments
Summer 06 045.jpg
Summer 06 045.jpg (618.95 KiB) Viewed 4375 times
Summer 09 110.jpg
Summer 09 110.jpg (2.22 MiB) Viewed 4375 times

Gary Rice

Postby Gary Rice » Tue Jan 09, 2018 10:44 am

James,

I remember Ida Red well. Great guys, great band! :D

Back to the fiddle! :D