Walls no, Trees yes

The jumping off discussion area for the rest of the Deck. All things Lakewood.
Please check out our other sections. As we refile many discussions from the past into
their proper sections please check them out and offer suggestions.

Moderators: Jim DeVito, Dan Alaimo

Jim O'Bryan

Walls no, Trees yes

Postby Jim O'Bryan » Thu Jul 07, 2005 9:51 am

I noticed that council is looking at putting up very ugly, very foolish walls along I-90. As I live close enough to I-90 to hear the cars and trucks I would like to share a thought on this.

Put up trees, not walls.

The walls will help the houses in the immediate vicinity. HOWEVER, the reflect the sound of the vehicles so that people that now do not hear I-90 will feel that they live next to the freeway. This will affect property values all over Lakewood.

On the flip side if the city pushed the state into planting trees, every year the road would get quieter as they KILL the sound in the branches as opposed to reflecting the sound.

Just a random thought.

Jim

Stephen Calhoun

Postby Stephen Calhoun » Thu Jul 07, 2005 9:56 am

Council should not consider Walls unless they line up the volumes of literature on both sides and do a smart SWOT.

(I don't have any idea of how Lakewood's government goes about making decisions or to what extent problems, initiatives are smartly defined, framed, and analyzed.)

Ryan Patrick Demro

Walls

Postby Ryan Patrick Demro » Fri Jul 08, 2005 8:12 am

Observers,

I put a "communication" (a letter) on the city council docket to address this issue. It was in response to complaints from citizens on Lakewood Heights Blvd. regarding an ODOT project that removed a chain link fence and significant shrubbery from the rear of their properties (actually the property belongs to the State of Ohio).

I attempted to put this communication in my Housing Committee so it could get in-depth hearings to explore the types and feasability of sound barrier and absorbers, along with various alternatives including natural growth (aka. trees). Unfortunately, Councilman Dever scooped it up into the bricks and mortar committee (Public Works), where it will probably get about five minutes of consideration. I will press for thorough exploration on this issue and will notify observers when hearings take place.

Grace O'Malley

Postby Grace O'Malley » Fri Jul 08, 2005 10:51 am

Mr Demro

I am happy to hear you say that you are looking at sight and sound barriers other than those hideous brown walls.

Besides looking like they belong in an industrial park, I suggest that people actually find a street near the barriers and see how little they do to drown out the sound. You can easily find streets in Rocky River where you can see for yourself how ineffectual they are.

The homeowners who had the trees removed do deserve consideration, but I have a feeling that they would be happy with tree and bush plantings that help buffer the sound while adding beauty and value to the neighborhood.

Return to “Lakewood General Discussions”