Council Incumbents Silent on Their Major Accomplishment

The jumping off discussion area for the rest of the Deck. All things Lakewood.
Please check out our other sections. As we refile many discussions from the past into
their proper sections please check them out and offer suggestions.

Moderators: Jim DeVito, Dan Alaimo

Mark Kindt

Re: Council Incumbents Silent on Their Major Accomplishment

Postby Mark Kindt » Wed Sep 27, 2017 8:33 am

I will supplement Mr. Essi's post with a further observation:

We not only lost the broad economic benefits and tax revenues of the balance of the existing lease term (until 2026); we lost any future benefit from any subsequent future lease arrangements post-2026. I made a basic estimate of that loss and it was north of $50M.

As all of the filed lawsuits make abundantly clear, the citizens of Lakewood received shabby treatment from those elected officials that served on the LHA board.

Lori Allen _

Postby Lori Allen _ » Wed Sep 27, 2017 8:44 am

I am surprised that they are silent on this "major accomplishment", as they really don't have very much else to go on. Think about it. What have these folks really done to make the city better? Over their four-year terms in office, have we really seen major improvements in any aspect of the city?

Are we any safer? If so, can these supposed increases in safety be tied to any programs or legislation initiated or supported by any incumbent council member?

Is the city any cleaner? Obviously not.

Have we really attracted any great economic development that actually pays folks a living wage? Where are the Fortune 500, high-tech companies we were promised?

Ask yourself what these folks have really done for you or what they have done to improve your community or neighborhood. In other communities, I see many yard signs for incumbent candidates, while the neighborhood is falling apart and looks like a disaster (Frank Jackson). I feel like knocking on their doors and asking what the incumbent person has done for them.

Don't fall into this trap.

Bill Call

Postby Bill Call » Sat Nov 04, 2017 1:09 pm

The campaign literature from the incumbent Council members has one thing in common.

No mention of the closure of the Hospital. Why?

Solstice Steps? really?

cameron karslake

Postby cameron karslake » Sat Nov 04, 2017 3:51 pm

$6 million for the property under the hospital???

I believe I just read that the city is considering GIVING THE PROPERTY TO THE DEVELOPER FOR FREE OR THE SYMBOLIC AMOUNT OF $1.00.

Anyone else read that? Am I crazy?

Outrageous!

Jim O'Bryan

Postby Jim O'Bryan » Sun Nov 05, 2017 11:19 am

Mark

I find it amazing that not one of the incumbents have run on anything to do with the hospital, even though they all claim, it was an amazing accomplishment and step forward for the entire community. Hmmmmmm loss of nearly 2,000 good jobs, an anchor in DowntowN Lakewood, being replace MAYBE by a pet store and dry cleaner. It is hard to forget, councilman John Litten, both on council and LHA Board never once mentioned it is his campaign two years ago. Are they really ashamed? Doubtful.

I also find it outrageous, that they attack youth on the ballot, after bragging and court the youth vote with the Young Democrats party. Until like so many things out of this group, we find out the Young Democrats had nothing to do with it. And a much younger democrat was not allowed entry into the event.

Lakewoodites are not as stupid as this group wants, and needs to play them. I come from the Class of 72, no longer proudly, and many of my classmates friends of the mayor and others* can see just how bad, how ugly and how troubling it all is. Most are afraid to speak up for some form of retaliation from City Hall, or "friends of city hall." Welcome to Lakewood.

Later today I will post FOR FREE campaign literature, and highlight again, just how badly they lie, and bend facts, just so they can get reelected again, and continue both the coverup of facts, and continue the debacle over the hospital, that it would appears only benefits friends of the Mayor. And judging by who is paying for all of their literature and campaigning, that would also include the incumbents.

So the best move, the most positive move, and the fasest way to heal the city and community. Let three new sets of eyes, younger eyes, onto council. And let's get this all out in the open, so that we can move on again as a healthy happy community, where people are not afraid to talk.

Jim O'Bryan
Lakewood Resident

"The very act of observing disturbs the system."
Werner Heisenberg

"If anything I've said seems useful to you, I'm glad.
If not, don't worry. Just forget about it."
His Holiness The Dalai Lama
cmager

Postby cmager » Sun Nov 05, 2017 7:23 pm

Jim O'Bryan wrote:Mark

I find it amazing that not one of the incumbents have run on anything to do with the hospital, even though they all claim, it was an amazing accomplishment and step forward for the entire community. Hmmmmmm loss of nearly 2,000 good jobs, an anchor in DowntowN Lakewood, being replace MAYBE by a pet store and dry cleaner. It is hard to forget, councilman John Litten, both on council and LHA Board never once mentioned it is his campaign two years ago. Are they really ashamed? Doubtful.

I also find it outrageous, that they attack youth on the ballot, after bragging and court the youth vote with the Young Democrats party. Until like so many things out of this group, we find out the Young Democrats had nothing to do with it. And a much younger democrat was not allowed entry into the event.

Lakewoodites are not as stupid as this group wants, and needs to play them. I come from the Class of 72, no longer proudly, and many of my classmates friends of the mayor and others* can see just how bad, how ugly and how troubling it all is. Most are afraid to speak up for some form of retaliation from City Hall, or "friends of city hall." Welcome to Lakewood.

Later today I will post FOR FREE campaign literature, and highlight again, just how badly they lie, and bend facts, just so they can get reelected again, and continue both the coverup of facts, and continue the debacle over the hospital, that it would appears only benefits friends of the Mayor. And judging by who is paying for all of their literature and campaigning, that would also include the incumbents.

So the best move, the most positive move, and the fasest way to heal the city and community. Let three new sets of eyes, younger eyes, onto council. And let's get this all out in the open, so that we can move on again as a healthy happy community, where people are not afraid to talk.

In other words, Mr. O'Bryan, your three new sets of eyes are named Brian Taubman, Tristan Rader, Meghan George. Vote!

Bill Call

Postby Bill Call » Fri Apr 13, 2018 8:28 am

Is Tom Bullock campaigning against open records laws?

Is he campaigning in support of closing Fairview Hospital?

Will his campaign ignore his major accomplishment on Lakewood City Council?

Nadhal Eadeh

Postby Nadhal Eadeh » Sun Apr 15, 2018 9:51 am

Bill,

According to Tom Bullocks website, he makes no mention of his internal elephant:

“For ten years, Tom Bullock has served his community as a councilperson and shown he can get things done for residents. He’ll be the strong voice we need Columbus who will:

• Put the needs of working families first
Bring back jobs and opportunities to Ohio
• Fight against steep state cuts to our cities and schools
• Rebuild our crumbling infrastructure
• Restore state tools for economic growth and environmental protection
• Stand up for the rights of all, especially vulnerable groups like LGBTQ, senior, and disabled Ohioans
• Ensure first responders and safety forces have the resources”

I’d like to thank the “Lakewood Democratic Party”? for assisting in the closure of the city’s largest employer. Your steadfast support for demolishing a public good is greatly appreciated.

I’m still dismayed by the fact that the residents of Lakewood have not had their representatives ask for a Department of Justice investigation or an Ohio Attorney Generals Audit?

Nadhal

Bill Call

Postby Bill Call » Sun Apr 15, 2018 10:41 am

Nadhal Eadeh wrote:Bill,

I’m still dismayed by the fact that the residents of Lakewood have not had their representatives ask for a Department of Justice investigation or an Ohio Attorney Generals Audit?

Nadhal

You are right to be dismayed.

Since an independent audit would reveal a lot that the City prefers to be kept secret the independent audit will never happen.

Nadhal Eadeh

Postby Nadhal Eadeh » Sun Apr 15, 2018 12:50 pm

Bill,

Its shocking.

As the saying goes, elections have consequences. We now have three council members that were not part of the 7-0 vote. Elected due to the economic blackhole in the center of the city and the anger towards incumbents who voted to close the hospital, these council members have the ability to shift the debate, yet they have remained silent.

I'll tell you first hand how federal and state agencies operate on investigations: its called public pressure and public opinion. When are we getting an audit or a demand for a DOJ investigation?

Every issue is important. However, the most important issue is your local economy. Tom Bullock claims he's a progressive. I ask this to the Lakewood Democratic Party "What is progressive about closing your largest employer, tanking your local economy and making seniors go outside of your community for care?".

Nadhal

Dan Alaimo

Postby Dan Alaimo » Sun Apr 15, 2018 2:10 pm

Nadhal,
To be real about it, that last election hinged on a dog. Now that the Pitbull issue is settled we will see what happens.

“Never let a good crisis go to waste." - Winston Churchill (Quote later appropriated by Rahm Emanuel)
Bill Call

Postby Bill Call » Mon Aug 26, 2019 10:12 am

It is a good time for Council candidates to discuss their major accomplishments while on council.

Jim O'Bryan

Postby Jim O'Bryan » Tue Aug 27, 2019 6:06 am

Dan Alaimo wrote:Nadhal,
To be real about it, that last election hinged on a dog. Now that the Pitbull issue is settled we will see what happens.

Dan

That is pretty hard on the good residents of Lakewood that thought through the lies and smoke by the administration and council to see the truth and know they were being lied too. Where Jennifer Scott and Greg Murray drummed up support for Pit Bulls, others drummed up support for cleaning up the mess FitzGerald and Summers had brought down on Lakewood.

To say Lakewoodites chose pit bulls over losing $248 million(over ten years) makes them seem illogical and compassionate.

This time I am betting on Lakewood finally understanding, you do not tear down a public health institution, and replace it with ice cream, dry cleaning, cafe, and offices for those that took everything, without the people of Lakewood calling foul.

I mean Sam has to be pleased that the many that helped him gather so much money at "the 9" downtown, made a bundle from the closing of the hospital. That should many him eager to talk. And John Litten was working to close Lakewood Hospital while on LHA before he was given all of the support he got from Ed and Mike and was pushed onto council. That should be all John brags about after working on it nearly as long as Mike, and Ed have been.

Jim O'Bryan
Lakewood Resident

"The very act of observing disturbs the system."
Werner Heisenberg

"If anything I've said seems useful to you, I'm glad.
If not, don't worry. Just forget about it."
His Holiness The Dalai Lama
Michael Deneen

Postby Michael Deneen » Tue Aug 27, 2019 6:57 am

So far the only Lakewood candidate I've seen talking about issues is Laura Rodriguez Carbone in Ward 1.
She actually raised the "dispatch regionalization" issue, which O'Leary quickly dismissed as "silly".

Return to “Lakewood General Discussions”