Merry Xmas v Happy Holidays=Falwell's trick to keep you mad

The jumping off discussion area for the rest of the Deck. All things Lakewood.
Please check out our other sections. As we refile many discussions from the past into
their proper sections please check them out and offer suggestions.

Moderators: Jim DeVito, Dan Alaimo

Tom Bullock

Merry Xmas v Happy Holidays=Falwell's trick to keep you mad

Postby Tom Bullock » Sat Dec 03, 2005 5:50 pm

The news story considering whether "Christmas is under attack" is part of conservative religious extremists' fantasy that Christians are being persecuted by secular society. It is the latest tender morsel of outrage served up to a willing, receptive audience of cultural reactionaries who WANT to be angry about something all the time.

Unfortunately, an "if it bleeds it leads" media has covered this ruse as "news" and is getting eager assistance from the right wing broadcast machine (Rush Limbaugh, FOX, et al).

But the entire point of this faux fight, along with the whole list of Christian Right issues (gay marriage, Ten Commandments in public, etc.), is NOT to actually win (when was the last time a GOP President truly advanced the pro-life agenda, and didn't just use pro-life votes?) but to keep voters' blood fired up.

Why does that matter? If we are all psychologically on a war footing, if we underscore our divisions, if we talk only about the most intractable problems, the resulting style of thinking/feeling favors a certain kind of conflict, extremist politics. (For more on this read George Lakoff, who explains how language pushes psychological buttons underpinning political attitudes.)

If, on the other hand, we turn our psychological swords into plowshares, emphasize our commonalities, and focus on how we can "put our minds together to solve problems and make a better future for our children", politics looks and feels different.

Under the first, politics is shrill and divisive; moderate legislators retire and average citizens tune out.

Under the second, politics can be reasoned and unifying; moderates become the leaders in finding negotiated solutions, and average citizens find that the political system is doing a better job for them, whether it's run by Republicans or Democrats.

Which of these alternatives do *you* want?

I'd resist the urge to take up any banner in the "Merry Christmas versus Happy Holidays" fight. *Don't* fight--stay psychologically peaceful. That's the way out of Falwell's trap.

kate parker

Postby kate parker » Sat Dec 03, 2005 8:10 pm

wow, another new thread on this topic

go figure

kate

"To be honest I like president Bush as well" - Jim O'Bryan

this internets is seri0s business!
Mike Deneen

Postby Mike Deneen » Sun Dec 04, 2005 9:30 am

Thanks, Tom. This is what I was pointing out on the other thread!!

Where were you when Kate was jumping all over me the other day!!

As I said, this incredibly outdated topic is all a big straw man for the Neanderthal wing of the GOP to play its "Christians are persecuted" routine.

Despite war, hurricanes, Washington scandals, etc. this topic is all over the mass media (along with our beloved Ms. Natalee, of course).

Grace O'Malley

Postby Grace O'Malley » Sun Dec 04, 2005 10:08 am

Check out today's PD Forum section for the Letters to the Editor.

No less than three letter writers indignant that Christmas is being dissed.

Jim O'Bryan

Postby Jim O'Bryan » Sun Dec 04, 2005 10:21 am

Mike Deneen wrote:Thanks, Tom. This is what I was pointing out on the other thread!!

Where were you when Kate was jumping all over me the other day!!

As I said, this incredibly outdated topic is all a big straw man for the Neanderthal wing of the GOP to play its "Christians are persecuted" routine.

Despite war, hurricanes, Washington scandals, etc. this topic is all over the mass media (along with our beloved Ms. Natalee, of course).

Mike

You three could of talked about this at Bela's and met Todd as well. That's where Tom was!

You were missed.

Jim O'Bryan
Lakewood Resident

"The very act of observing disturbs the system."
Werner Heisenberg

"If anything I've said seems useful to you, I'm glad.
If not, don't worry. Just forget about it."
His Holiness The Dalai Lama
dl meckes

Postby dl meckes » Sun Dec 04, 2005 11:11 am

OK, I can't stand it. For the meanest satire on this subject, check out http://bettybowers.com and look at her latest newsletter.
Warning: this is offensive to many good hearted people.

“One of they key problems today is that politics is such a disgrace. Good people don’t go into government.”- 45
Tom Bullock

Postby Tom Bullock » Sun Dec 04, 2005 6:22 pm

Ken,

In pointing out that...

the blood boil . . . ultimately pumps through culture to ethnic and religious identities and differences

...are you pointing out that picking a fight over Merry Christmas v Happy Holidays is an attempt to shift from communitarian ("green meme") values to tribal/warband ("red meme") values?

The thought hadn't occurred to me, but it's a good one. (Can you post the link to meme theory here?) I would have thought the dynamic might be enforcement of traditional rules ("blue meme")--rigid adherence to rules and resistance to change which threatens to modify tradition. However, I suppose that would be more sober, rather like enforcing zoning laws against gaudy lawn ornaments and clothes lines (i.e. whether you agree with the law or not, the law is the law and it must be enforced).

As you say, the fundamental challenge is, how do we negotiate

"life in a diverse society" ?

Can we learn to co-exist as neighbors who live side-by-side peacefully--and even grow respectful of and curious about one another? Or must we respond to difference like a panicked horses, bolting through the streets, fleeing away, and rejecting people whose ways didn't have a place in the world we learned to call "normal" in our formative years?

Ellen Malonis

Postby Ellen Malonis » Mon Dec 05, 2005 6:22 am

Whenever I feel I'm being manipulated into a blood boiling moment, it helps me to "zoom out" historically and try to put things in perspective. This from the New York Times explains some of our shortsightedness when it comes to Christmas:

This Season's War Cry: Commercialize Christmas, or Else
By ADAM COHEN

"America has a complicated history with Christmas, going back to the Puritans, who despised it. What the boycotters are doing is not defending America's Christmas traditions, but creating a new version of the holiday that fits a political agenda.

The Puritans considered Christmas un-Christian, and hoped to keep it out of America. They could not find Dec. 25 in the Bible, their sole source of religious guidance, and insisted that the date derived from Saturnalia, the Roman heathens' wintertime celebration. On their first Dec. 25 in the New World, in 1620, the Puritans worked on building projects and ostentatiously ignored the holiday. From 1659 to 1681 Massachusetts went further, making celebrating Christmas "by forbearing of labor, feasting or in any other way" a crime.

The concern that Christmas distracted from religious piety continued even after Puritanism waned. In 1827, an Episcopal bishop lamented that the Devil had stolen Christmas "and converted it into a day of worldly festivity, shooting and swearing." Throughout the 1800's, many religious leaders were still trying to hold the line. As late as 1855, New York newspapers reported that Presbyterian, Baptist and Methodist churches were closed on Dec. 25 because "they do not accept the day as a Holy One." On the eve of the Civil War, Christmas was recognized in just 18 states.
"

Tom - I appreciate the sentiment in the following: "If, on the other hand, we turn our psychological swords into plowshares, emphasize our commonalities, and focus on how we can "put our minds together to solve problems and make a better future for our children", politics looks and feels different."

kate parker

Postby kate parker » Mon Dec 05, 2005 8:30 am

TPB made good points in the initial post of this thread, on that i'll agree. but i took exception with citing falwell as if that man is some sort of mouthpiece for the gop.

though most of falwell's followers are most certainly republican, not all republicans follow falwell. fortunately i see falwell for what he is - a huckster who uses Christ as a means to line his pockets.

like in the other thread on this same subject where that boob, john gibson, was mentioned, the citing of falwell (another boob) made me roll my eyes (and reply).

ellen, your post about christianity and christmas was dead on. Jesus wasn't born in december and the bible makes a few things clear on the matter of christmas trees and bowing to a man in a red suit. i should very much like to engage in conversation with you one day.

kate

"To be honest I like president Bush as well" - Jim O'Bryan

this internets is seri0s business!

Return to “Lakewood General Discussions”