Fresh Christmas Trees

The jumping off discussion area for the rest of the Deck. All things Lakewood.
Please check out our other sections. As we refile many discussions from the past into
their proper sections please check them out and offer suggestions.

Moderators: Jim DeVito, Dan Alaimo

Rhonda loje

Fresh Christmas Trees

Postby Rhonda loje » Fri Dec 02, 2005 11:33 pm

Does anyone out there know where to buy a good fresh Christmas tree. We always purchased our Christmas Tree from the guy in front of the Y. We need a good replacement. We heard he went completely out of business. Any idea?

Ellen Malonis

Postby Ellen Malonis » Sat Dec 03, 2005 8:25 am

Hi, Rhonda - I don't know much about the availability of Christmas Trees in the area, but I wanted to ask if anyone knows:

What happened to the Westpark Garden Center, which ran the plant/pumpkin/Christmas tree sales at the Y? Their main nursery was on Warren Road, and it was one of my favorite spots for plants and garden supplies - close by and with a knowledgeable staff.

I will miss it!

Vince Frantz

Postby Vince Frantz » Sat Dec 03, 2005 10:05 am

This answer won't help much...

But when I first moved to Lakewood from rural NW Ohio I needed to find some fresh Xmas trees. I ended up finding a family owned flower shop out in Amherst that had a nursery.

But... not only do I NOT remember the name of the place or even how to get there, we have bought our tree there every year for the past 5 years. I have a general idea of where it is.. but it has become an adventure each year as we try to figure out what exit to get off of, where to turn, etc.

I keep meaning to write it down. If anyone knows of any tree farms within 30 miles I would like to know.

Grace O'Malley

Postby Grace O'Malley » Sat Dec 03, 2005 10:13 am

We used to go to Fred's Tree Farm in Brunswick on Grafton Rd. His trees are cut your own and max price is $20. However, for the last few years, you've really had to hike to the end of the farm to find a BIG tree.

I'm really strapped for time this year and I hate to admit this, but I bought a tree at Home Depot. They have Frasier and balsam firs, blue spruce, scotch pine, and some others. A 6-8 foot fir was 24.95. Scotch pines are only 14.88. Right now, the selection is good. I was able to choose between several very nice, fresh specimens.

john crino

Postby john crino » Sat Dec 03, 2005 11:24 am

we bought one from cahoon's nursery on columbia rd...good trees..better prices than the Y had

Stan Austin
Contributor

Postby Stan Austin » Sat Dec 03, 2005 12:28 pm

Vince--- I got one word for you---------

Global Positioning System

Stan

Rhonda loje

Postby Rhonda loje » Sat Dec 03, 2005 2:26 pm

well we found a place that had better prices than the Y too. They have three locations: one on Rocky River Drive at Our Lady of the Angels church, the second is at the Y on Trisket and Lorain and the other is the German Place down in North Olmsted.

Now we are ready!

Thanks for all of your help.

Rhonda Loje

Bill Davis

Postby Bill Davis » Sat Dec 03, 2005 2:54 pm

In the past, we have gotten some fine trees at The Bin on Sloane. I haven't looked to see if they have them this year. As I remember, pretty good prices, too.

At Gale's I finally saw a fake tree that looked absolutly real. It cost $700.00...

Jeff Endress

Postby Jeff Endress » Sat Dec 03, 2005 3:17 pm

So...you wait until 12/26, buy it at half price, and you're all set for next year!

Jeff

Rhonda loje

Postby Rhonda loje » Sat Dec 03, 2005 3:17 pm

$700 bucks!!!!!!!!!!!!!

They must have a hell of a mark-up on that tree!

Rhonda

Kenneth Warren

Postby Kenneth Warren » Sat Dec 03, 2005 3:22 pm

My wife has been buying trees at the Bin. She has been very happy.

Though I pine for the good old days, when years back, I would buy trees from the old guy in the house on Detroit, by Garfield.

Price was great, or so it seemed. 12 or 13 bucks - at least, when I first moved here from the east coast circa '84. $50 - $75 seemed the going rate in the part of Jersey we lived at least.

I loved whole set-up. But we get what we pay for. My wife wasn't too happy with what I would bring home.

She's in charge now.

Kenneth Warren

Christine Gordillo

Fresh Christmas trees

Postby Christine Gordillo » Wed Dec 07, 2005 2:53 pm

FYI: The Bin is no longer offering fresh Christmas trees at its Sloane Ave. site. Due to the recent expansion they no longer have room for the trees. Plenty of nice, fresh roping though.

Jeff Endress

Postby Jeff Endress » Wed Dec 07, 2005 3:32 pm

And, by the way, FYI:

The pine and spruce trees which line portions of our roadways ARE NOT small "cut your own" tree farms!

Jeff

Return to “Lakewood General Discussions”