Help for the Older Residents

The jumping off discussion area for the rest of the Deck. All things Lakewood.
Please check out our other sections. As we refile many discussions from the past into
their proper sections please check them out and offer suggestions.

Moderators: Jim DeVito, Dan Alaimo

Mark Crnolatas

Postby Mark Crnolatas » Fri Aug 26, 2005 11:25 am

In the area of Lkwd, where we live, there are more than quite a few elderly people.

These are the people that have kept up their homes, typically doubles or single home properties, well groomed and maintained, have lived and paid taxes here since pre-'30's or pre-'40s. As proud as they are (many from the Birdtown backround) , they would never ask for anything of anyone. Now they must.

Here are some of the things they are in need of, as the elderly that own property in our city, may have income that has been reduced or changed due to various circumstances :

Question: Where can these people find "helps" for the following at little or no charge?

1) Home repairs, ie: Painting exterior, interior, or plaster patching.
2) Lawn cutting, bush and hedge trimming or removal.
3) Light plumbing such as changing a faucet fixture, or shower head.
4) Patching a roof, or changing an antenna.
5. Snow plowing.

I found the Office on Aging does not provide help l for these types of things.

Can anyone suggest some resources?

Lynn Farris

Postby Lynn Farris » Fri Aug 26, 2005 4:47 pm

H2O at the high school does these types of things. At leased they did when my daughter was a member. They are an absolutely fabulous group of students that are having fun and serving the community in various ways at the same time.

Ruthie Koenigsmark

Help for Older Residents

Postby Ruthie Koenigsmark » Wed Aug 31, 2005 7:22 pm

This subject really hit home a few weeks ago at the car show. An elderly couple came to the registration booth asking for some assistance w/an old car they had. Luckily, I have some of the greatest friends in the world who jumped at the opportunity to offer assistance. Anyway, the need is definitely out there.

H2O is a great resource. The boy scouts(my son belongs to Troupe 211--so contact me if there is a particular need--like leave racking, snow shoveling, etc.) Maybe a volunteer group should be formed of concerned citizens to brainstorm. I am definately in.

"Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it's the only thing that ever has. "
--Margaret Mead.
Shawn Juris

plans are in the works

Postby Shawn Juris » Thu Sep 01, 2005 2:17 pm

This has been a concern of several residents in the area, especially snow removal from steps at the home of some of our elderly residents. The Jaycees are looking to put together a program to address this need for this fall and winter. The hope is that once a list is compiled from the office on aging we will be able to utilize some of the service organizations in the city along with some of the students that have community service requirements.
I'd be interested to hear any suggestions to help this along so that this can have a positive impact this year.

Mark Crnolatas

Postby Mark Crnolatas » Thu Sep 01, 2005 5:15 pm

It would be great if such help was available. We tried many sources last winter, regarding the snow removal, on behalf of a several neighbors, including the High School, but we did not have much success.

I hope some help will be put together by someone for these elderly and disabled. Some of the elderly were charged over $70.00 for a few passes by a stranger with a pickup truck with a plow blade. That, to one neighbor was a large bulk of her social security, which is her only income. She was glad that the snow was cleared but that again, is, to me, taking advantage of a poor situation, in my opinion.

Return to “Lakewood General Discussions”