Late Night Lakewood, What are your thoughts?

The jumping off discussion area for the rest of the Deck. All things Lakewood.
Please check out our other sections. As we refile many discussions from the past into
their proper sections please check them out and offer suggestions.

Moderators: Jim DeVito, Dan Alaimo

Jim O'Bryan

Late Night Lakewood, What are your thoughts?

Postby Jim O'Bryan » Wed Jun 01, 2005 5:48 am

Mary Louise Madigan sent me this letter that she had sent to council on May 2nd. She was very interested in what Lakewoodites might think about her idea. I post it here to kick off the discusson of what I think is a great idea. Be sure to vote in our poll.

May 2, 2005

Members of Council
City of Lakewood

RE: LATE NIGHT LAKEWOOD

Dear Members of Council;

Please join with me in asking the Administration to institute "Late Night Lakewood", a customer service, business friendly program that opens Lakewood City Hall one night a week, or at least twice a month, to Lakewood residents and those who want to do business here.

"Late Night Lakewood" would offer city services including building permits, housing inspections and access to other services or information about doing business in Lakewood. Lakewood employees could be offered staggered hours or an alternative schedule so that costs are limited. Flex hours could be a benefit for an employee who needs time to take care of personal or family needs. Hours could be coordinated with Council nights to encourage community participation and save in cleaning and security costs.

Citizens will benefit from the extended hours in that they do not have to take off work to get a permit, or ask a question, or get an inspection. We would be open for business beyond regular government hours.

The current economic climate forces municipalities to function in a highly competitive market in order to attract and retain residents. We have to rely on our own initiatives as state and federal dollars disappear. In the words of Mayor George "each person entering [the Building Department] is doing precisely what we desire them to do…investing in the city." Let’s work together to make it easy for everyone.

Sincerely,

Mary Louise Madigan
Council, Ward 4

Tom Bullock

Postby Tom Bullock » Tue Jun 07, 2005 11:42 pm

Making government more accessible is always a good idea; improving customer service by adding times convenient for the customers makes good sense. At the very least, this is an experiment worth trying.

FYI, a candidate for judge in Avon Lake has proposed adding a weekly session of night court (no, his name isn't Harry...), and voter response was strongly positive.

Return to “Lakewood General Discussions”