Be a part of shaping the future of the remaining funds from Lakewood Hospital

The jumping off discussion area for the rest of the Deck. All things Lakewood.
Please check out our other sections. As we refile many discussions from the past into
their proper sections please check them out and offer suggestions.

Moderators: Jim DeVito, Dan Alaimo

mjkuhns

Re: Be a part of shaping the future of the remaining funds from Lakewood Hospital

Postby mjkuhns » Thu Nov 16, 2017 11:05 am

I was there for most of the meeting, and have also met with planning task force members on one or two other occasions.

My general impression is that this effort looks as good as I could ask, so far. I'll agree with encouraging people to take part.

:: matt kuhns ::
bentleymike

Re: Be a part of shaping the future of the remaining funds from Lakewood Hospital

Postby bentleymike » Thu Nov 16, 2017 5:42 pm

[quote="mjkuhns" ]My general impression is that this effort looks as good as I could ask, so far. I'll agree with encouraging people to take part.[/quote]

[quote="Dan Alaimo] My impression is the citizen members of the Lakewood Wellness Foundation Task Force are a very sincere bunch who are determined to carry out their assignment the right way, although the odds of them succeeding might be long. They want to build trust in a situation where trust has been decimated. The seem inclined to embrace the same citizen activists the administration has vilified. They seem to understand the meaning of 'transparency'.[/quote]

Dan & Matt-- Thank you for partaking last night. I'm glad you saw the hard work we've been putting in. We're going to continue to flow information out.

Jim, I'm not sure on the timing of the white paper. We do have a task force meeting on the 29th (which is open to the public), so I'd imagine we'd have it by then.

We're about to get into some big topics, like the mission/vision and structure over the next couple of months. As we get further along the road, I'll report back the answers to many of the questions that are on the top of people's minds.

I'd encourage everyone to visit the website to see all of our reports.

Mike Bentley
Mark Kindt

Postby Mark Kindt » Fri Nov 17, 2017 9:40 am

In the interest of maintaining an open dialogue about the origin and creation of the New Foundation, I would like to continue this discussion.

QUESTION: Should the New Foundation have government participation or government supervision or should the New Foundation be independent of government participation or government supervision?

Since the majority of the funds to be distributed to the New Foundation under the Master Agreement derive from the liquidation of publicly-owned assets, why wouldn't we expect to have municipal supervision or participation in the operation of the New Foundation?

Isn't that the best way to ensure that the funds are used for the benefit of the residents of Lakewood?

The floor is open!

Bridget Conant

Postby Bridget Conant » Fri Nov 17, 2017 9:47 am

Maybe they could start by offering transportation for seniors in Lakewood to get to their doctors who now are located in Avon or Westlake.

Remember when Cindy Marx promised seniors would be taken care of if the hospital moved?

Dan Alaimo

Postby Dan Alaimo » Fri Nov 17, 2017 2:47 pm

Bridget Conant wrote:Maybe they could start by offering transportation for seniors in Lakewood to get to their doctors who now are located in Avon or Westlake.

Remember when Cindy Marx promised seniors would be taken care of if the hospital moved?

And unreimbursed ambulance expenses.

“Never let a good crisis go to waste." - Winston Churchill (Quote later appropriated by Rahm Emanuel)
Paul Schrimpf

Postby Paul Schrimpf » Fri Nov 17, 2017 4:35 pm

Dan Alaimo wrote:[quote]I had Mark Kindt's list of questions at the ready, but it was apparent that it was far too early to answer a lot of them. I aaked, "Who will appoint the board members?" But they asked meeting participants for suggestions about how to go about this. This will be an early sign of the Foundation's independence. If it's a small board, then the two CCF members will wield considerable influence; not so much if it is a big, diverse board. So we'll watch for that, as we watch for who is appointed to the board. If indeed they tap someone who was prominent in Save Lakewood Hospital, I'll take that as a sign that they are on the right track. If it is mostly people connected to CCF or City Hall, then the suspicions voiced here will be proven correct.
[/quote]

Fantastic post Dan, but this is really the essence. If the opposition is left in the cold, and control is squandered, the fix is in, and the divide will be left unhealed.

Jim O'Bryan

Postby Jim O'Bryan » Fri Nov 17, 2017 9:18 pm

Paul Schrimpf wrote:Dan Alaimo wrote:
I had Mark Kindt's list of questions at the ready, but it was apparent that it was far too early to answer a lot of them. I aaked, "Who will appoint the board members?" But they asked meeting participants for suggestions about how to go about this. This will be an early sign of the Foundation's independence. If it's a small board, then the two CCF members will wield considerable influence; not so much if it is a big, diverse board. So we'll watch for that, as we watch for who is appointed to the board. If indeed they tap someone who was prominent in Save Lakewood Hospital, I'll take that as a sign that they are on the right track. If it is mostly people connected to CCF or City Hall, then the suspicions voiced here will be proven correct.

Fantastic post Dan, but this is really the essence. If the opposition is left in the cold, and control is squandered, the fix is in, and the divide will be left unhealed.

Paul

I would ask, if pretending to arrange the crumbs left from a feast of vultures can cure anything? While it is important that we as residents do the best we can with the crumbs that are left, until the community addresses the real sickness, and cures the actual cause of the gash, can we really even think of healing.

With the election of two new young council members both pledging to work openly, honestly and respecting the people is certainly a start. Why not take this time for the residents with all of council call for an end to the war, and release all of the documents. EVERYTHING, let's put it all on the table now, and take major steps towards healing the city.

OR, even better have council ask for an outside investigation into all the shenanigans that went on. Not the piece meal BS going document by selected document, ask professionals come in, and then and only then can we even start to believe city hall again.

We all want to believe city hall and our elected leaders, but we have all been seriously played by City Hall and perhaps members of the School Board. I for one never remember any of the prebuilding talk of a public rec center at the high school, letting unregulated people in, to mingle with students. I do not remember anyone talking of the CCF medical station needing insurance to enter. Hell, had they mentioned that we could of been spared months of Mike Summers Rec Center and Natatorium talk.

The School Board remained suspiciously silent through all of, while the current City Council sat on their hands while the Mayor, the Clinic, The Law Director, and others had their way with all of us. Then actively worked to hide, destroy and change public documents while thugs threatened and intimidated those that dare to question their acts.

Let's all join with the new council on a complete investigation from outside, then and only then can we truly heal and move on together as the community we once were before this nightmare started.

Jim O'Bryan
Lakewood Resident

"The very act of observing disturbs the system."
Werner Heisenberg

"If anything I've said seems useful to you, I'm glad.
If not, don't worry. Just forget about it."
His Holiness The Dalai Lama
Mark Kindt

Postby Mark Kindt » Sun Nov 19, 2017 12:02 pm

Jim O'Bryan wrote:
Paul Schrimpf wrote:Dan Alaimo wrote:
I had Mark Kindt's list of questions at the ready, but it was apparent that it was far too early to answer a lot of them. I aaked, "Who will appoint the board members?" But they asked meeting participants for suggestions about how to go about this. This will be an early sign of the Foundation's independence. If it's a small board, then the two CCF members will wield considerable influence; not so much if it is a big, diverse board. So we'll watch for that, as we watch for who is appointed to the board. If indeed they tap someone who was prominent in Save Lakewood Hospital, I'll take that as a sign that they are on the right track. If it is mostly people connected to CCF or City Hall, then the suspicions voiced here will be proven correct.

Paul

I would ask, if pretending to arrange the crumbs left from a feast of vultures can cure anything? While it is important that we as residents do the best we can with the crumbs that are left, until the community addresses the real sickness, and cures the actual cause of the gash, can we really even think of healing.

With the election of two new young council members both pledging to work openly, honestly and respecting the people is certainly a start. Why not take this time for the residents with all of council call for an end to the war, and release all of the documents. EVERYTHING, let's put it all on the table now, and take major steps towards healing the city.

OR, even better have council ask for an outside investigation into all the shenanigans that went on. Not the piece meal BS going document by selected document, ask professionals come in, and then and only then can we even start to believe city hall again.

We all want to believe city hall and our elected leaders, but we have all been seriously played by City Hall and perhaps members of the School Board. I for one never remember any of the prebuilding talk of a public rec center at the high school, letting unregulated people in, to mingle with students. I do not remember anyone talking of the CCF medical station needing insurance to enter. Hell, had they mentioned that we could of been spared months of Mike Summers Rec Center and Natatorium talk.

The School Board remained suspiciously silent through all of, while the current City Council sat on their hands while the Mayor, the Clinic, The Law Director, and others had their way with all of us. Then actively worked to hide, destroy and change public documents while thugs threatened and intimidated those that dare to question their acts.

Let's all join with the new council on a complete investigation from outside, then and only then can we truly heal and move on together as the community we once were before this nightmare started.

I concur with Mr. O'Bryan's recommendation that all the requested documents be released immediately. Further, the City needs to make an express commitment to honor the Ohio Sunshine laws. The City has taken steps to defend itself in the Essi Mandamus Action that are a real deterrent to future requests by citizens for public records. Records are sitting on servers that the City refused to even search! Mr. Essi has spent literally years trying to get documents from the City. The City has acted in bad faith in this case and others. I can only question its integrity.

After almost three years of reviewing documents and talking with concerned citizens, I concur with Mr. O'Bryan's recommendation that an independent investigation be conducted into the malfeasance/misfeasance/nonfeasance associated with the hospital transaction and related issues, including all of the potential misdemeanor violations of Ohio law that have so far been identified.

Nadhal Eadeh

Postby Nadhal Eadeh » Sun Nov 19, 2017 10:37 pm

I concur with Mr. Kindt and Mr. O’Bryan, I’d like to see an independent investigation into the closing of Lakewood Hospital. Despite what Lakewood’s economic development gurus tell you, 1,500 jobs lost is a big deal.

Healthcare spending in the United States is 17% of GDP. Basically 1 in 5 dollars is spent on healthcare. Lakewood deserves more than crumbs. Any democrat in the United States outside of Lakewood would have fought to protect Medicare and Medicaid patients at Lakewood Hospital. Not in the alternative universe called Lakewood.

Kate McCarthy

Postby Kate McCarthy » Sun Nov 19, 2017 10:47 pm

Nadhal Eadeh wrote:I concur with Mr. Kindt and Mr. O’Bryan, I’d like to see an independent investigation into the closing of Lakewood Hospital. Despite what Lakewood’s economic development gurus tell you, 1,500 jobs lost is a big deal.

Healthcare spending in the United States is 17% of GDP. Basically 1 in 5 dollars is spent on healthcare. Lakewood deserves more than crumbs. Any democrat in the United States outside of Lakewood would have fought to protect Medicare and Medicaid patients at Lakewood Hospital. Not in the alternative universe called Lakewood.

Nadhal, please come back to Lakewood and run for office.

Return to “Lakewood General Discussions”