Bald Eagle Spotted In Lakewood!

The jumping off discussion area for the rest of the Deck. All things Lakewood.
Please check out our other sections. As we refile many discussions from the past into
their proper sections please check them out and offer suggestions.

Moderators: Jim DeVito, Dan Alaimo

Jim O'Bryan

Bald Eagle Spotted In Lakewood!

Postby Jim O'Bryan » Wed Aug 03, 2005 8:37 pm

This afternoon, just west of Jim Saleet's house, the first of two bald eagles were spotted sitting and fishing along Rocky River. This would be east of the dog park by about three hundred yards.

Tonight at 5:00 pm my neighbor came over to ask about the white headed bird sitting in the tree across the street. I went out and could tell immediately, a full adult bald eagle. Hundreds of people stopped and took photos as one of Americas endearing symbols of strength, freedom, and conservation sat and looked back and the group for about two hours.

Bill Davis, resident bird watcher, stopped by and pointed out that another very large bird in the area was either its younger mate, or another young bald eagle. Finally as dusk settled on the Emerald Canyon, the great bird swooped down and proceeded to fly to it's nest.

While going back to the porch a woman mentioned that she had seen t in the morning while jogging but couldn't believe it was really a bald eagle. But from it's massive wing span you could tell it was the real deal.

It was a grand day for Lakewood, and I for one am glad this pair chose Lakewood for it's home.

Jim O'Bryan

Josh Rothhaas

Postby Josh Rothhaas » Thu Aug 04, 2005 12:03 am

I still can't fully believe we have two bald eagles living hear. that is so crazy cool

"You guys have an amazing atention span" - Cake
Jim O'Bryan

Postby Jim O'Bryan » Thu Aug 04, 2005 7:10 am

Josh Rothhaas wrote:I still can't fully believe we have two bald eagles living hear. that is so crazy cool

Actually the cliffs of Emerald Canyon are homes to many "endangered species" including Peregrine Falcons, and Federal Cats. I also believe that some members of the Sierra Club did a study and found a couple others that live on the cliffs or depend on them for food.

Also spotted in the skies over Lakewood's Emerald Canyon: Turkey Vultures, Buzzards, Red Tail Hawks. Last year one afternoon I counted 14 Turkey Vultures riding the thermals. It was an incredible sight. Makes me wonder why Lakewood does not have a Buzzard Day and Festival?

Jim O'Bryan

Jeff Endress

Postby Jeff Endress » Thu Aug 04, 2005 9:21 am

Not only is it VERY cool that the canyon is home to our peregrins (and now, apparently Bald Eagles), these birds provide the West End of Lakewood with an invaluable service in pigeon control.

I recently saw a falconery demonstration with a Turkey Vulture (very ugly), a Harris and Red tailed hawk and a barn Owl. Birds were trained to swoop over the audience, landing on the keepers gloved arm. Magnificent animals. When a vulture with a 6' wing span swoops within a foot of your head, you really appreciate the size and majesty.

I would imagine that ODNR has, or will, band these eagles. If they don't have names, I think we should see about claiming naming rights for Lakewood. Can anyone find out from ODNR anything about the pair and if banded ? If they are banded, can we officially name them? (Like the Terminal Tower falcons).

Jeff

Stan Austin
Contributor

Postby Stan Austin » Thu Aug 04, 2005 10:07 am

Jeff--- Tremendous idea!

A couple of thoughts went through my mind about the whole concept of giving names to these majestic birds.
Any name has to match the significance that we feel for them. Unfortunately, my first sad thought were with the folks in Brookpark today and how their loved ones might be remembered through a name on a noble bird. We hope and pray that we in Lakewood won't be faced with such a sad opportunity.
Another line of thought was that the names have to be meaningful to lots of people and somehow unique.
So, in that vein let me propose two names---- Emerald for the female and Canyon for the male!

Stan

Jeff Endress

Postby Jeff Endress » Thu Aug 04, 2005 10:29 am

Stan

Great suggestion. It far exceeds my original thoughts of "Spike" and "Fluffy". Since I also tend to name my pets after beers (Such as Guinness, my stoop cigar campanion) I was also considering Pabst and Busch, but I like yours better.

Need to check with Obi re: copyright issues.

Jeff

Jim O'Bryan

Postby Jim O'Bryan » Thu Aug 04, 2005 11:13 am

Jeff Endress wrote:Stan

Great suggestion. It far exceeds my original thoughts of "Spike" and "Fluffy". Since I also tend to name my pets after beers (Such as Guinness, my stoop cigar campanion) I was also considering Pabst and Busch, but I like yours better.

Need to check with Obi re: copyright issues.

Jeff

As we know the person that owns the name "Emerald Canyon" and they have promised to allow Lakewood buisnesses and civic groups I do not think it is a problem.

But I will be honest I thought Deb and Jim were pretty good.

Lynn Farris

Postby Lynn Farris » Thu Aug 04, 2005 6:52 pm

This is so cool. Great Picture - whose the photographer?

Chuck Greanoff

Postby Chuck Greanoff » Fri Aug 05, 2005 9:10 am

Gee, I thought I was Lakewood's last "Bald Eagle"...(The Indian Guides name my father stuck on me!)...seriously, how cool. Long Live Lakewood.

Long Live Lakewood
Joe McClain

Postby Joe McClain » Fri Aug 05, 2005 9:06 pm

Congratulations on the bald eagles! And thanks for the story and photos, Jim. You know, in Virginia, if the state can identify a bald eagle nest site, it makes it impossible for someone to get a permit to develop the area.

Just thought I'd mention it.

I saw a bald eagle in the valley about two years ago in March. Great thing to see. Now, show me the Kirtland's warbler! (Should be Lakewood's city bird.)

STOSH BURGESS

Postby STOSH BURGESS » Sat Aug 06, 2005 12:55 am

This is real cool and I hope to have the same experience as some of you have had. I then question what the impact of these birds could have on our city, especially if they call it home. Imagine if they chose Lakewood Park as their new home and how they would halt all lakefront development. Of course I know nothing about these matters; I can remember a case in Ashtabula County. One of the cities was building a new high school and an endangered bird was found to live there and construction was seized immediately. Of course I do not know if the bald eagle is still endangered, but being a national symbol does raise some questions on its positive and negative impact they could have on our city. Just a thought, maybe there is no real substance to this concern.

Jim O'Bryan

Postby Jim O'Bryan » Sat Aug 06, 2005 7:13 am

STOSH BURGESS wrote:This is real cool and I hope to have the same experience as some of you have had. I then question what the impact of these birds could have on our city, especially if they call it home. Imagine if they chose Lakewood Park as their new home and how they would halt all lakefront development.

Stosh

I believe the Bald Eagle was removed from the endangered species list.

There is a nesting pair in North Ridgeville, and I think 4 nesting paigs near Sawmill Creek Golf Course. They are on the rise, but in 51 years, I do not ever remember a sighting in Lakewood!

The Peregrines which live along the cliff of the Emerald Canyon are still on the list.

Jim O'Bryan
Last edited by Jim O'Bryan on Sun Aug 07, 2005 7:32 am, edited 1 time in total.

dl meckes

Postby dl meckes » Sat Aug 06, 2005 3:32 pm

Stosh-

Many years ago I went to Durango Co., which was a wild and beautiful place. There was a huge variety of wildlife that called that area of the Rockies home. As I toured the wilderness, my hosts informed me that if I wanted to see the local Bald Eagles, we'd have to go to the mall, since for some perverse reason, that's where the eagles hung out. Go figure.

John Pyke

Bald Eagle Sightings

Postby John Pyke » Sat Aug 13, 2005 1:38 pm

We have sighted a young male bald eagle several times in Lakewood over the past 6 months. During the winter he flew east-west low over the edge of the cliff at Webb Road on at least two occasions, once stopping to perch on a neighbor's oak tree for 30 minutes or so. Another neighbor east of Webb also spotted him on several occasions. No further sightings until early August. when on two different days he swooped in from the lake and headed south, perhaps to land on the edge of the Emerald Canyon where he could be observed by the Lakewood Observer reporters. Whether in flight or at rest, he is magnificent to behold. :D

John Pyke

Return to “Lakewood General Discussions”