bela dubby suggestion box

The jumping off discussion area for the rest of the Deck. All things Lakewood.
Please check out our other sections. As we refile many discussions from the past into
their proper sections please check them out and offer suggestions.

Moderators: Jim DeVito, Dan Alaimo

beladubby

bela dubby suggestion box

Postby beladubby » Fri Apr 07, 2006 8:09 pm

I ask the precious frequenters of bela dubby coffee,beer & art what they would like to see at bela dubby.
Suggestions: more food? what types?,more music? what types?,more hours? more days open? less of john?
Lemme know.
If you would rather send me a personal email feel free.
Thanks.
Vito & Carmella

bela dubby coffee, beer &art
13321 Madison Ave.
Lakewood Ohio 44107
216-221-4479
t,w,h 10-10
fri/sat 10-midnight
sun/mon closed
DougHuntingdon

Postby DougHuntingdon » Sat Apr 08, 2006 10:31 am

Hi. I haven't been to bela dubby in a long time, so this may no longer be applicable. My vote is for more food, root beer with cane sugar, and no children's play area. Best wishes

Doug

Kenneth Warren

Postby Kenneth Warren » Sun Apr 09, 2006 9:28 am

John:

Rotate various regional junk foods as the feature of the month.

Keep the supply changing.

Or consider these:

Nantucket Nectars

Yoohoo in bottles.

Good Humor Ice Cream

Frozen yogurt from the machine.

Italian Ice in the squeeze cup.

If you are looking to experiment a little, a small glass of organic milk and two chocolates from Sweet Designs.

All this is sticky and meesy.

I happen to enjoy the children's mix. I like the vibe. For me I enjoy the energy, seeing parents and children out on the town in a unique setting.

Kenneth Warren

Bryan Schwegler

Postby Bryan Schwegler » Sun Apr 09, 2006 9:31 am

To be honest, I was there once this last summer and I just didn't "get it". Maybe I'll have to try it again.

Jim O'Bryan

Postby Jim O'Bryan » Sun Apr 09, 2006 9:40 am

John

I think the regional foods is a good idea. Maybe cross promotions with Bavarian Pastry, Elmwood Bakery, Sweet Designs, Create a Cake. What about pizza day, where each week you feature pizza froma different place. Like last night's feature was Danny Boy's. More of that great cake that Jill makes, and milk.

What about a little sound proofing on the ceiling? I would be happy to help. Gordon has always complained of levels, and last night it seemed loud.

But once again a great night. Perfect mix of humans walking through the door sharing conversations. A great thrid place.

Jim O'Bryan
Lakewood Resident

"The very act of observing disturbs the system."
Werner Heisenberg

"If anything I've said seems useful to you, I'm glad.
If not, don't worry. Just forget about it."
His Holiness The Dalai Lama
dl meckes

Postby dl meckes » Sun Apr 09, 2006 10:26 am

While I like the kitchen table & chairs, more reasonably comfortable (non-wobbly) chairs would be nice.

People have also mentioned that bela is difficult to find. Perhaps some lights in the window would help? Clients always want to meet me at the 'buck. :evil:

I like the idea of theme snacks!

And less of John? I don't think so! (unless John wants to spend less time there).

“One of they key problems today is that politics is such a disgrace. Good people don’t go into government.”- 45
Mark Crnolatas

Postby Mark Crnolatas » Sun Apr 09, 2006 10:45 am

John, ..shameless plug time. How about my band playing. We've played on the road from Vegas to NYC and everywhere in between. We came home to drop anchor. We play EVERY style there is, from low volume UNDER conversation type, to "get the place hopping"...and we were a group that had a rep for BUILDING clientle, mostly upscale hotel lounges, jazz and blues clubs, but a place is a place. People are people.

We can play ard core blues, light blues, jazz *forever*, broadway, disco, classic rock, pop, R&B, ethnic, and not repeat a song for weeks in any style. We have yet to establish ourselves in our home city. We're well known in many others but never stayed here to play.

Bryan Schwegler

Postby Bryan Schwegler » Sun Apr 09, 2006 12:45 pm

dl meckes wrote:While I like the kitchen table & chairs, more reasonably comfortable (non-wobbly) chairs would be nice.

I think that's what it was for me the time I went. It just wasn't "comfortable" to me. Phoenix, Starbucks, Carribou...those places are comfortable to me. Somewhere I'd buy a drink and relax with friends, do some schoolwork, etc. I just didn't find bela to be comfortable, especially if I was to stay awhile.

The concept is very cool, I just wish it was more comfortable and inviting. Perhaps a bunch of cushy chairs, couches, or more sturdy furniture/tables would help that.

Occasional live music would be nice plus also... ;-)

dl meckes

Postby dl meckes » Sun Apr 09, 2006 3:17 pm

Bryan-

They do have live music!

Mark-

Perhaps you will repost links to some of your music.

“One of they key problems today is that politics is such a disgrace. Good people don’t go into government.”- 45
Bryan Schwegler

Postby Bryan Schwegler » Sun Apr 09, 2006 5:39 pm

dl meckes wrote:Bryan-

They do have live music!

Great, like I said, it's been a good 9 months since the last time I checked it out. I'll have to check it out again.

Mark Crnolatas

Postby Mark Crnolatas » Mon Apr 10, 2006 12:18 am

Sure thing...here's a link to a few of songs we do,
http://www.markproject.com/markandkaren.html

One caveat tho' ...these songs were put up specifically for someone that was interested hearing mostly jazz, so this site's 7 songs are samples of just the jazz side of what we do, with the exception of the first song.

Phil Florian

Postby Phil Florian » Mon Apr 10, 2006 8:24 am

Count me in as liking the vibe during the day with kids mixed in with adults. I spoke with some of the moms and some were part of a group of moms who tour various west-side establishments with their kids. It is a nice way for stay-at-home parents to get out and not have to spend their day at a mall or Gymboree or some such. The only thing I miss is the kids videos being mixed in with the classic horror films!! :-D

I agree with the need for better street presence. I met there with co-worker last week who literally drove up and down the street looking for the place before noticing it.

More diet sodas like the Stewarts! :D Maybe the diet orange Stewarts would be cool. (I think I drink the entire Diet Stewarts rootbeer collection each week).

Keep up the eclectic music choices. I love the tunes almost all the time, regardless of genre.

Thanks for a great location!

Phil

Michael Fleenor

Postby Michael Fleenor » Wed Apr 12, 2006 1:42 pm

I think Bella Dubby is so unique, especially the fact that it is smoke-free and family friendly. The design is great and has that homey/artsy/retro feel that, to me, says "Lakewood." The art exhibits are always interesting and provocative. I hope you don't get rid of the train table/play area.
My family has especially enjoyed the series of art classes Bella Dubby has for toddlers on Saturdays with Miss. Tracey. These are as good as anything the Art Museum does, and it is great to have them right in the neighborhood.

More food choices would definitely make it more appealing--sandwiches, salad/soup, pizza, etc. I know you don't have a full kitchen. We would stop more often if there was more than drinks and desserts. I also like the fact that your window is not filled with dozens of signs, garish neon frames, etc. like you see in so many Lakewood storefronts, but I can understand how some folks might not see it driving by. Perhaps a bracket sign like the one Maria's has would make your establishment easier to spot? A couple of small tables or bench out on the sidewalk would also be good. Otherwise, I'd say, just keep doing what you are doing, and word will spread.

Stan Austin
Contributor

Postby Stan Austin » Wed Apr 12, 2006 1:45 pm

John--- Ever think about signing up to be a Barcolounger test site? :D
Stan

Jim O'Bryan

Postby Jim O'Bryan » Fri Apr 14, 2006 6:23 am

John

Have you applied to go 24 hour? there has to be something to this, as IHOP seems desperate to get there. I think you should ride on the coattails of their marketing study and give it a try.

If you decide against that how about owner friendly hours on Monday and maybe Sunday?

Jim O'Bryan
Lakewood Resident

"The very act of observing disturbs the system."
Werner Heisenberg

"If anything I've said seems useful to you, I'm glad.
If not, don't worry. Just forget about it."
His Holiness The Dalai Lama

Return to “Lakewood General Discussions”