Essi claim blatantly false - immediate retraction and apology to the community demanded

The jumping off discussion area for the rest of the Deck. All things Lakewood.
Please check out our other sections. As we refile many discussions from the past into
their proper sections please check them out and offer suggestions.

Moderators: Jim DeVito, Dan Alaimo

Bridget Conant

Re: Essi claim blatantly false - immediate retraction and apology to the community demanded

Postby Bridget Conant » Fri Oct 14, 2016 8:34 am

I asked WHY no one spoke out about the Dem Club purge or the fake newspaper.

When you remain silent on this type of activity, it diminishes your credibility.

If you choose to remain silent to these issues, it appears that you think it's OK. If that conduct is acceptable to you, then why wouldn't a person believe that you would accept fudging facts or misleading constituents?

Again, someone who stood up and spoke out against shenanigans would would be far more believable when they argue that the "deal" was all above board. As it stands, you and others on council have refused to insist on the type of behavior that would show your commitment to a higher ideal.

Lori Allen _

Re: Essi claim blatantly false - immediate retraction and apology to the community demanded

Postby Lori Allen _ » Fri Oct 14, 2016 8:50 am

Bridget,
Read my two most recent posts on the thread "Mr. Anderson, Can you please reconcile your statements." I asked him to release the Public records and also to answer some pretty tough questions about what is happening in Lakewood, with documentation, including the allegations of racism. NO reply. You ask for the truth, and that is what you get! Nothing!

Why are they tearing down the south medical building prior to the election other than to make people think this is a done deal? What are they going to do when they don't succeed? I am sure the Lakewood residents would rather have brand new roads and more Police than a pile of rubble! Council and Summers can spew all they want. Most people in Lakewood are on to their antics now and believe they are alleged crooks that are stealing our city from us one property and one dollar at a time!

Meg Ostrowski

Postby Meg Ostrowski » Fri Oct 14, 2016 11:12 am

David Anderson wrote:The Family Health Center and fully accredited ER will be able to do all or more than the former hospital did except admit you overnight.

So "all" emergency interventions, outpatient surgeries, diagnostics and procedures like colonoscopies will be performed there?

David Anderson wrote:However, any FHC patient that needs a bed will have preferential patient status at Fairview which guarantees a bed.

So if I come into Fairview and they see I’m a Lakewood FHC patient, I get to move to the front of the bed line? (I would hope they first give preference to the patient that needs it the most and then to the patient that has waited the longest, rather than to the patient with status.)

Where can I find the details and guarantees that back up these claims?

“There could be anywhere from 1 to over 50,000 Lakewoods at any time. I’m good with any of those numbers, as long as it’s just not 2 Lakewoods.” -Stephen Davis
Lori Allen _

Postby Lori Allen _ » Fri Oct 14, 2016 11:20 am

I guess that means that trauma cases can be handled at the new "Urgi-Care", and they will have trauma surgeons and specialty physicians either there or on an on call stat status. So what is better? Sparkles on the band aids?

cmager

Postby cmager » Fri Oct 14, 2016 1:12 pm

Meg Ostrowski wrote:
David Anderson wrote:The Family Health Center and fully accredited ER will be able to do all or more than the former hospital did except admit you overnight.

So "all" emergency interventions, outpatient surgeries, diagnostics and procedures like colonoscopies will be performed there?
David Anderson wrote:However, any FHC patient that needs a bed will have preferential patient status at Fairview which guarantees a bed.

So if I come into Fairview and they see I’m a Lakewood FHC patient, I get to move to the front of the bed line? (I would hope they first give preference to the patient that needs it the most and then to the patient that has waited the longest, rather than to the patient with status.) Where can I find the details and guarantees that back up these claims?

Yes, this. Mr. Anderson please direct us.

T Peppard

Postby T Peppard » Sat Oct 15, 2016 1:50 am

Kate McCarthy wrote:
David Anderson wrote:It's 7:24 a.m. on Thursday, October 13 and, let me check, yes, the City still owns the hospital building and the 5.7 acres under it.

The problem is that Lakewood voters starting casting ballots yesterday and the headline "...Cleveland Clinic paid $9.6 Million ... For Lakewood Hospital" is live, active and has yet to be retracted or corrected by its author.

Supporting documents? Try the Dec. 21, 2015 Master Agreement, which put in place the contracts for the City to be paid in the ways I detailed. You, Mr. Essi, fail to include the $6.5M contracted to come to the City in 2018 or the increase in annual lease payments. (You aren't refuting the fact that the City is receiving more in lease payments under this executed deal than it would have under the recently terminated lease, are you?)

Again, the headline and corresponding article needs to be replaced by anything, maybe the weather forecast. I don't know.

David W. Anderson
Member of Council, Ward One
216-789-6463
david.anderson@lakewoodoh.net

I don't recall hearing anything from you last year when this was published by our former mayor and current law director. Talk about a misleading headline.
Yes, Kate. I completely agree. It was a bold face lie. The funding source makes it even more upsetting.

Councilman Anderson, Please retract it, correct it and let's move on...
Attachments
fakepaper.jpg
fakepaper.jpg (16.68 KiB) Viewed 4641 times

T Peppard

Postby T Peppard » Sat Oct 15, 2016 6:59 am

Bridget Conant wrote:
David Anderson wrote:It's 7:24 a.m. on Thursday, October 13 and, let me check, yes, the City still owns the hospital building and the 5.7 acres under it.

The problem is that Lakewood voters starting casting ballots yesterday and the headline "...Cleveland Clinic paid $9.6 Million ... For Lakewood Hospital" is live, active and has yet to be retracted or corrected by its author.

Supporting documents? Try the Dec. 21, 2015 Master Agreement, which put in place the contracts for the City to be paid in the ways I detailed. You, Mr. Essi, fail to include the $6.5M contracted to come to the City in 2018 or the increase in annual lease payments. (You aren't refuting the fact that the City is receiving more in lease payments under this executed deal than it would have under the recently terminated lease, are you?)

Again, the headline and corresponding article needs to be replaced by anything, maybe the weather forecast. I don't know.

David W. Anderson
Member of Council, Ward One
216-789-6463
david.anderson@lakewoodoh.net

fakepaper.jpg
fakepaper.jpg (16.68 KiB) Viewed 4618 times
Kate McCarthy wrote:I don't recall hearing anything from you last year when this was published by our former mayor and current law director. Talk about a misleading headline.
What Kate said.

No one speaks out against blatant nasty politicking like the Dem Club purge or the fake newspaper funded by disgraced former pol Ed Fitzgerald.

Your silence is assent.

Lakewood's political machinations are no different than what went on in Cuyahoga County - and people went to jail for it.
What Bridget said.

Your silence is assent.

Lakewood's political machinations are no different than what went on in Cuyahoga County - and people went to jail for it.

Enough is enough. A VOTE AGAINST ISSUE 64 is a vote for justice. The master agreement DOES NOT GUARANTEE WE WILL EVEN HAVE AN ER. How safe will your children be? What have you done to our city? Stand up for your constituents - not the corporation. We are a city of over 50,000 - We demand transparency and honesty in our government. Return LHF to the greater good of our constituents- $33M in charity for the poor and underserved. Drooling sideliners, like Jay Carson GREEDILY seeking to benefit millions from this loss are WRONG.

Amy Dilzell

Postby Amy Dilzell » Sat Oct 15, 2016 9:59 pm

David Anderson:

Mr. Monahan -

When and where did I ever say what you quoted?

Sorry to inform you that the contract for the mobile stroke lab has been signed by all parties.

Mr. Anderson,
I believe your contract for a mobile stroke lab may have been discarded...
I just recently learned from Cleveland Clinic personnel (they work at Main Campus) that the 2nd Mobile Stroke unit has been cancelled. The personnel that were going to school and training to be CT technologists for that unit are now being incorporated into the Main Campus CT units. They are being made to complete their training but WILL NOT have a job on a mobile stroke unit as planned. So it looks like 1 mobile stroke unit for the entire Cuyahoga County area is all there is going to be. I am not sure I would want to wait for the arrival of that. So Mr. Monahan is correct....there has been no Mobile Stroke Unit for Lakewood and, unless something changes drastically, there will never be one.

Amy Dilzell

Postby Amy Dilzell » Sat Oct 15, 2016 10:35 pm

David Anderson:

The Family Health Center and fully accredited ER will be able to do all or more than the former hospital did except admit you overnight. (Again, though, two out of every three beds at Lakewood Hospital were empty every night leading up to 2015.). However, any FHC patient that needs a bed will have preferential patient status at Fairview which guarantees a bed.

Mr. Anderson,

The FHC/ER does not provide close to the same level of care as what we had (full service hospital/ER). The "old" ER provided high level care with specialty physicians coming into the ER to help treat and diagnose patients. All we have now is 1 ER physician per shift that has to deal with EVERYTHING. So patients that should be treated by, say an Orthopedic Surgeon, are not getting that. What you get is an ER physician setting/reducing said fracture and, if you need surgery to repair it, having to sit and wait hours to be transferred to another facility. (And pay that extra ambulance $) Now some fractures can wait and be splinted and patients sent on their way to be seen as an outpatient. But you better hope you don't think you will get in right away-the CCF Orthopedic Doctors usually can't get you for days, sometimes over a week, according to patients. Best bet is to try Orthopedic Associates for quicker care. Another example is MRI. In the "old" ER, MRI was on call after hours and could be called in for STAT exams, especially when it came to strokes. Now MRI is only open M-F till 5:30 pm. So, if you need to get a STAT MRI after those hours (or before if the techs were made to leave early because they weren't busy), you have to be TRANSFERRED to another facility and that STAT exam ends up taking hours to get done as opposed to 1 hour in the "old" ER.
And FHC patients getting preferential treatment and a guaranteed bed at Fairview?!! :lol: :lol: How about patients being transferred to SOUTHPOINTE because there are no beds at Fairview-it has happened a few times. How about waiting 8,9 hours for a bed TO OPEN UP at either Fairview OR Lutheran? Happens weekly....how about patients with mental health issues waiting 24, 28 hours for a bed, usually winding up at MARYMOUNT? Happens weekly... So I guess what I am trying to say is, THERE IS NO GUARANTEE you will be admitted to Fairview or Lutheran.
Not the quality care we were guaranteed, not even close...

Mark Kindt

Postby Mark Kindt » Wed Nov 21, 2018 11:17 am

David Anderson wrote:Mr. Essi -

The LHA September of 2015 financial statements were provided to you which shows a book value of the hospital building and land at $20.0 M. This remains in City/taxpayer possession and was not sold as your headline claimed. In addition, the city is receiving lease payments from the Clinic for the continued use of a portion of the building for the ER.

How is it possible to sell something yet still,own it and collect rent?

David Anderson

Thank you, Council-member Anderson for confirming that the LHA book value of the hospital and land is $20M. (This number is consistent with my other estimates posted on the Deck.)

Given the fact that no citizen has access to the LHA books, this finally helps us establish the value of the actual subsidy that is being provided to the selected developer.

1. $20,000,000 -- hospital building and land

2. $7,000,000 -- building demolition, remediation and site preparation

3. $27,000,000 -- TOTAL approximate public subsidy to selected developer.

4. $1.00 -- TOTAL amount to be paid to City of Lakewood for hospital building and land under draft contract with selected developer (version 22).

This substantiates assertions that the city administration has published appraisals that undervalued these assets.

Mark Kindt

Postby Mark Kindt » Thu Nov 22, 2018 11:01 am

Make No Mistake About This.

The City of Lakewood is selling Lakewood Hospital for $1.00.

This is the relevant page that reflects the purchase price in the draft agreement with the developer. (draft version 22).

City of Lakewood - Carnegie Det Agreement 4822-5376-7522v.22 7.jpg
City of Lakewood - Carnegie Det Agreement 4822-5376-7522v.22 7.jpg (468.97 KiB) Viewed 4394 times

Mark Kindt

Postby Mark Kindt » Fri Nov 23, 2018 11:35 am

The Emperor Has No Clothes

Let me be quite clear about this.

The City of Lakewood took a complete bath on the liquidation, closure, and pending $1.00 sale of its invaluable, heritage, publicly-owned hospital.

This is fully reflected in the city's own documents.

I am going to demonstrate that the City of Lakewood got zero, zip, zilch, nada, nothing for its viable award-wining hospital (except, maybe, a future payment of $1.00.)

Mr. Anderson is defending an EPIC public policy failure. Mr. Essi is being more than generous in his assessment of what the City earned, but those earnings do not relate to Lakewood Hospital.

The actual financial return to the City of Lakewood for the liquidation, closure, and sale of Lakewood Hospital is a negative figure.

It's an unmitigated financial disaster. Stay-tuned.

Mark Kindt

Postby Mark Kindt » Fri Nov 23, 2018 4:49 pm

The Dust Has Settled

Now that a few years have passed and the dust has more or less settled, we can use public information and our calculators to answer the question of whether the City of Lakewood made anything at all on the liquidation, closure, and demolition of Lakewood Hospital.

First, we will review the hospital building and land that the City owns and is negotiating to sell to a developer for $1.00.

Guess what? Because Lakewood Hospital is an "off-book" asset, it doesn't exist in any of the published City of Lakewood Comprehensive Annual Financial Reports. So its asset value is a mystery to the public!

However, I am using publicly-available documents to show that the range of loss to the City of Lakewood on these "off-book" assets is significant and undeniable.

I am going to walk us step-by-step, spreadsheet-by-spreadsheet, so that you can dispute my calculations and my conclusions. I think you will be astounded.

Losing Lakewood Hospital 1.jpg
Losing Lakewood Hospital 1.jpg (140.89 KiB) Viewed 4309 times

Mark Kindt

Postby Mark Kindt » Fri Nov 23, 2018 5:49 pm

Lost Asset Value and Lost Revenue Value

Using the City's own data we can see that the liquidation, closure, and demolition of Lakewood Hospital shows a net loss in lease and tax revenues.

My spreadsheet credits the City for its estimated revenues on its post-demolition development project.

I also have attached the PDF of the City's own April 16, 2018 spreadsheet on these topics.

Losing Lakewood Hospital 2.jpg
Losing Lakewood Hospital 2.jpg (133.73 KiB) Viewed 4306 times
Attachments
City Revenues from of the Hospital Transition as of April 16%2C 2018.pdf
(68.66 KiB) Downloaded 182 times

Mark Kindt

Postby Mark Kindt » Fri Nov 23, 2018 5:57 pm

We Took A Complete Bath

Even accepting the City's position that the hospital was non-viable and that the building is worthless, we can see that the range of loss for assets and revenues is significant.

Range of Loss: $18,903,229 to $33,703,028

Return to “Lakewood General Discussions”