My 1968 Lakewood Time Machine...

The jumping off discussion area for the rest of the Deck. All things Lakewood.
Please check out our other sections. As we refile many discussions from the past into
their proper sections please check them out and offer suggestions.

Moderators: Jim DeVito, Dan Alaimo

james fitzgibbons

Re: My 1968 Lakewood Time Machine...

Postby james fitzgibbons » Tue Jan 09, 2018 11:20 am

To my ears and soul they were as good as any band I have heard, Red Higgins was a friend and also worked for me, the lead guitarist Gary died in a fire. Jimmy Stamper was the drummer. They had female singer also.

Mark Crnolatas

Postby Mark Crnolatas » Tue Jan 09, 2018 2:41 pm

1968??? WOW. Back then more than a few people suggested I write a book, but as one of the teaching staff at LHS said, "Naaa, no one will believe it". This was a pivotal time in my life BIGTIME, in just about every aspect.
In '68, I was 18. I was into Jazz trumpet in a big way. I didn't know any of the bands everyone else knew, although I did hear of them.

I had a "bud" who was 10 yrs. older than me, that turned me on to several jazz groups around Cleveland. Quickly, I was playing with several jazz groups around town, and a few big bands here and there. Oh yeah, I did play with a 10 piece Mariachi band with the Ricky Ricardo type shirts for a few months. Not many laughed at those duds, I was driving a NEW Thunderbird. I was making some strong money for an 18 year old. School ? uhhh...yeah a little. I DID graduate but only by a hair.After all, I was playing 5 nights a week or more at the Cat's Meow downtown. Those musicians probably averaged 70 years old. Two of 5 piece band played with Count Basie, Duke Ellington and the like. Boy did I get an education there.I guess I just looked "older". I was usually the only "pale-face" in the club. I loved those people and the guys in the band. Skipping to the next part, *ahem*.,

In the rest of the world, refer to Gary's posts. No point to duplicating efforts.

In the meanwhile, LHS Concert band and the Marching Band was a strange mix of superb musicianship, far beyond our years as a whole, BUT, we all (or most) had the mentality and sense of humor pretty close to the 3 stooges. There were just more of us than them.
AHH memories. The Marching band played all over the place. When "away" games were played, we rode on CTS buses. One game, the "other team" was getting slaughtered, and a few of the band members (taking the 5th here) snuck away from the stands, and let the air out of several of the tires on the buses. Wait, that must have been someone else :roll: . On the way back to Lkwd, we hung uniforms ACROSS the back of the buses, and it was a neck fest back there. Of course, I must have read that somewhere, or something. :roll: When we bailed out of the buses, possibly 50% were fully dressed and proper, the buses smelled like beer and urine. The rest....well..next subject. :oops:

Btw, let me remind you the musicianship of the whole band was SUPERB., and I'm sure never duplicated since. Man, the people could play at a professional level ALL the time , but the mayhem existed possibly due to the excellence of the musicians. I have no idea. (To be continued, IF ALLOWED..later. )

Mark Allan Crnolatas Sr.
In God We Trust
Gary Rice

Postby Gary Rice » Tue Jan 09, 2018 3:06 pm

Gee, what I missed... :shock:

I was in the SAME LHS marching band, SAME buses too...but I never noticed THAT level of excitement or mischief on any of the buses I was on... :shock:

Still, with band, I suppose, all things are possible... :roll:

Oh yeah, right on about the musicianship. We were FREAKIN' AWESOME!!!! :D

I do recall going on the trip to Canada with the band. Five buses and those steep mountainous roads. One bus got the nickname, "The Vomit Comet", but I digress here. At least it wasn't MY bus. Maybe it was one Mark was on? :roll:

I must have had a sheltered life... :D

Can there be a better time than this one to cue Lemon Tree's 1968 song "William Chalker's Time Machine"? :!:

Go ahead, just try to get THAT song out of your head!! :lol:

Any other tidbits out there from YOUR 1968 time machine? :shock:

Back to the band bus. :lol:

mike fridrich

Postby mike fridrich » Thu Jan 11, 2018 1:47 pm

hi Gary
nice post, all of which you said is true
that is the year I met my wive , dated 2 years married ever since, 47 years now
i do remember all of what you wrote, i believe you and i are the same age
thanks
for the memories
mike Fridrich

Gary Rice

Postby Gary Rice » Thu Jan 11, 2018 3:19 pm

Hi Mike!

Thanks for your kind words, and for coming on the 'Deck and posting! :D

Come back anytime. You have so much to offer! :D

My best to you and your family and yes, I suspect that we are indeed very close in age. :D

Back to the banjo.. :D

Return to “Lakewood General Discussions”