A salute to Veterans

The jumping off discussion area for the rest of the Deck. All things Lakewood.
Please check out our other sections. As we refile many discussions from the past into
their proper sections please check them out and offer suggestions.

Moderators: Jim DeVito, Dan Alaimo

Bill Call

A salute to Veterans

Postby Bill Call » Fri Nov 11, 2005 2:59 pm

I know from my own time in the Army that the pride of service was often tinged with anger at the indifference and hostility of the American people to those who served.

Please reject those politicians who compare service to the country with the actions of Pol Pot, Hitler and Stalin.

Please reject those activists who defend terrorists and condemn the men and women fighting for freedom.

Please reject those demonstrators whose idea of meaningful protest is to have a "die in" where they "pretend to be dead" and then meet afterword for latte at Starbuck's.

Please reject those media outlets that broadcast the foulest lies about the conduct of American soldiers and then issue the correction in muted tones.

If you can't bring yourself to thank a veteran for your freedom then have the good manners to hide your contempt.

dl meckes

Re: A salute to Veterans

Postby dl meckes » Sat Nov 12, 2005 5:17 pm

Bill Call wrote:I know from my own time in the Army that the pride of service was often tinged with anger at the indifference and hostility of the American people to those who served.
I watched the ceremony at the Tomb of the Unknown. I was honestly amazed that the Commander in Chief was not there to lay the wreath and yet went to Pennsylvania to make a speech. It's not like D.C. is very far from Pennsylvania. I can't understand that.

“One of they key problems today is that politics is such a disgrace. Good people don’t go into government.”- 45
Jim O'Bryan

Re: A salute to Veterans

Postby Jim O'Bryan » Sat Nov 12, 2005 10:56 pm

Bill

You will love Issue 11. As I finish it up with a lot of help we have over 5 pages on the men and woman that put it all on the line for us every day they serve and show up for work.

Jim O'Bryan
Lakewood Resident

"The very act of observing disturbs the system."
Werner Heisenberg

"If anything I've said seems useful to you, I'm glad.
If not, don't worry. Just forget about it."
His Holiness The Dalai Lama
Radoslav Karabatkovic

Postby Radoslav Karabatkovic » Sun Nov 13, 2005 12:51 am

At LHS we took a moment to listen to Mr.Bierman who is a veteran speak about his time in the army and what Veterans Day means to him. I was amazed that there were ignorant students that talked and teachers that continued to teach during the time Mr.Bierman spoke, and during the moment of silence.

I'm not an American Citizen, but I can still tip my hat off to all the men and women who gave me the blessing to continue my life here in the United States instead of a poor, war-torn country that Bosnia has become over the past 16 years.

You never know what you have until you lose it-
and some people just don't know how blessed they are in this country.

Veterans Day is just another reminder of those who have perished for the people of this country and I feel that we as a community should do more in the future to thank them.

"I know that the accident of me being a photographer has made my life possible."

"after all, I'm just the photographer that makes the writers work look pretty."-Ivor K

Return to “Lakewood General Discussions”