Why is Lakewood Hospital tax exempt?

The jumping off discussion area for the rest of the Deck. All things Lakewood.
Please check out our other sections. As we refile many discussions from the past into
their proper sections please check them out and offer suggestions.

Moderators: Jim DeVito, Dan Alaimo

Bill Call

Why is Lakewood Hospital tax exempt?

Postby Bill Call » Fri Nov 04, 2005 1:43 pm

If Clinic facilities in Beachwood are not tax exempt why should Lakewood Hospital be tax exempt?

How much charity care does the Hospital provide?

How many of those people are Lakewood residents?

If the Cleveland Clinic has a billion dollars of its own money to expand in Florida why doesn't the Clinic use its own money to improve Lakewood Hospital?

dl meckes

Postby dl meckes » Fri Nov 04, 2005 4:48 pm

As far as I know, the City of Lakewood owns Lakewood Hospital. The Cleveland Clinic has a contract to operate the facility.

Since the city owns the hospital, it is tax exempt, like City Hall.

Who owns the Beachwood facility?

“One of they key problems today is that politics is such a disgrace. Good people don’t go into government.”- 45
Bill Call

Lakewood Hospital

Postby Bill Call » Sat Nov 05, 2005 10:18 am

The City does own the hospital.

The City pays property tax on parking lots if they generate income.
I don't' know if that applies to the parking garages next to the hospital.

How much rent does the City charge the Clinic. Does anyone know?

Joseph Milan

Postby Joseph Milan » Sat Nov 05, 2005 10:50 am

Ah, yes; the tax everything crowd has made its way here.

Now people want to "tax the hospital" because of its Cleveland Clinic connection. Taxing the hospital would result in Lakewood residents taxes (some of whom have never and may never use the hospital) going up. It would result in the cost of using the hospital going up. Would you be asking this question if the hospital had nothing to do with the clinic?
Joe

Ryan Patrick Demro

Hospital Lease

Postby Ryan Patrick Demro » Sun Nov 06, 2005 8:26 am

Last time I checked, the City receives roughly $1 million per year from the hospital.

Joseph Milan

Postby Joseph Milan » Sun Nov 06, 2005 1:03 pm

Ryan Patrick Demro wrote:Last time I checked, the City receives roughly $1 million per year from the hospital.

In other forums (some local) where this type of subject comes up, the same people who want to put higher taxes on hospitals or drug companies are the same people who want "free" health care. There's an odd disconnect with these arguments made by some. They want to increase the cost of the product by placing a tax on it, but have the government pay for it.
Joe

Bill Call

Tax Lakewood Hospital?

Postby Bill Call » Mon Nov 07, 2005 7:39 am

If various levels of government should avoid taxing the Cleveland Clinic because it increases the cost of health care should we repeal taxes on:

Housing
Cars
Clothes
Income
Doctors

About 2% of the Clinics costs are associated with charitable treatment. If a doctor gives a price break to 2% of his clients should the doctor be tax exempt?

The Clinic is a business like any other business. They compete with doctors who must pay taxes. Why is that fair?

I don't have any strong feelings on the issue. I am just wondering.

Joseph Milan

Re: Tax Lakewood Hospital?

Postby Joseph Milan » Mon Nov 07, 2005 10:07 am

Bill Call wrote:If various levels of government should avoid taxing the Cleveland Clinic because it increases the cost of health care should we repeal taxes on:

Housing
Cars
Clothes
Income
Doctors

And all these taxes are passed on to the consumer. I'm just wondering how one would justify taxing health care at the same time they want the government to pay for it.
Joe

Jeff Endress

Postby Jeff Endress » Mon Nov 07, 2005 2:33 pm

Joe

But, of course, not all health care providers have the advantage of being tax-free, "charitable" non-profits. So, the Clinic, which makes a bundle of money, as a non-profit, escapes any tax liability. Other "for profit" providers, such as Humana, however, do pay taxes on their profits. So, is it fair for a company that is only minimally "charitable", and while "not for profit" to escape tax burdens that are being paid for similar businesses?

Jeff

Joseph Milan

Postby Joseph Milan » Mon Nov 07, 2005 4:04 pm

:?: Um, thank for the answer (I Think), Jeff.
I just want to know how the "tax everything crowd", including politicians, can reconcile their beliefs with the "free health care crowd", including the same politicians.

Joe

Return to “Lakewood General Discussions”