Can cities require workers to live within borders?

The jumping off discussion area for the rest of the Deck. All things Lakewood.
Please check out our other sections. As we refile many discussions from the past into
their proper sections please check them out and offer suggestions.

Moderators: Jim DeVito, Dan Alaimo

Should Lakewood require new employees to live in the city?

Poll ended at Tue Aug 16, 2005 4:53 pm

Total votes: 0
Lynn Farris

Can cities require workers to live within borders?

Postby Lynn Farris » Thu Aug 11, 2005 4:53 pm

Interesting vote coming up at the State Level.
http://www.cleveland.com/cuyahoga/plaindealer/index.ssf?/base/cuyahoga/1123752789290461.xml&coll=2

I know we have discussed this many times. Since Ohio is a home rule state, 125 municipalities have a residency requirement for their employees. This has never been struck down by the courts. Cleveland will fight this. What do you think?

Stephen Gross

Postby Stephen Gross » Fri Aug 19, 2005 5:55 pm

Does the poll allow for voting that NO ONE should be required to live in the city? I didn't see that option. Did I miss it? If it's not there, why not?

--Steve

"Allow myself to introduce... myself."
Stan Austin
Contributor

Postby Stan Austin » Fri Aug 19, 2005 6:08 pm

Steve---- What're you talking about? Like a nuclear contaminated zone or something? :shock:

Stephen Gross

Postby Stephen Gross » Fri Aug 19, 2005 6:59 pm

>Steve---- What're you talking about? Like a nuclear contaminated zone or something?

Maybe not contaminated, but...

If the underlying principle behind residency requirements is to promote community stability, I agree with the goal but not the tactic. If you want people who work in Lakewood to live in Lakewood, craft economic incentives to encourage that kind of behavior. The flip side of residency requirements is a kind of implied exclusionary philosophy--if you're not a resident, we don't want you. The solution to the problem of community identity and stability can't lie in that kind of reasoning.

--Steve

"Allow myself to introduce... myself."
Lynn Farris

Postby Lynn Farris » Tue Aug 23, 2005 11:48 am

You are right Steve, maybe I should have included that. I don't think I can change it now, but maybe our administrators can.

The Mayor, Council and Law Director now are required to live in the city. I'm not sure if you can run for Mayor or City Council if you don't live in the city, but maybe you can. The Law Director takes over for the Mayor in the event the Mayor can no longer serve, so that is why they have always had to be residents.

observeradmin

Postby observeradmin » Tue Aug 23, 2005 10:07 pm

Lynn-

Anyone who has the capability of creating a poll may edit it by editing the post that contains the poll. In this case, it was the first post.

However, once you have voted, you can't go back and vote again, even if there is a new category.

Return to “Lakewood General Discussions”