What ever happened to...

The jumping off discussion area for the rest of the Deck. All things Lakewood.
Please check out our other sections. As we refile many discussions from the past into
their proper sections please check them out and offer suggestions.

Moderators: Jim DeVito, Dan Alaimo

Jeff Endress

Postby Jeff Endress » Mon Jun 06, 2005 3:23 pm

No Stan, I was a Lou's barber shop guy myself...Nothing like a flat top with a fresh stick of Butch Wax....If there weren't any adults around, he'd let you look at the Playboys.....

Jeff

Jeff Endress

Postby Jeff Endress » Mon Jun 06, 2005 3:40 pm

quote]Speaking of barbershops - remember Oscar's barbershop in that crazy shaped building on Madison west of Baxterly[/quote]

I'm not sure why, but I'm somewhat troubled by Suzanne's inquiry about a barber shop....[I think we need further explanation of her barbershop memories

Jim O'Bryan

Postby Jim O'Bryan » Mon Jun 06, 2005 5:09 pm

Stan Austin wrote:And all you Cool LHS guys...(He always had a glass of wine for you at Christmas time).

That's kind of sounds like MJ's Jesus Juice!

I got my haircut at a bunch of different places. But I started at Clifton Barber, with Marge and Andy, and until the Reagle Beagle, I stayed with Clifton Barber.

Jim O'Bryan

Suzanne Metelko

Postby Suzanne Metelko » Mon Jun 06, 2005 8:57 pm

Jeff,

You should be disturbed because for my entire childhood my mother would take me to Oscar's on the last day of school, have my hair cut into the dreaded "pixie" cut and then promptly apply the very fashionable "Toni" home perm. Yes, I was certainly a site but take heart, my hair was never in my eyes, an important health benefit because we all know how leathal "hair in the eyes" can be. Right up there with having your face freeze in that expression.

I love my mother anyway.

Suzanne

Jeff Endress

Postby Jeff Endress » Thu Jun 09, 2005 2:26 pm

As I was putting on my Berkies, I remembered another great Detroit Ave. institution...

Bill Jones Leather and those wonderful custom made sandals. After 15 years of dailey summer use, and a few repairs, they finally met their match in a Yellow Lab named Molson.

Wish I had both of them back.

Suzanne Metelko

Postby Suzanne Metelko » Thu Jun 09, 2005 4:26 pm

Walker's Shoes. Mr. Walker measured me for school shoes every fall. I'm not sure I've had a pair of shoes fit properly since.

Stan Austin
Contributor

Postby Stan Austin » Thu Jun 09, 2005 5:41 pm

Jeff and Suzanne--- That block must have been the "shoe store block" because there was Lakewood Juvenile Shoes. That store was just fine when I was a kid and I (and my Mom who took me down there) was oblivious to any kind of fashion.
Julius -the owner-kind of missed the whole Brittish Invasion thing with the boots and all.

Stan

mary ross coleman

Postby mary ross coleman » Tue Jun 21, 2005 2:56 pm

Jim,

Thanks for mentioning Crazy Kenny, I sometimes think I still see him meandering down Detroit.

And how about the sub shop on Carabel off Madison?

Mark Crnolatas

A bit more.

Postby Mark Crnolatas » Fri Jun 24, 2005 6:24 pm

I had my hair cut in the INA, bottom floor. Joe Bartuccio, Lakewood Continental Barber Shop.
Here's one. The Homestead Theater.
Bud's Deli, just west of Baxterly on Madison and at the corner of Lincoln adn Madison, Lincoln Deli, was our candy and comic supply as pre-teens.
When I turned 16, I used to be able to spend 6 or 8 hours just driving around Lakewood, every weekend and never get tired of it.
Anna's Pizza on Brown and Madison. Wow, she made awesome food.
Yes, I agree, the years of 67-69 were lost in history, and my guess water pipes and love beads.
Jazz music at the Riviera on Detroit. I had a band there for quite awhile
after I got out of the service.

Mark Crnolatas

And...

Postby Mark Crnolatas » Fri Jun 24, 2005 11:36 pm

Meilanders and Bobson's Hardware. Now we have to go to Cleveland, W.117 and walk that double airplane hanger just for a box of screws.

Jeff Endress

Postby Jeff Endress » Sat Jun 25, 2005 9:59 am

Mark,

I know its over the bridge, but there's still Ingersoll's.

Bill Davis

Postby Bill Davis » Sat Jun 25, 2005 1:09 pm

How about Hugh's Delicatessen at Kenilworth and Detroit, now part of the Kenilworth Tavern. That's were I spent my allowance. I also was sent to buy many quarts of milk there.

Across the street where Almira Tire is, used to be Rick Case's first store in the "You meet the nicest people on a Honda" days. Then it became an Amphicar dealer. You know, the one you could drive right into the water! After that it was a Renault dealer, selling only Renault Dauphines.

dl meckes

Postby dl meckes » Mon Jun 27, 2005 9:41 pm

Bill Davis keeps reminding me of the wonderful "Yesterday's Lakewood" collection at http://www.clevelandmemory.org/lakewood/.

Stan Austin
Contributor

Postby Stan Austin » Sat Jul 30, 2005 2:15 am

Jeff--It's not so off topic and in that vein I can remember constant admonishons about rudeness.

Specifically, there are always childish and youthful impuleses to shout out "Hey, what's wrong with that guy?!" which everybodys' parents curbed. There was generally more mannerliness then so that the thought of anything other than strawberries being sold on the street was unthinkable.

Return to “Lakewood General Discussions”