Please sign to reform redistricting, and end gerrymandering

The jumping off discussion area for the rest of the Deck. All things Lakewood.
Please check out our other sections. As we refile many discussions from the past into
their proper sections please check them out and offer suggestions.

Moderators: Jim DeVito, Dan Alaimo

mjkuhns

Please sign to reform redistricting, and end gerrymandering

Postby mjkuhns » Sat Jun 03, 2017 11:16 am

I would like to invite everyone to sign your name in support of a ballot measure to reform congressional redistricting.

Very briefly, this proposed measure would assign congressional redistricting to the same bipartisan commission which will be responsible for statehouse redistricting. The reform to statehouse redistricting passed overwhelmingly in 2015; the Fair Districts = Fair Elections coalition proposes to make the same reform to congressional redistricting.

Impact for Lakewood

Beyond the fact that this matters to all Ohio, I feel that this is also a Lakewood issue, because our city is one of the prime examples of a community ill-served by gerrymandered districts drawn under the current system. Lakewood is currently at the far edge of a congressional district stretching out from Toledo. Sprawling districts like these dilute the representation of communities at the fringe. They also make it more difficult for anyone to challenge an incumbent, since challengers have to build awareness in multiple media markets.

Even as someone who is generally pleased with Rep. Marcy Kaptur’s work in Washington, I would like to see Lakewood rejoined to a local district, instead of being tethered to a city halfway across the state.

But to do that we need to reform the redistricting process for congress. To do that, we need to get reform on the ballot.

Please sign a petition!

Plenty of people will be circulating them, but I would be delighted to get your signature whenever is convenient. I'm going to hang out at the Root Café for a while this afternoon, between 2 and 4. (I look like this.) But also feel free to contact me, and I'll bring my petition book to you.

Thank you!

:: matt kuhns ::
Lori Allen _

Re: Please sign to reform redistricting, and end gerrymandering

Postby Lori Allen _ » Sat Jun 03, 2017 12:33 pm

Everybody, please sign. Maybe we could get Dennis Kucinich to run again. He and Mike Skindell are the only honest and moral politicians ever to represent Lakewood!

Dan Alaimo

Postby Dan Alaimo » Sat Jun 03, 2017 12:34 pm

Because of redistricting, we lost Dennis Kucinich who had his office in Lakewood and genuinely cared for our community.
You can count on my signature, Matt. I'll try to get to the Root this afternoon.

“Never let a good crisis go to waste." - Winston Churchill (Quote later appropriated by Rahm Emanuel)
Lori Allen _

Postby Lori Allen _ » Sat Jun 03, 2017 12:39 pm

With having such a big area to cover, I do not feel that Ms. Kaptur did a very good job representing Lakewood.

She did, however, endorse Mr. Summers for Mayor in the last election.

mjkuhns

Postby mjkuhns » Sat Jun 03, 2017 5:14 pm

Thank you for the responses here and by e-mail, etc., and to those who dropped by to sign this afternoon. It's very exciting that people get this, and share the interest in improving the system.

I will continue collecting signatures, so if you want to know where you can sign in Lakewood, just reach out.

mjkuhns

Postby mjkuhns » Thu Jun 08, 2017 3:47 pm

I will be out with my redistricting-reform petition book again, this Saturday. Come find me at the Root Café, from 4 to 6 p.m. Saturday afternoon. (This is me.)

Interest has been encouraging, thanks to all who have signed so far!

The reform coalition has plenty of information on its web site, but here are three brief reasons I came up with to explain what we want to change about how congressional districts are drawn in Ohio:
  1. Clear, simple rules for district shapes. Right now the legislature is free to slice up counties and cities. This measure would keep nearly all cities and counties whole, with one representative to hold responsible instead of multiple reps vaguely sharing responsibility.
  2. Competitive elections for congress. Right now, regardless of party, incumbents basically have guaranteed reelection in every district in Ohio. By putting a stop to gerrymandered districts, members of congress will have to be more answerable to the electorate.
  3. A fair and open process. Instead of state legislators being able to draw district maps behind closed doors, citizens will have the right to observe the process, and even propose district maps.
Help Ohio slay the gerrymander.

mjkuhns

Postby mjkuhns » Fri Dec 01, 2017 11:37 pm

Updates:

Yes, we're still working on this. Progress is very good (indeed Ohio record setting) for an all-volunteer effort, but there's further to go.

Saturday 12/2 is a big day in Lakewood:

From 9-10 at the Root Café, you can sign a petition with Heather; I'm sure she'll be easy to spot and happy to answer any questions you have.

Starting 4pm at Light Up Lakewood, a number of us will be circulating about with petitions. Please sign one if you haven't yet. (A fair districts ballot measure is truly a gift that keeps on giving, without increasing your January credit card bill!)

Thanks everyone!

mjkuhns

Postby mjkuhns » Mon Dec 18, 2017 9:58 pm

An open petition-signing opportunity in Lakewood, Tuesday, December 19.

From 5 to 7 you can visit me at 11910 Detroit Rd (offices of the Cuyahoga County Progressive Caucus).

Think of it as a "pop-up shop" for redistricting reform. :wink:

Return to “Lakewood General Discussions”