Be a part of shaping the future of the remaining funds from Lakewood Hospital

The jumping off discussion area for the rest of the Deck. All things Lakewood.
Please check out our other sections. As we refile many discussions from the past into
their proper sections please check them out and offer suggestions.

Moderators: Jim DeVito, Dan Alaimo

Bill Call

Re: Be a part of shaping the future of the remaining funds from Lakewood Hospital

Postby Bill Call » Mon Nov 13, 2017 11:31 am

Mark Kindt wrote:I will also pose a couple of questions and solicit reader comments:

Does the city council possess rights either by statute or charter that will permit it to vote on task force recommendations or New Foundation formation?

If so, how do those rights affect the Master Agreement?

Wasn't this all decided on December 21, 2015?

I simply do not know the answers.

Excellent questions.

I don't know why we need a Foundation to pass out City dollars.

Why not seperate the funds and operations
as they do for various enterprise funds?

Mark Kindt

Re: Be a part of shaping the future of the remaining funds from Lakewood Hospital

Postby Mark Kindt » Mon Nov 13, 2017 1:30 pm

Other salient questions for the city administration and the New Foundation Task Force:

Why is the Cleveland Clinic Foundation continuing to hold these public funds?

Why are these distributions both timed and delayed?

Why aren't all of the payments to be made to the New Foundation payable upon incorporation?

Dan Alaimo

Postby Dan Alaimo » Mon Nov 13, 2017 6:38 pm

I just shared this discussion the the FB page that doesn''t have connections to City Hall.

“Never let a good crisis go to waste." - Winston Churchill (Quote later appropriated by Rahm Emanuel)
Brian Essi

Postby Brian Essi » Mon Nov 13, 2017 8:26 pm

Dan Alaimo wrote:I just shared this discussion the the FB page that doesn''t have connections to City Hall.

Mr. Alaimo,

Do you mean you posted on FB this negative discussion from a negative forum that only 15 or so negative people just post negative stuff?

David Anderson has no legitimate answers
Jim O'Bryan

Postby Jim O'Bryan » Mon Nov 13, 2017 8:37 pm

Brian Essi wrote:
Dan Alaimo wrote:I just shared this discussion the the FB page that doesn''t have connections to City Hall.

Mr. Alaimo,

Do you mean you posted on FB this negative discussion from a negative forum that only 15 or so negative people just post negative stuff?

Also known as the place that broke the story on how City Hall lied and sold out our city, in the biggest deal in this city's history and the only place that allows open discussion of those facts.

Jim O'Bryan
Lakewood Resident

"The very act of observing disturbs the system."
Werner Heisenberg

"If anything I've said seems useful to you, I'm glad.
If not, don't worry. Just forget about it."
His Holiness The Dalai Lama
m buckley

Postby m buckley » Mon Nov 13, 2017 10:52 pm

Brian Essi wrote:

Mr. Alaimo,

Negative? If you insist.
But first we need to label it emotional. Juvenile tantrum, emotional.
Big Daddy shaking his head at all that emotional. Until it gets old.Till it wears thin.
Then we're on to vitriol. All together now... Vitriol.

We're not done.
Let's go beat that thing we beat the best, The Deck.
Let's talk tone. Tone and numbers. That's the ticket.
The 15 or 8 or 2 whichever fits the narrative.
Because we're not talking about the lies.
We're not talking about Sunshine laws.
We're not talking about the SLAPP lawsuit.
We're sure as hell are not talking about Kevin Butler withholding public records.

We're talking tone.
With a capital T and that rhymes with P and that stands for pretense.

" City Council is a 7-member communications army." Colin McEwen December 10, 2015.
Brian Essi

Postby Brian Essi » Tue Nov 14, 2017 8:59 am

Bill Call wrote:
Mark Kindt wrote:I will also pose a couple of questions and solicit reader comments:

Does the city council possess rights either by statute or charter that will permit it to vote on task force recommendations or New Foundation formation?

If so, how do those rights affect the Master Agreement?

Wasn't this all decided on December 21, 2015?

I simply do not know the answers.

Excellent questions.

I don't know why we need a Foundation to pass out City dollars.

Why not seperate the funds and operations
as they do for various enterprise funds?

Gents,

The answer is: There ain’t no rules—the new charter does not matter. From CityHall’s perspective, rules, laws, charters ect are simply things to get around.

David Anderson has no legitimate answers
Jim O'Bryan

Postby Jim O'Bryan » Tue Nov 14, 2017 11:05 am

m buckley wrote:
Brian Essi wrote:

Mr. Alaimo,

Negative? If you insist.
But first we need to label it emotional. Juvenile tantrum, emotional.
Big Daddy shaking his head at all that emotional. Until it gets old.Till it wears thin.
Then we're on to vitriol. All together now... Vitriol.

We're not done.
Let's go beat that thing we beat the best, The Deck.
Let's talk tone. Tone and numbers. That's the ticket.
The 15 or 8 or 2 whichever fits the narrative.
Because we're not talking about the lies.
We're not talking about Sunshine laws.
We're not talking about the SLAPP lawsuit.
We're sure as hell are not talking about Kevin Butler withholding public records.

We're talking tone.
With a capital T and that rhymes with P and that stands for pretense.

When you can't attack the facts the messengers bring, they attack the messengers.

So what if some looted the community of millions in assets for their friends, "the people caught us were mean!"

"Especially when we lied to them, and hid public records that proved we were corrupt."

As I have said before, if I am about to get hit by a bus, I really do not care how the warning is worded.

Jim O'Bryan
Lakewood Resident

"The very act of observing disturbs the system."
Werner Heisenberg

"If anything I've said seems useful to you, I'm glad.
If not, don't worry. Just forget about it."
His Holiness The Dalai Lama
bentleymike

Postby bentleymike » Tue Nov 14, 2017 11:35 am

Thanks for hijacking the point of the original post. I'm disappointed that, as a LO supporter & advertiser, that it's gone down this road. I've been working my ass off the last few months, with all of the others on this task force, on making sure this new foundation doesn't get screwed up, and we do what our residents want and need as a whole. The past is the past. We can't change that. I'm strictly focused on the future of our community. MY COMMUNITY THAT I'M RAISING MY KIDS IN. I'm convinced that we're on the correct path & that it doesn't correlate with anything any of you are implying. If I felt otherwise, I wouldn't be involved. I feel many of you have knocked my integrity, as well as the others I'm working with on the foundation planning task force. You don't have to agree with what the process was, or that there is going to be this foundation. What you should agree with is that this is the future of our funds. Do something, or do nothing. If you choose to do nothing to help shape that, please don't complain. Myself and any other's on our task force are open to having REAL conversations with people who actually care about the impacts this can have on EVERYONE within our community.

Here are some truths:

1. The funding is the way it is, because it's the way the Clinic & the City could compromise. I wish the payments were all up front, but they aren't. Unfortunately, none of us can change that now.
2. CCF only has first rights of refusal over their $8MM pool of funds.
3. The Clinic does NOT have veto power over the structure of the board, outside of their 2 positions.
4. NOTHING has been decided as to structure, bylaws, or board composition or size. THAT'S THE WHOLE POINT OF TOMORROW'S COMMUNITY CONVERSATION!

Show up and have a conversation to how we can make sure this best fits, or don't. Show up to our monthly meetings, or don't. If you don't, then don't complain. We take public comment, and some, like Dean Dilzell & Pam Wetula (both of whom show up to almost every meeting & subcommittee meeting), have given us some impactful feedback.

Don't question my integrity.

Don't question the transparency. This is/will be one of the most transparent processes this city has ever seen. We're making sure of that.

Mike Bentley
Mark Kindt

Postby Mark Kindt » Tue Nov 14, 2017 1:17 pm

Mr. Bentley, I wish you and the task force the very best of luck in your efforts. I appreciate your effort and your task force's efforts to be inclusive and transparent as possible.

I understand that you are stuck with the terms of the Master Agreement. ---Indeed, sadly enough, aren't we all!

Please keep in mind, that many of us are deeply frustrated by misrepresentations made to us by our city administration and the refusal of the city administration to timely or adequately comply with the Ohio sunshine laws.

Many of us have reasonable concerns that public funds have been diverted to this initiative through improprieties of our public officials. These improprieties have been the subject (and still are the subject) of litigation.

(I, for one, am still trying to figure out what actually happened and what the consequences might be of all of this. That is why I have chosen to write on the Deck for the past 12 months.)

I applaud your commitment to public service. In that role, you will often be faced with dissenting opinions. This is how democracy works. Citizens in a Republic can be an unruly bunch.

To the extent, that I made an erroneous interpretation, I did promptly post a correction notice. If that was insufficient for your purposes, I am happy to do more.

Thread-drift is inherent in the medium that we are using here.

bentleymike

Be a Part of Shaping Our Community's Future-The Legacy of Lakewood Hospital Depends on You

Postby bentleymike » Tue Nov 14, 2017 2:23 pm

​What better way to shape the future of your city, and carry on the legacy of Lakewood Hospital, than to give direct feedback to those that are ​working on your behalf? Join the Foundation Planning Task Force at Garfield Middle School, tomorrow, November 15 at 7pm.

You'll get an update on interviews conducted, structure possibilities, and how the group has been, and will continue to communicate with our city.

You'll get a chance to ask questions, mingle, and give direct feedback on what you believe the mission should be, how the board should be composed, the structure, and what other means of communication should be used going forward.

Be a part of the conversation.

Light refreshments will be served.

https://www.facebook.com/events/321914531551308/

Please post comments in separate discussion on this topic.

Mike Bentley
Dan Alaimo

Postby Dan Alaimo » Tue Nov 14, 2017 5:58 pm

I applaud Mike Bentley's efforts to inform all of us and hear what is being said.
I hope the other task force members are equally open.

I plan on going to this meeting, and will take some of the questions along.
Seems to me that the money is what it is, but a question will be: what is it?
Another question is how much control will CCF have over this foundation?
Seems to me the Clinic name has been tarnished here in Lakewood over the past two years, but I don't know how many people agree.

For instance, one thought I've long had is that this foundation money could go toward defraying unreimbursed ambulance bills incurred by Lakewood residents, but I wonder how open the Clinic would be such a use of the foundation moneys.

I'd also like to see fairly short term limits on board members.

“Never let a good crisis go to waste." - Winston Churchill (Quote later appropriated by Rahm Emanuel)

Return to “Lakewood General Discussions”