John Simon

The jumping off discussion area for the rest of the Deck. All things Lakewood.
Please check out our other sections. As we refile many discussions from the past into
their proper sections please check them out and offer suggestions.

Moderators: Jim DeVito, Dan Alaimo

Stan Austin
Contributor

John Simon

Postby Stan Austin » Thu Oct 02, 2008 1:34 pm

Jack Simon passed away yesterday.

Jack was affectionately known as the "Mayor of Lakeland Avenue." Jack and his family lived on that street for decades. He was a house painter and the Irish brogue was still rich in his voice.

As is the predilection of most Irish Americans Jack was heavily involved in Democratic politics. He served as precinct committeeman for many years. All one had to do was drive down Lakeland from Detroit to find out the endorsed candidates from all the lawn signs he placed.

Jack is survived by daughter Mary and her daughter. Mary has vigourously continued in her Dad's direction with her political and community activism, and, as a long time employee of the City of Lakewood.

The Lakeland Avenue block parties won't be quite the same without their Mayor.

Stan Austin

sharon kinsella

Postby sharon kinsella » Thu Oct 02, 2008 2:26 pm

I am very saddened by Jack's passing. What a wonderful family, Jack and Mary and Brigid.

Two years ago Jack was given an award by the Dems Club to pay tribute to his contribution.

He will be missed tonight at our meeting.

Bye Jack.

"When I dare to be powerful -- to use my strength in the service of my vision, then it becomes less and less important whether I am afraid." - Audre Lorde
jennifer scott

john Simon

Postby jennifer scott » Thu Oct 02, 2008 2:58 pm

I have had the pleasure of meeting Mary and Brigid, great people. My condolences to both of them.

dl meckes

Postby dl meckes » Thu Oct 02, 2008 3:24 pm

Our condolences to Mary and the family.

Jack was a true village elder and will be missed.

dl meckes

Postby dl meckes » Fri Oct 03, 2008 7:24 am

Friends may call at the McGorray-Hanna funeral home, 14133 Detroit on Saturday, from 5-8 pm and Sunday, 2-4 pm and 6-8 pm. Funeral Mass will be held at St. James Church Monday, Oct. 6th at 10 am.

Return to “Lakewood General Discussions”