"Save Lakewood Hospital" Group Meets

The jumping off discussion area for the rest of the Deck. All things Lakewood.
Please check out our other sections. As we refile many discussions from the past into
their proper sections please check them out and offer suggestions.

Moderators: Jim DeVito, Dan Alaimo

Jim O'Bryan

"Save Lakewood Hospital" Group Meets

Postby Jim O'Bryan » Mon Feb 23, 2015 8:10 am

No photos in the library without permission, the head of the group asked for no photos, so
we sent our artist in for this rendering.

Yesterday at 4pm a group going by the name of "Save Lakewood Hospital" meet at
Lakewood Library's All-Purpose Room. Despite the size it was pretty interesting hearing
the ideas and names at the table, 3 ex-councilmen, 6 lawyers, 1 State Senator, and a lot
of ideas and a plan of action.

They have come up with 3 "Action Points" to work from, and will meet again soon as each
went off to do their due diligence into if Lakewood Hospital can be saved.

Stay tuned.

Jim O'Bryan
Lakewood Resident

"The very act of observing disturbs the system."
Werner Heisenberg

"If anything I've said seems useful to you, I'm glad.
If not, don't worry. Just forget about it."
His Holiness The Dalai Lama
Bill Call

Re: "Save Lakewood Hospital" Group Meets

Postby Bill Call » Mon Feb 23, 2015 5:26 pm

They have a steep hill to climb.

Unless four members of City Council are willing to stand up for the people of Lakewood this is a done deal. Of course when I say done deal you have to realize that no one has told the people of Lakewood what the deal actually is. Odd.

The "Lakewood Wellness Committee" is meeting in private to discuss Lakewood's future. In any other City that would be cause for concern. :D

Sometimes the answer to one question answers all others. Which question is that?

My entry is:

Cui Bono?

Jim O'Bryan

Postby Jim O'Bryan » Tue Feb 24, 2015 10:42 am

Bill

This is the interesting part.

Groups trying to stop the deal, none of them saying what they would do next.

Many aspects of this deal will go to the vote of the people. Charter change of hospital dissolution.

Speaking with some potential candidates I ran into this morning, I said, "I doubt this gets cleaned
up or finished by this Council. Judging by who is being asked to run by whom and the reasons why
I have to believe that many see this as going past November. Candidates being lined up that will
finish the deal, and will vote for "Active Living."

I have to think even if Council passes everything, there are groups talking of referendums, so that
could undo everything, or really place a burden on everyone including the City. Placing us once
again in a "Civil War" type election cycle, where politics become sport, and people willing to say
and do anything to get their deal done. I was talking with one savvy political figure that was telling
me he thought it would carry until the Spring and a Special Election, which makes the win easier
for those with political machines behind them.

Stopping this deal is easy. But you better have something better in the wings.

Jim O'Bryan
Lakewood Resident

"The very act of observing disturbs the system."
Werner Heisenberg

"If anything I've said seems useful to you, I'm glad.
If not, don't worry. Just forget about it."
His Holiness The Dalai Lama
marklingm

Postby marklingm » Tue Feb 24, 2015 1:27 pm

Jim O'Bryan wrote:Stopping this deal is easy. But you better have something better in the wings.

Jim,

It is easier than you think given the way all of these shenanigans were held secretively behind the shadows.

Anything is better than an outcome that was derived through an improper process.

If the same outcome results from a transparent and accountable process (following various Ohio laws), then so be it.

But, we have yet to see what a transparent and accountable process will produce.

You want a "better" outcome but let's first have a "better" process!

Matt

Bill Call

Postby Bill Call » Tue Feb 24, 2015 3:09 pm

Matthew John Markling wrote:[
But, we have yet to see what a transparent and accountable process will produce.

You want a "better" outcome but let's first have a "better" process!

Matt

The Cleveland Clinic has been closing down Lakewood Hospital for at least 10 years, maybe longer. The Mayor and Council and Hospital Board gave up on the Hospital as well, who know how long ago.

The proposed Lakewood Family Health Center is less than half the size of what the Clinic has in Brunswick, population 32,000. People who visit the Lakewood Center will

Pay the facility fee
Pay the deductible
Pay the copay

and

Then be told that if they need follow up care they can go to Avon where they

Pay the facility fee
Pay the deductible
Pay the copay

Eventually people will just go to Avon in the first place. The Lakewood facility is designed to fail.

According to US News most recent report Lakewood Hospital had:

Admissions: 8,647
Inpatient surgeries: 2,131
Outpatient visits: 146,381
Emergency room visits: 35,180

The most recently published financial statements showed nearly $140 million in revenue. And that is after the Clinic began its slow destruction of the Hospital.

While there was a loss before Medicaid reimbursement the loss was much less than the charge for "uncompensated care". The so called loss is not the result of lack of need or a lack of business.

At the minimum Council should insist that any money in the Foundations accounts and any money received from the Clinic should be transferred to a Special Revenue Fund for Health and Wellness under the control of City Council and the Mayor and open to public review.

The members of the Hospital Board and Foundation should not be allowed any say in the use of those funds.

The money will be set aside in a special fund dedicated to the Health and Wellness of the people of Lakewood. Why would the Board Members object to that?

Return to “Lakewood General Discussions”