Butler's Magical Thinking: Whatever City Hall Hid From Us Was "Laid Bare" Because We Voted on Issue 64

The jumping off discussion area for the rest of the Deck. All things Lakewood.
Please check out our other sections. As we refile many discussions from the past into
their proper sections please check them out and offer suggestions.

Moderators: Jim DeVito, Dan Alaimo

Brian Essi

Butler's Magical Thinking: Whatever City Hall Hid From Us Was "Laid Bare" Because We Voted on Issue 64

Postby Brian Essi » Tue Aug 15, 2017 7:31 pm

In writing to the Supreme Court of Ohio, in May, 2017 (see document below), Law Director Butler argued that City Hall can hide things from the public during a referendum via open meetings violations, and if the public participates by voting for the City Hall action without knowing what was hidden from them, that means the public engaged in the same "deliberative process" as if the public knew what City Hall hid from them in violation of open meetings because the things hidden form the public in violation of open meetings laws are somehow magically "laid bare by the people's direct participation" in the election.

In fact, Butler made those claims before the Supreme Court in Skindell v. Madigan while he continued to proactively conceal the things in the Essi v. Lakewood public records case that were hidden from the public that Butler claimed were magically "laid bare" by the public voting in the dark.

Folks, I'm not making this up.

This is what Butler actually signed his name to and filed in the Ohio Supreme Court in May of 2017:

"When the people have the ability to approve or reject an ordinance, an alleged violation of the
Sunshine Laws is of no import because the people themselves participate in the deliberative
process and render the underlying allegation moot. Whatever may have been hidden from the
public by the legislative body is laid bare by the people’s direct participation."

Butler's Bizarre Argument to Ohio Supreme Court.pdf
(205.76 KiB) Downloaded 430 times

Give me ten men like Butler and I could destroy the world.

David Anderson has no legitimate answers
Brian Essi

Re: Butler's Magical Thinking: Whatever City Hall Hid From Us Was "Laid Bare" Because We Voted on Issue 64

Postby Brian Essi » Wed Aug 16, 2017 7:11 am

cmager wrote:What can be done to expeditiously remove these evils from office and position?

The following images just popped into my head when I read your question.

Jim O'Bryan

Re: Butler's Magical Thinking: Whatever City Hall Hid From Us Was "Laid Bare" Because We Voted on Issue 64

Postby Jim O'Bryan » Fri Aug 18, 2017 10:06 am

"When the people have the ability to approve or reject an ordinance, an alleged violation of the
Sunshine Laws is of no import because the people themselves participate in the deliberative
process and render the underlying allegation moot. Whatever may have been hidden from the
public by the legislative body is laid bare by the people’s direct participation."

So the architect, of the cover-up, the person that fought every public record request on this for 2 years, and also used Summers Campaign funds to publish a one off paper filled with missinformation and outright lies about the facts of the hospital, claims.

The public had enough of the facts to vote!!!!!

Disgusting.

Jim O'Bryan
Lakewood Resident

"The very act of observing disturbs the system."
Werner Heisenberg

"If anything I've said seems useful to you, I'm glad.
If not, don't worry. Just forget about it."
His Holiness The Dalai Lama
Bridget Conant

Postby Bridget Conant » Fri Aug 18, 2017 11:38 am

No where in our legal system is the idea that a decision or agreement based on misinformation is held valid.

In a divorce, a monetary settlement is predicated on the idea that both sides disclosed whatever assets each party held. After signing documents, if it comes to light that assets were concealed from the other party, that is financial misfeasance and the agreement can be renegotiated.

Contracts cannot be enforced if there was a material misrepresentation of facts used to come to the agreement.

So how is it that citizens who were not privy to all the facts, or who were misled as to the facts, can somehow vote and their lack of knowledge of the nuts and bolts of the contract or ordinance can be ignored?

It seems to me there is ample precedent in law to show that hiding material facts and details of a contract would be sufficient to overturn that contract in virtually every other situation.

Brian Essi

Postby Brian Essi » Fri Aug 18, 2017 4:15 pm

Speaking of things to be "laid bare," on August 16, 2017 (2 days ago) I received over 21,000 pages of public records pursuant to a Court Order allegedly responsive to 58 public records requests (PRRs)---many, many, many "pages" were duplicated over and over and over so the real number of pages is somewhat exaggerated.

I have only made it through a small portion of the shuffled deck so far, but I can say a high degree of confidence that several things about the process that led to 49-15 and the Master Agreement have just been "laid bare" for the first time two days ago.

Laid Bare

Ehrenbreitstein
Lord Byron (1788–1824)

(From Childe Harold’s Pilgrimage)

HERE Ehrenbreitstein, with her shattered wall
Black with the miner’s blast, upon her height
Yet shows of what she was, when shell and ball
Rebounding idly on her strength did light:
A tower of victory, from whence the flight 5
Of baffled foes was watched along the plain:
But Peace destroyed what War could never blight,
And laid those proud roofs bare to summer’s rain,
On which the iron shower for years had poured in vain.

m buckley

Postby m buckley » Fri Aug 18, 2017 6:46 pm

Brian Essi wrote:Speaking of things to be "laid bare," on August 16, 2017 (2 days ago) I received over 21,000 pages of public records pursuant to a Court Order allegedly responsive to 58 public records requests (PRRs)---many, many, many "pages" were duplicated over and over and over so the real number of pages is somewhat exaggerated.

I have only made it through a small portion of the shuffled deck so far, but I can say a high degree of confidence that several things about the process that led to 49-15 and the Master Agreement have just been "laid bare" for the first time two days ago.

Laid Bare

Ehrenbreitstein
Lord Byron (1788–1824)

Mr. Essi,
Thank you.
Thank you for not Moving On.
Thank you for not Compromising with Corruption.
You and others who insist on the Truth, who refuse to quit on the Truth, continue to inspire.

" City Council is a 7-member communications army." Colin McEwen December 10, 2015.
dl meckes

Postby dl meckes » Fri Aug 18, 2017 8:31 pm

Bravo, Citizen Essi.

Your tenacious search for truth has been inspirational.

A small noble act, like a lone candle, seems to shine more brightly in a darker place. It is more precious and more dire.

“One of they key problems today is that politics is such a disgrace. Good people don’t go into government.”- 45
Brian Essi

Postby Brian Essi » Sun Aug 20, 2017 5:56 am

m buckley wrote:
Brian Essi wrote:Speaking of things to be "laid bare," on August 16, 2017 (2 days ago) I received over 21,000 pages of public records pursuant to a Court Order allegedly responsive to 58 public records requests (PRRs)---many, many, many "pages" were duplicated over and over and over so the real number of pages is somewhat exaggerated.

Laid Bare

Ehrenbreitstein
Lord Byron (1788–1824)

Mr. Essi,
Thank you.
Thank you for not Moving On.
Thank you for not Compromising with Corruption.
You and others who insist on the Truth, who refuse to quit on the Truth, continue to inspire.

Mr. Buckley,

Thank you, but I am only a simple conduit, vessel and agent--if any Truth has come or will come from what I have done, the credit is not mine.

For over a year, Matt Markling and his law firm (including attorneys Sean Koran and Patrick Vrobel), and more recently Marc Dann and his law firm (including attorney Donna Kolis) have fought for the Truth---to enforce the Ohio Public Records Acts on behalf of the people of Lakewood--these fine lawyers have enabled me to assume the nominee title "State of Ohio, Ex Relator, Brian J. Essi" essentially, an agent.

Much like Ms. Meckes and other did for the taxpayers.

Return to “Lakewood General Discussions”