Main Street Program for Downtown Lakewood

The jumping off discussion area for the rest of the Deck. All things Lakewood.
Please check out our other sections. As we refile many discussions from the past into
their proper sections please check them out and offer suggestions.

Moderators: Jim DeVito, Dan Alaimo

dl meckes

Main Street Program for Downtown Lakewood

Postby dl meckes » Tue May 24, 2005 6:23 pm

I hadn't noticed, but the Main Street Program for Downtown Lakewood was posted on the city's website.

http://www.ci.lakewood.oh.us/pdf/DARTreport.pdf

“One of they key problems today is that politics is such a disgrace. Good people don’t go into government.”- 45
Kenneth Warren

Postby Kenneth Warren » Tue May 24, 2005 7:47 pm

Thanks for the notice, dl.

There are a number of lines for stories and action steps.

I read the report quickly tonight. Out of the box, I noticed several opportunities for collaboration with the Lakewood Observer - primarily on the surveying and promotion.

If cash is limited, it might be possible to dislodge the pro process, open up time banks and deploy LO/citizen/LA/Chamber/local business teams to capture the data and hit the streets in ways which will particularly master Lakewood matters.

This may be an opportunity to bring everybody together, inquiring, talking, and capturing data in ways that are unique to our city building, and consistent with Dr. Calhoun's prescription for inclusive inquiry into the city that knows itself.

I believe the LO team should read the report and think critically about the content and action steps for point of convergence. I think it can inform our strategic actions for building the Lakewood brand, community and economy. There may even be a grant hook, dl.

Here's a taste of the report:

The area media can help Downtown in many ways by providing cost effective promotion and advertising. Get to know your media personally. Find out how you can help them to help you. Here are some suggestions you can try: Work with the local newspaper to submit a weekly downtown news column. Include news about whatís new in downtown businesses, promotions, events, and Main Street updates. Take the time to go into individual businesses to get this information. Submit downtown events and happenings to local and regional radio stations. Most have free community spotlights. Some have programs that give you an opportunity to be a guest weekly, monthly or quarterly. Advertise on local cable programs. They may offer short ads on selected channels for very little cost. Some cable programs will allow you to even have your own show highlighting progress and happenings in your district and interviewing individual businesses downtown. Consider cooperative district-wide advertising with local businesses on all types of media to advertise as a district and to keep costs down for everyone. Get creative with your joint advertisingÖ..show what you have to offer and donít forget your unified downtown logo! There are some great marketing materials for the City, however, if you wish to market your downtown/s as a destination, you must first establish it as one. A separate brochure or a separate section of an existing one will set this area apart as a ìspecialî place. Promote the existing businesses and services the downtown has as a whole entity; a destination. When clustering business types for a joint promotion, consider showing product in a creative way. Using a professional to design the advertisement may be worth the investment The Antique Dealerís Association has the right idea about advertising jointlyÖit shows that there is quite a destination for antiques. o Create a Main Street Newsletter to update the district on Main Street projects and accomplishments. You may consider highlighting businesses in each issue to educate the district."

Kenneth Warren

Tom Bullock

Postby Tom Bullock » Tue Jun 07, 2005 11:49 pm

FYI, I'm hoping to write a feature on this proposed development plan in the near- to mid-future...

It would be helpful, at the appropriate moment, to connect with project designers/participants/allies/critics for interviews.

This article could lend itself to an intriguing graphical presentation--i.e. an article teaser:

What if this... [photo of current downtown] ...were to look like THIS [artist's sketch of redesigned, spruced streetscape]??

Jeff Endress

Postby Jeff Endress » Fri Jun 10, 2005 6:57 am

Mark

The business friendly issue is real. I haven't had many run-ins (business-wise), but two experiences point towards an enviroment which, if not hostile, certainly isn't friendly.
While it was 18 years ago, the three appearances that it required for approval of my business signage was expensive, both in terms of time and money invested.
Then there was a citation issued to repair the fence around the office which was damaged when a car lost control and ended up in the front flower bed.....I think we got the cite, as Baker was towing the car away.
On the positive side, the manner in which building approval was handled for the library project, was certainly very smooth.

Jeff

dl meckes

Postby dl meckes » Fri Jun 10, 2005 12:01 pm

When are these meetings scheduled?

There are a couple of areas in which I have a particular interest (not that I can actually attend any more meetings).

Mark (or other Observers) - any reports/info you could give us would be very appreciated.

This has the potential to impact Lakewood in a significant manner.

“One of they key problems today is that politics is such a disgrace. Good people don’t go into government.”- 45
Stephen Calhoun

Postby Stephen Calhoun » Fri Jun 10, 2005 6:22 pm

As always, whenever stuff is chewed over in meetings, it interests me what the guiding principles and methods of knowledge creation are.

What's the model?

What's the filtering system?

Who's on top?

Return to “Lakewood General Discussions”