Investing in Lakewood's Future

The jumping off discussion area for the rest of the Deck. All things Lakewood.
Please check out our other sections. As we refile many discussions from the past into
their proper sections please check them out and offer suggestions.

Moderators: Jim DeVito, Dan Alaimo

Heidi Hilty

Investing in Lakewood's Future

Postby Heidi Hilty » Mon Nov 14, 2005 4:51 pm

The story on the front page of the PD Saturday, Nov. 12th, leaped off the page:
Free College Tuition: Donors pick up tab for whole town'

Apparently, starting with the Class of 2006, a new program that will underwrite up to 100% of tuition at any Michigan public college will be available for children who attend Kalamazoo public schools K-12. The program is guaranteed for the next 12 graduating classes and partial scholarships will be available to students who enter that system after kindergarten.

I don't know the population of Kalamazoo and I don't know their expected student enrollments for 2006-2017 and I don't know how many dollars are actually in trust for the pre-paid college tuition program BUT I can imagine the impact it will have on property values, desirability, their education system and their retention of future generations.

Wouldn't it be something if all the I-love-Lakewood-and-I-just-want-it-to-be-a-better-viable-community groups could get together and focus to make this program happen here? Could we unite to undertake one huge effort to invest in Lakewood' and her future generations?

I'd love to hear what all of you think

observeradmin

Postby observeradmin » Mon Nov 14, 2005 8:06 pm

How does a program like that work?

- The Management

Return to “Lakewood General Discussions”