At-large City Council seat recount?

The jumping off discussion area for the rest of the Deck. All things Lakewood.
Please check out our other sections. As we refile many discussions from the past into
their proper sections please check them out and offer suggestions.

Moderators: Jim DeVito, Dan Alaimo

Peter Grossetti

At-large City Council seat recount?

Postby Peter Grossetti » Thu Nov 16, 2017 7:49 am

It is my understanding that the extremely narrow difference in the recent election between “third place winner” Mr. Bullock and “fourth place loser” Ms. Marx would generate an automatic recount by the Cuyahoga County Board of Elections.

Does anyone know if that occurred? I have heard neither hide nor hair about this.

Also, when do the new council members get sworn in and seated?

Thanks in advance for anyone’s reply.

"So, let's make the most of this beautiful day.
Since we're together we might as well say:
Would you be mine? Could you be mine?
Won't you be my neighbor?"

~ Fred (Mr. Rogers) Rogers
mjkuhns

Re: At-large City Council seat recount?

Postby mjkuhns » Thu Nov 16, 2017 8:52 am

My understanding is that:

A recount will take place, but this is a slow process.

New council members will be sworn in on Monday, January 1.

:: matt kuhns ::
Michael Deneen

Postby Michael Deneen » Thu Nov 16, 2017 8:55 am

mjkuhns wrote:My understanding is that:A recount will take place, but this is a slow process.New council members will be sworn in on Monday, January 1.

Correct.
The margin is thin, but not likely close enough to reverse the outcome.

It's just a shame that they both can't lose.
That said, I'm happy to be rid of Marx.

Jim O'Bryan

Postby Jim O'Bryan » Thu Nov 16, 2017 10:21 am

Peter Grossetti wrote:It is my understanding that the extremely narrow difference in the recent election between “third place winner” Mr. Bullock and “fourth place loser” Ms. Marx would generate an automatic recount by the Cuyahoga County Board of Elections.

Does anyone know if that occurred? I have heard neither hide nor hair about this.

Also, when do the new council members get sworn in and seated?

Thanks in advance for anyone’s reply.

Peter

Are you speaking of Akron or Lakewood? :wink:

I believe the recount here will be on November 28th.

The last Lakewood recount that I remember was over the WestEnd which had a heavy turnout and by the end of the recount, only 2 votes had been "found or change" one on each side. There could be more impact from the provisional votes. (I have been told of two recounts in School Board elections)

Jim O'Bryan
Lakewood Resident

"The very act of observing disturbs the system."
Werner Heisenberg

"If anything I've said seems useful to you, I'm glad.
If not, don't worry. Just forget about it."
His Holiness The Dalai Lama
Jim O'Bryan

Postby Jim O'Bryan » Thu Nov 16, 2017 11:06 am

From the Board of Elections...

POST-ELECTION INFORMATION NOVEMBER 7, 2017 GE ERAL
ELECTION VOTE BY MAIL
PROVISIONAL BALLOTS
CERTIFICATION OF THE
ELECTION
RECOUNTS

Note: Information is subject to change, please check back for updates

VOTE BY MAIL
During the 10 days following Election Day, the Board of Elections may receive vote by mail ballots that can be accepted and counted if the return envelopes are postmarked by the Monday before the Election Day.

If you are a voter outside the U.S. on Election Day, your ballot envelope must be submitted for mailing not later than 12:01 a.m. on Election Day and received by not later than the 10 days after an election.

Valid ballots returned during the 10 days following Election Day will be tabulated during the official count and included in the final official certification of the election.

The Board of Elections website will provide updates by municipality indicating the quantity of valid vote by mail ballots received during the 10 days following Election Day, as well as the number of ballots not returned.

PROVISIONAL BALLOTS
The Board of Elections website will provide updates by municipality indicating the quantity of provisional ballots cast during the election.

During the 10 days following Election Day, the Board of Elections reviews provisional ballot envelopes containing provisional ballots cast during the election to confirm:
• the voter is registered and eligible to vote;
• the required information on the envelope has been completed;
• the voter did not cast an Absentee Ballot; and
• the voter did not cast a ballot on Election Day in the precinct of their previous address.

On November 20, 2017, the Board will meet to determine the validity of all provisional ballots and review any provisional ballots recommended by the Board of Elections staff.

All valid provisional voter envelopes will be opened and the ballots reviewed to ensure the voter cast a ballot in the correct precinct.Invalid provisional voter envelopes will remain sealed.

Valid provisional ballots will be tabulated during the official count and included in the final official certification of the election.

CERTIFICATION OF THE ELECTION
The Board of Elections will release the Official Results at its certification meeting on November 28, 2017

RECOUNTS
Automatic recounts will be announced at the November 28, 2017certification meeting and will also be posted to the Board of Elections website.

Requested recounts will be posted to the Board of Elections website after they are filed.

If there is a recount, notice will be provided via certified mail to each person for whom votes were cast in the election that is the subject of the recount. For question or issue elections, notice will be provided to the chairperson of the group of electors that applied for the recount and/or the taxing authority or petitioners that submitted the question or issue.

All recounts are conducted in accordance to Ohio Revised Code Chapter 3515 and Ohio Secretary of State Directive Recount Procedures.

HOW TO REQUEST A RECOUNT
Written applications for requested recounts can be filed with the Candidate & Petition Services Department, located on the second (2nd) floor of the Cuyahoga County Board of Elections Main Building, located at 2925 Euclid Avenue, Cleveland, Ohio 44115.

Written applications must list the precinct(s) to be recounted and be accompanied by a $60 deposit for each precinct to be recounted. Acceptable payment includes: currency, bank money order, bank cashier’s check, or certified check.

Written applications cannot be accepted until after the election has been certified by the Board.

Written applications must be received by December 4, 2017 at 4:00 p.m. and must include the proper deposit.

RECOUNT LOCATION
Cuyahoga County Board of Elections Warehouse Second (2nd) Floor, Ballot Tabulation Center, 1890 East 40th Street, Cleveland, Ohio 44103

IF YOU HAVE QUESTIONS REGARDING RECOUNTS, PLEASE CONTACT:

Brian Cleary, Ballot Services Division Manager at
bcleary@cuyahogacounty.us
or (216) 780-0714

Jim O'Bryan
Lakewood Resident

"The very act of observing disturbs the system."
Werner Heisenberg

"If anything I've said seems useful to you, I'm glad.
If not, don't worry. Just forget about it."
His Holiness The Dalai Lama

Return to “Lakewood General Discussions”