It's Over Now, Dead And Gone...A Hospital Commentary And Reflection...

The jumping off discussion area for the rest of the Deck. All things Lakewood.
Please check out our other sections. As we refile many discussions from the past into
their proper sections please check them out and offer suggestions.

Moderators: Jim DeVito, Dan Alaimo

Alex Belisle

Re: It's Over Now, Dead And Gone...A Hospital Commentary And Reflection...

Postby Alex Belisle » Thu Feb 25, 2016 10:28 pm

My reflection, as an outsider from NYC, is that there are a lot of bright, passionate people on the Deck, but all this vitriol is not making any friends or making the Deck an attractive place to share ideas. My guess is that in the last few years, quite a few participants in this project, that had noble aspirations, have left?

Michael Deneen

Postby Michael Deneen » Thu Feb 25, 2016 11:39 pm

Alex Belisle wrote:My reflection, as an outsider from NYC, is that there are a lot of bright, passionate people on the Deck, but all this vitriol is not making any friends or making the Deck an attractive place to share ideas. My guess is that in the last few years, quite a few participants in this project, that had noble aspirations, have left?

The Deck is not "vitriolic". A New Yorker should most assuredly know that.
Have you ever looked at other sites? Cleveland.com is an open sewer.

Anyone who thinks the Deck is tough must have a hard time surviving in real life.

Bill Call

Postby Bill Call » Fri Feb 26, 2016 7:03 am

Gary Rice wrote:I can also tell you the exact moment that the nails were finally driven into the hospital's coffin. I was there. It was right after the Mayor's State of the City address last night, when the applause erupted. Virtually everyone was there too, from the Lakewood School Board, to City Council, to many interested salt-of-the-earth Lakewoodites...we who were there all witnessed it.

You must have been at a different meeting. Take away City officials and City employees and virtually no one else was there.

MAYORS ADDRESS.jpg
MAYORS ADDRESS.jpg (354.85 KiB) Viewed 5625 times

The applause you heard was the sound of one hand clapping.

christopher dan

Postby christopher dan » Fri Feb 26, 2016 7:42 am

wow!!! pictures really do say 1000 words....good call Bill call....

maybe they set up clapping machines to help the audience participate?

Growing your own food that is pesticide and NON GMO-(genetically modified) is the key to health- www.cdan.towergarden.com :D
Michael Deneen

Postby Michael Deneen » Fri Feb 26, 2016 12:53 pm

Quite predictably, Build Lakewood is exploiting Gary's well-intentioned but ill-conceived attempt at "healing" to promote their own agenda. They are posting this thread on Facebook, using its inflammatory headline as a weapon against Hospital protest.

Lori Allen _

Postby Lori Allen _ » Fri Feb 26, 2016 1:03 pm

While well-intentioned, focusing on the enemy is probably futile at this point. Rather, it glorifies them. I feel that time is better spent on things that may actually help the cause.

I also don't feel that Gary should be blamed for this. I don't always agree with him, but he deserves more respect.

FWIW.

Michael Deneen

Postby Michael Deneen » Fri Feb 26, 2016 1:08 pm

Lori Allen _ wrote:I also don't feel that Gary should be blamed for this. I don't always agree with him, but he deserves more respect.

I know that Gary meant no harm. That's not the case for BL, which will use this to further its agenda.

james fitzgibbons

Postby james fitzgibbons » Fri Feb 26, 2016 1:14 pm

Michael Deneen wrote:Quite predictably, Build Lakewood is exploiting Gary's well-intentioned but ill-conceived attempt at "healing" to promote their own agenda. They are posting this thread on Facebook, using its inflammatory headline as a weapon against Hospital protest.

james fitzgibbons

Postby james fitzgibbons » Fri Feb 26, 2016 1:16 pm

james fitzgibbons wrote:
Michael Deneen wrote:Quite predictably, Build Lakewood is exploiting Gary's well-intentioned but ill-conceived attempt at "healing" to promote their own agenda. They are posting this thread on Facebook, using its inflammatory headline as a weapon against Hospital protest.

Never mind!

Lori Allen _

Postby Lori Allen _ » Fri Feb 26, 2016 1:18 pm

I'm not quite sure that Gary is "supporting" the mayor's cause or not. I believe he said several times here on the Deck that he would prefer the hospital to stay open. Regardless of his current feelings, he has the right to have whatever opinion he wants. I feel that some of the rhetoric and borderline name-calling on this thread towards Gary is uncalled for.

Gary, please do not let this discourage you from posting.

I would also like to remind all posters and readers that this is the Lakewood Observer for the whole city and not just the Save Lakewood Hospital Deck.

Marguerite Harkness

Postby Marguerite Harkness » Fri Feb 26, 2016 5:02 pm

Wow, what a GREAT turnout!! Looks like about 60 people: less than 2% of the 3600+ folks who SIGNED the most recent referendum petition to take this issue to the voters.

Gary Rice

Postby Gary Rice » Fri Feb 26, 2016 9:07 pm

Everyone,

And to think that I nearly missed the Mayor's presentation that night... :roll:

I only decided to show up because the other photographers were busy. :shock:

I did see the link to this thread that BL posted. I WISH they had not done that...but....

...the thing to remember here is that they posted not ONLY my hoping-for-peace opinion article, but also this entire thread, including my later clarifications and YOUR very carefully considered remarks that follow.

THEREFORE YOUR PRO-HOSPITAL POSITIONS HERE WERE ALSO THERE. :D

My own outspoken efforts regarding conflict-resolution here on this old 'Deck have been applauded by some, despised by others, corrected by many, and appreciated by a few, at least. I've used the banjo as a symbolic instrument for us all, so that we might imagine some idyllic future day when we all can get together and munch s'mores and roast marshmallows by some mythical campfire, while singing songs of unity and peace. Of course, in the real world, disagreements and discussions are part and parcel to the way things are, and as the Good Book says, the "time for peace" is but one of many times that our human family must go through in this journey of life.

They also know from my piece and in my remarks that followed that I said this is NOT over.

They also know that I DO WANT A HOSPITAL HERE. :D

They also know that I RECOGNIZE AND RESPECT those who have fought for that cause, myself included. :D

Certainly, I would like peace to prevail among us all. That was the WHOLE POINT of my column. At the same time, there are many people who are NOT ready for that.

Remember too:

YOU STILL HAVE THE RIGHT AND INDEED THE RESPONSIBILITY TO AIR YOUR CONCERNS ABOUT ALL OF THIS. My opinions were simply the imperfect opinions of one man who hoped for greater community healing.

(I have to chuckle about the possibility of a loud applause machine that night. That's one theory that I had not considered... :lol:)

A seasoned 'Deck poster also posted his opinion that the loud applause from the Mayor's speech was the sound of one hand clapping. If that would be so, do YOU comprise that other hand? Then your choice could arguably be to either join the clap, or write a rap. :D (Just watch out for a trap! :lol: )

Please remember too that, had I not showed up to report this event, who else would have done so? :shock:

At least you have what I reported to you to go by. :D It's what YOU do that matters now. :shock:

Ah, the twists and turns of history... :roll:

Back to the banjo... :D

Dan Alaimo

Postby Dan Alaimo » Sat Feb 27, 2016 1:05 am

Thank you, Gary, for all that you do, but particularly for the timely reporting.
BL is going to do what it will do and you can't base your writing on that.

“Never let a good crisis go to waste." - Winston Churchill (Quote later appropriated by Rahm Emanuel)
m buckley

Postby m buckley » Sat Feb 27, 2016 10:36 am

Mr. Rice, Thank you for clarifying your position.
Unfortunately, as Mr. Deneen pointed out, BuildLakewood is using your "It's Over Now, Dead and Gone . . ." post on Facebook. I'm wondering if you'd also be willing to clarify your comments in that forum .

" City Council is a 7-member communications army." Colin McEwen December 10, 2015.

Return to “Lakewood General Discussions”