A Christmas Gift From Gary Rice & the Lakewood Observer

The jumping off discussion area for the rest of the Deck. All things Lakewood.
Please check out our other sections. As we refile many discussions from the past into
their proper sections please check them out and offer suggestions.

Moderators: Jim DeVito, Dan Alaimo

Jim O'Bryan

A Christmas Gift From Gary Rice & the Lakewood Observer

Postby Jim O'Bryan » Mon Dec 25, 2017 10:29 am

Longtime Lakewood Observer member, and musician extraordinaire Gary Rice has been working on a series of special videos to share with all the members, viewers, lurkers and friends of the Lakewood Observer. The message he wants to share with all of us is one of love, respect and looking forward together as a community, and there is no better way than through music. Even in some of the most heated discussions, Gary can be seen asking, "Is it time for Kumbaya?"

This amazing Lakewoodite, has been given drum lessons by Gene Krupa, played "Chopsticks" with Duke Ellington, and brighten many lives with his music over the decades. His father Bob Rice was also a grand musical gift to Lakewood as both a music teacher in the Lakewood School system, but also playing, writing and performing all over the places right up until the time of his unfortunate passing. The Rice Family was much more than a Christmas Gift to Lakewood.

Gary finds it easy to play guitar, drums, piano, accordion, banjo, trombone, etc. so for these specials he puts himself into the world of the different and bizarre, given us all something to both enjoy and be amazed at. I am sure we all remember him playing the "Thanksgiving Hymn" on Turkey Baster! If not it can be viewed at: http://lakewoodobserver.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=24392

For this special presentation of "Silent Night" Gary and I were going out into the woods to saw down a Christmas Tree, then play "Silent Night" on the saw. In the end, Gary a most loving individual could not bring himself to cutting down a living tree, and we went out looking for a place to film this short video. When Lakewood Public Library director James Crawford first heard of the idea over lunch one day, he mentioned that he had never seen anyone play the saw, and invited in to use the stage at the Lakewood Public Library. Gary, the consummate professional thought in front of the very Christmas tree Santa appeared in front of at Light Up Lakewood would be the better location, and so it was.

On a quiet late afternoon Gary set up to do one 3 takes, one on guitar, one on saw, and one with a medley. What you see here is a mix of the two. Any problem with timing is totally on the filming and not Mr. Rice, so please do not blame him.

With that I give you "Silent Night" by Gary Rice on guitar and saw. Have a Merry Christmas and the best of New Years.

Gary Rice, playing guitar and saw at Lakewood Public Library. Edited by Will Kozushko.
The song was first performed on Christmas Eve 1818 at St Nicholas parish church in Oberndorf, a village in the Austrian Empire on the Salzach river in present-day Austria. A young priest, Father Joseph Mohr, had come to Oberndorf the year before. He had written the lyrics of the song "Stille Nacht" in 1816 at Mariapfarr, the hometown of his father in the Salzburg Lungau region. (Wikipedia)

Peace and Love to All

Jim O'Bryan
Lakewood Resident

"The very act of observing disturbs the system."
Werner Heisenberg

"If anything I've said seems useful to you, I'm glad.
If not, don't worry. Just forget about it."
His Holiness The Dalai Lama
Gary Rice

Re: A Christmas Gift From Gary Rice & the Lakewood Observer

Postby Gary Rice » Mon Dec 25, 2017 3:30 pm

Outstanding production and editing Jim. :D

The song turned out very much like an "echo taps" that we sometimes hear at military cemeteries, where two bugles echo the melody. :idea:

That was not easy to pull off Jim. Very cool... :D

My being in a religious robe in the video is a nod to the special legend surrounding the very special origins of Silent Night in a church in the Austrian village of Obendorf. Legend has it that the mice got into the bellows of the pump organ, disabling it. The priest, Fr. Mohr, had a beautiful little poem that he had previously composed and the choirmaster, Franz Gruber put the poem to music and it was performed on guitar that evening in 1818 for the first time, and is still often traditionally played on the guitar. :D

Think about it...That was 199 years ago. Next year will be the 200th anniversary of Silent Night! :D

Additionally, the very special guitar I'm using in the video was designed by guitar virtuoso Marcel Dadi and his friend, Spanish guitar builder Jose Ramirez III. The world of classical nylon string guitar design is a fairly conservative one, but Dadi wanted his special guitar top to made of cedar, with a narrow neck, electronic capability, a cut-a-way body, and other features that caused many in the classical world to poo-poo this new...thing. :roll:

Unfortunately both Jose and Marcel passed away, not long after the guitar was made, but this style of guitar has turned out to be quite popular today (And the Ramirez company is still building similar guitars) :D

Marcel Dadi passed away on TWA Flight 800, in the skies above Long Island Sound, NY. :shock:

He could not play for you now. :cry:

That job was left to me, and to a very special guitar. :D

The origins of the musical saw are lost to time. Some say it started in the slave cabins, others believe in the mountains of Appalachia. It was popular in silent theater sound effects and on the live pre-television variety shows. My older cousin was a well known 'Sawyer" and first taught me how to do it when I was a child. It's a good tradition to keep alive. You all know how much I like to be a cut up. :lol:

Back to prepping for New Years... :D

Gary Rice

Postby Gary Rice » Tue Dec 26, 2017 7:19 pm

David, Stan, Jim, and all those who have contacted me in other ways...

Thanks all, for your support and understanding. :D

Cold weather, warm hearts. :D

Look after the troubled, the sick, sad, sorrowful, suffering... :shock:

Telephone those who are alone, or who are needful. :shock:

The needs are never difficult to discover... :!:

Jim O'Bryan

Postby Jim O'Bryan » Fri Dec 29, 2017 8:39 am

Gary Rice's amazing duet has been re-edited by his friend Will Kozushko of Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada.

Thank you Will and Gary!

Gary Rice, playing guitar and saw at Lakewood Public Library. Edited by Will Kozushko.
The song was first performed on Christmas Eve 1818 at St Nicholas parish church in Oberndorf, a village in the Austrian Empire on the Salzach river in present-day Austria. A young priest, Father Joseph Mohr, had come to Oberndorf the year before. He had written the lyrics of the song "Stille Nacht" in 1816 at Mariapfarr, the hometown of his father in the Salzburg Lungau region. (Wikipedia)

Jim O'Bryan
Lakewood Resident

"The very act of observing disturbs the system."
Werner Heisenberg

"If anything I've said seems useful to you, I'm glad.
If not, don't worry. Just forget about it."
His Holiness The Dalai Lama
Missy Limkemann

Postby Missy Limkemann » Fri Dec 29, 2017 10:12 am

Gary Rice has come to Garfield Middle school and has helped the band. My son plays percussion in the 8th grade band and LOVES when Mr. Rice comes to class. He comes home and tells me all about it. He has such a smile on his face. So to Gary...THANK YOU for all you do for the city and for the kids and for music. I know we here love you!!!!

Time is precious, waste is wisely
Gary Rice

Postby Gary Rice » Fri Dec 29, 2017 1:08 pm

Missy,

Thank you. :D

A New Years Reflection to All:

Many years ago, I started walking up a steep and rocky hill, and in my frustration, I finally came to the realization that I was carrying too much weight on my journey, so I reached into my backpack to see what there was that I might discard. First, there was a big lump of something called "the Past", so I found a receptacle and tossed that away, along with another big lump called "guilt". That made things a bit easier, but a few more hundred feet up that hill, I found it necessary to again stop and rest. Reaching into my pack again, I pulled out a clod of resentment, along with a huge blob of fear, and another, of uncertainty, There was a bigger blob still at the bottom of the pack that took some real digging out. That was the blob of anger and hatred, but that too went into the receptacle.

I climb on, still, with a few clods of residue left in that old pack. Every now and again, I stop to empty out even more. :D

The one thing still in that pack, that is light as a feather, and as essential to me as the air I breathe and the water in my canteen, is love. :D

That and that alone, keeps me climbing, because the higher I climb, the more that love fills my pack, and the lighter it somehow becomes. :D

Back to the banjo... :D

Gary Rice

Postby Gary Rice » Fri Dec 29, 2017 2:19 pm

This is not the first time that our fantastically talented Canadian buddy and adopted Lakewoodite, Will, has graced the Observation Deck with his time and talents. :D

You might recall that Groundhog Day last, Will put together that wonderful photo of a bear and a groundhog peacefully playing music.

The groundhog is actually playing a cümbüş, a wonderful banjo-like Turkish instrument that was reportedly invented after WWI in order to promote world peace. (and is still a popular folk instrument in BOTH Jewish and Arab circles!) :shock:

Thanks Will, for everything! Sometimes, it takes awhile, but Love wins. :D

Back to the cümbüş :D
Attachments
banjo_bear.jpg
banjo_bear.jpg (400.63 KiB) Viewed 6553 times

Gary Rice

Postby Gary Rice » Wed Dec 18, 2019 10:00 am

Just thought I'd bring this memory back for you all. :D

Best of the season to you as we go forward together! :D

Back to the banjo! :D

Return to “Lakewood General Discussions”