No party affiliations listed on candidates handouts

The jumping off discussion area for the rest of the Deck. All things Lakewood.
Please check out our other sections. As we refile many discussions from the past into
their proper sections please check them out and offer suggestions.

Moderators: Jim DeVito, Dan Alaimo

Shelly Gould Burgess

The Bottom Line

Postby Shelly Gould Burgess » Sun Jul 10, 2005 9:43 am

The bottom line for me is that I want to know to what party a candidate belongs so that I have an idea of the CORE ideas the candidate is likely to represent. I love that Ryan Demro was a great supporter of the skate park. However, I know he's a Republican. Therefore I know he's likely to vote against providing equal rights to lesbians and gays. I can conclude that he's likely to be anti-choice. I therefore would NEVER vote for him, regardless of my appreciation of his efforts for certain issues which I support. (Sorry, Ryan, but when you vote for hate and bigotry, I can't vote for you, although I like you as a person.)

Party affiliation is a quick label that serves two purposes:
1.) It gives the lazy voting public a means to draw some sort of generalized conclusions about a candidate's views.
2.) It provides a warning label for those of us who care deeply about specific issues that are generally associated with particular parties.

Is it fair to make generalizations? Of course not. Is it an efficient starting point? Definitely. Just as an encyclopedia entry provides a quick overview of a topic but should not be one's sole source of information, identifying candidate affiliation is an important starting point in a voter's research procedure.

Shelly

P.S. Happy anniversary, Stosh! It's been a wonderful five years! :)

"Be like the waterfowl. It goes into the water and comes out dry." - Shri Ram Chandra of Fatehgarh
dl meckes

Postby dl meckes » Sun Jul 10, 2005 3:13 pm

Happy Anniversary to Shelly & Stosh!

:D

Shelly Gould Burgess

Postby Shelly Gould Burgess » Tue Jul 12, 2005 4:54 am

Thank you! That's nice!

"Be like the waterfowl. It goes into the water and comes out dry." - Shri Ram Chandra of Fatehgarh
Mike Deneen

This just in from the "I told you so" Department..

Postby Mike Deneen » Sun Aug 07, 2005 8:47 am

Regarding Mr. Demro's post on July 6th, which can be seen earlier in this topic.

I met Mr. Carroll yesterday at the Arts Festival and he told me himself that he is very much a republican.

The crack reporting team at the Observer does not make faulty assumptions.

Return to “Lakewood General Discussions”