Plans for Clifton / 117

The jumping off discussion area for the rest of the Deck. All things Lakewood.
Please check out our other sections. As we refile many discussions from the past into
their proper sections please check them out and offer suggestions.

Moderators: Jim DeVito, Dan Alaimo

Stephen Gross

Plans for Clifton / 117

Postby Stephen Gross » Fri Aug 19, 2005 5:53 pm

I've been wondering if the Clifton / W 117th intersection could be turned into a more vibrant retail district. First of all, here's the current situation there:

Population: High density, lots of retirees, lots of professionals, and lots of gay people.
Core business services: Banks, Gas stations, grocery
Restaurants: About a half-dozen low-price places (pizza joints, diners, etc).
Bars: One (twist) -- trendy, popular, busy, loud
Etc: Video store, hair salon, etc.

So with that much said, I think the intersection has potential. There's a moderate amount of foot traffic, which is a good sign. Is it possible to transform the intersection into a livelier place? Here are some ideas:

The old abandoned church: It's a beautiful building and completely unused. How about a dance club? Or a bookstore / restaurant? Or (my favorite) a branch of the library?

Raze and rebuild: The commercial buildings are all 1-story. What about adding 2nd and 3rd story residential? I realize there's an apartment glut right now, but the key thing for urban neighborhoods is to have mixed-use residential / retail buildings.

More retail / wider variety of retail: At least one mid-scale restaurant, and also boutique clothing stores.

Non-retail services: Day care, gyms, post offices, etc.

Also, I should mention that the intersection has problems (challenges?) as well as assets.

Parking: Any growth in the absolute number of businesses strains the available parking. Parking is always a tricky aspect of urban development, especially in Cleveland where no one is going to give up their cars any time soon. This issue would have to be addressed.

Traffic: At commute time, Clifton is very busy with non-pedestrian friendly traffic (around 40mph). Commuters won't appreciate the situation--traffic patterns might have to be rerouted / adjusted to encourage pedestrian traffic.

Let me know what you think,
--Steve

"Allow myself to introduce... myself."
Jim O'Bryan

Re: Plans for Clifton / 117

Postby Jim O'Bryan » Sat Aug 20, 2005 7:14 am

Stephen

From everything I have heard, the church is too expensive to save. This was from more than one group that wanted to save it. Water damage is extensive, there is a hole that allows everything in and nothing out.

However it is a building that every effort should be made to save.

W117 is undergoing a rebirth that is really something. In old Lakewood people always thought the closer to Cleveland you lived, the worse it was. This could be changing. I have heard and seen some very nice ideas for developments in the area. I have also heard that most of these groups are out getting everything to come in without help from Lakewood taxpayers which is a good thing.

I look forward to your updates on this neighborhood, and other ideas you have for it. Nothing like a fresh set of eyes on something.

Jim O'Bryan

Tom Bullock

Postby Tom Bullock » Mon Aug 22, 2005 10:49 pm

That intersection is key. Two factors: 1) it is a major commuting interchange; 2) it's only half Lakewood.

I believe that church is on the Cleveland side. Still, I'd love to see it as a bookstore/cafe or community center space.

Return to “Lakewood General Discussions”